Need help with memory

Top Nurse

Supreme [H]ardness
Any ideas here to make this run a bit faster? I think the RAM is letting me down so I need some recommendations on ram. I also plan on popping in next month an Opteron 185 Denmark 2.6 Ghz so I will need memory compatible with that as well.

MB: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
CPU: Athlon 3500+ Winchester 939 socket @1.5 volts (currently 247 x 11)
Memory: Corsair XMS Pro (512 x 2) the one with the activity LED's @ 2.9 volts
Video: Asus EN 6600 GT
PSU: PCP&C 510 SLI
HD's: 74 Gb Raptor (3)

Water Cooling:

CPU: Aqua Computer (AC) Cuplex XT
NB: AC TwinPlex
GPU: AC TwinPlex
VR: AC VR block
Pump: AC Aquastream (OC to 72 Hz making 2.6 LPM flow)
Reservoir: AC Aquatube
Radiator: HwL Black Ice Pro 360
Tubing size: 6mm ID
Water controller: AC Aquaero

You can find my worklog right here.

just curious.. what does your water cooling have to do with memory? :p

what's wrong with it? what makes you think the memory isn't fast enough? is your system overclocked? what settings? throw me a bone? ;)

I think just upgrading to a 2gb kit would get rid of any memory bottlenecks you are having. What OS are you running?

just curious.. what does your water cooling have to do with memory? :p

what's wrong with it? what makes you think the memory isn't fast enough? is your system overclocked? what settings? throw me a bone? ;)

Whoops I forgot to add in the screen shot. :eek: (see below) I'm currently running 2.717 Ghz @ 247 x 11 (2.2 Ghz stock). Just threw in all the specs because I see a lot of people asking questions and don't want to say what they are doing. I could water cool the ram if you think it would be helpful. :D

When I run the GO program just stressing the CPU it will run all day. When I add in the CPU + Ram testing I immediately get errors. :(

FFI_071307LoadTemps.jpg

I think just upgrading to a 2gb kit would get rid of any memory bottlenecks you are having. What OS are you running?

XP Pro

So what kind of memory would you recommend for what I got now and for the Opteron. Someone said you have stock water cooled memory?

and nothing in that screenshot shows what matters in this forum: memory settings

what speed and timings?
what memory slots are you using?
how hot does the ram get? if you're using all water, i bet you have pretty minimal water flow, they must be pretty warm under load.

and nothing in that screenshot shows what matters in this forum: memory settings

what speed and timings?
what memory slots are you using?
how hot does the ram get? if you're using all water, i bet you have pretty minimal water flow, they must be pretty warm under load.

Ram gets warm and it isn't water cooled ATM.

I'm using the pair of blue slots in Dual Channel mode (512K in each slot x 2)

Timings as below:

MemSettings71307.jpg

MemSettings71307_B.jpg

using your temperature probe (finger) how long can you press against it without getting burned?

> 60 seconds

If it is important I can add a temp sensor to my ram modules.

nah, they are no where near hot, sounds like they are just warm.. heat is not even an issue. you're running them pretty tight, looks like it's time for more (and better?) ram.

nah, they are no where near hot, sounds like they are just warm.. heat is not even an issue. you're running them pretty tight, looks like it's time for more (and better?) ram.

Any recommendations? I would probably pop for a pair of 1 Gb sticks.

Any recommendations? I would probably pop for a pair of 1 Gb sticks.

crucial ballistix are guaranteed micron D9... that's if your looking for memory to handle very high bus rates... if that isn't a concern choose some lower tier ballistix... they are good memory, and there's no reason to check serials, it's all good.

Micron doesn't make D9 for the DDR1 I believe

they do, but it's not what people think because simply saying "get D9" means nothing when ALL MICRON FBGA CHIPS START WITH 'D9'! :mad:

anyway, back to the problem at hand. how does memtest check out?

they do, but it's not what people think because simply saying "get D9" means nothing when ALL MICRON FBGA CHIPS START WITH 'D9'! :mad:

anyway, back to the problem at hand. how does memtest check out?

exactly the point why you want D9 chips, so you know they are micron made.

Will this run on my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board?

No, but you asked about our our watercooled memory and it's all DDR2. Time for a platform upgrade? ;)

DDR1 choices are very limited right now. Good chips are hard to find.

that logic hurts my brain

hehe, I understand all the different chip designation. Alot of people say "make sure it's D9" because many other manufacturers use different chips, some of which are D9, so you get this quest and huge 100 page thread on how to indentify which batches have D9... I say screw all the drama and just buy crucial memory, so you know it's D9 chips.. not even bothering to get into further detail with D9GMH, etc... simplie ;)

c2d time!

I'm an AMD kind of gal. The last time I owned an Intel processor it was a 386-SX 25 Mhz. If AMD goes out of biz I guess i would be forced to buy an Intel chip. In the mean time the Opteron's look good to me. :D

Back