Need laptop recommendations

Quiz

Gawd
Father wants to spend around $800-$1,000 on a work (Microsoft Office, email, etc.) laptop. Any recommendations? Screen should be around 14".

Framework 13".... My unit has been great. 11th Gen. Battery life is the only "issue" on this specific model, 5 hrs tops. But the 13th Gen model has a slightly bigger battery and more efficiency so it's supposed to be a bit better in that department.

Reactions: Axman
like this
Could any reasonable Dell or HP do?
A Dell XPS 13 is one of the best Windows laptops and would work well for your dad's needs. My dad also didn't want a Mac, so I got him an XPS 13. He's very pleased with it, especially the touchscreen.

A Dell XPS 13 is one of the best Windows laptops and would work well for your dad's needs. My dad also didn't want a Mac, so I got him an XPS 13. He's very pleased with it, especially the touchscreen.
Aren't those more expensive than his budget? Or can you find one within $800-$1,000?

I'm probably going to pick up a Framework now that they have AMD options, but if I don't, it will be a Lenovo.

I've been on Lenovos for 10+ years.

Aren't those more expensive than his budget? Or can you find one within $800-$1,000?
Look up 10th and 11th gen models on Dell's website. I paid about $900 for my dad's XPS 13.

M1 MacBook Air
I wouldn’t recommend a MacBook for heavy MS Office use especially if someone is coming from a windows platform. We have both at work, and the Mac users constantly complain about it not being as friendly as the Windows version, especially Excel.

I bought a refurbed 2018 Dell Latitude 7480 for £150 with 16GB and 250GB SSD.

Works perfectly. 7+ hours battery life and all the ports you need all built in. I swapped in a 16GB dual rank RAM set I had and a Intel H10 500GB NVMe SSD I had spare and it works a treat for all the Office/Web stuff.

I bought a refurbed 2018 Dell Latitude 7480 for £150 with 16GB and 250GB SSD.

Works perfectly. 7+ hours battery life and all the ports you need all built in. I swapped in a 16GB dual rank RAM set I had and a Intel H10 500GB NVMe SSD I had spare and it works a treat for all the Office/Web stuff.
Nice thing about those slightly older laptops is their upgradeable memory and storage. 👍

Back