Need help

P

ProjectChaos

Hey guys,

I just got a new 80gig WD HD and I was wondering, I currently have an old compaq HD in my computer (hence the upgrade). The only thing is after about 2 hours of searching I cannot find my windows xp cd, is there anyway I can transfer data from one HD to another or something of that sort? I really just dont want my new HD to just sit there and rot.

Thanks,

~pC

I would recommend using norton ghost, version 2003 or higher will do the job fine. If you performed a full format of the hdd when installing xp (rather than the quick format I tend to go for) then ghost6 will manage fine too.

I think there are other proggies that will do a similar job but I use ghost frequently and I'm sure it costs less than another xp cd!

Maybe now that it's had a bumpage others can offer cheaper/better alternatives.

Edit: Just remembered that the "Ultimate boot cd" also has a freeware disk clone util on it, but I dont know anything about it such as how good/easy it is. Get the details here
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

if I remeber correctly, Microsoft might send you another cd, if you have the cd key. contact them thru their support section of their webpage. wont hurt to ask...
and yes Norton Ghost sounds like a good bet too.

If thats a brand new hd u can use the utilities from the floppy to transfer all the old data onto the new hd

Back