Need Help With HT Placement

AliceCooper

[H]ard|Gawd
So the house my wife and I decided to purchase ended up being a challenge to get the HT setup right. We had the TV in the corner, but recently got a big TV hutch thing so now it's basically out in the open. The orange box is the TV stand, on either side is a Boston Acoustics VR40 (L/R) and on top is a Boston Acoustics VR10 (Center) powered by a Sunfire TGA-5200. Behind the TV stand on the right side is a Boston PV1000 subwoofer. The brown boxes are the couches. The black box on the right is a fireplace which is horribly placed. I am trying to figure out where to place my subwoofer because the bass is pathetic and I know this sub can move some air. Behind the left couch is a bannister until the red mark, then its a wall. We have a pitched vaulted ceiling that is about 12ft high in the middle right above the TV. My sub is a down firing sub with a passive radiator on the back which is facing the wall. I am trying to keep it all close and out of the way. I am thinking I might have to do something in the dining room area. I would rather not put my sub next to the couch as it creates too much bass from one side. Any help is appreciated. I have a much better room downstairs, but that room is going to be used for something else and would rather the upstairs be the main point of entertainment for guests.

Attachments

• HT_Room.jpg
    HT_Room.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 44
Open floor plans.. I have one too. It really isn't conducive for a nerd lifestyle or living room.

Sorry I cannot offer any help, but hopefully others can post screenshots so I can copy.

Open floor plans.. I have one too. It really isn't conducive for a nerd lifestyle or living room.

Sorry I cannot offer any help, but hopefully others can post screenshots so I can copy.

Ha, I know right? We bought it because of the open plan, now my theater setup is struggling. I had two Boston VR-M50's and no center channel and the mids were non existent. Picked up the other gear off my dad so I have mids now haha. Future plans are the M50s are going on the wall behind the couch up high for surround, but I need to fix the bass issue first.

What is behind the couch at the bottom of your diagram? Is it your primary window? I have a similar room and I have my screen on a credenza in front of the window. Works fine for me. But the hutch could be a problem, that's why I swore off hutches about 15 years ago. Is there any reason why you couldn't put the hutch in the corner or is it just too big? Or if there's enough room, could the hutch be next to the fireplace? I can't imagine the hutch out in the open like that since the back of it must be unsightly. Or at least put the hutch in front of the staircase with the couches forming a u-shape in front of it.

What is behind the couch at the bottom of your diagram? Is it your primary window? I have a similar room and I have my screen on a credenza in front of the window. Works fine for me. But the hutch could be a problem, that's why I swore off hutches about 15 years ago. Is there any reason why you couldn't put the hutch in the corner or is it just too big? Or if there's enough room, could the hutch be next to the fireplace? I can't imagine the hutch out in the open like that since the back of it must be unsightly. Or at least put the hutch in front of the staircase with the couches forming a u-shape in front of it.

Yes it is the main window at the front of the house. I was not really wanting a hutch, but it was what we ended up with. It's a big hutch (60" tv). It would look really weird in the corner below the fireplace, I think we tried that at first and my M50s on their stands just didn't fit well, the VR40s would be the same. It would barely fit next to the fireplace leaving no room for my speakers, it would also leave a bunch of wasted space where the hutch currently is. The back of the hutch isn't too bad, the actual backing is the worst part, the wires are hidden and we have a decorative table with decorations on it behind it to hide the back for the most part. The fire place gets in the way of the couches facing the banister. It's pretty difficult lol. I've thought about picking up a Stereo Integrity HT-18 V2 and putting it next to the left couch at the end and making an end table enclosure for it. Might do the trick, but that means more money spent lol.

Played around with sub placement tonight. I found a pretty dang good spot that works really well. Its next to the couch on the left where the banister ends. Every seat on each couch has really nice bass and it's pretty even. The ones sitting where the two couches meet get a little uneven bass exposure due to the corner, but on the right side of the bottom couch (where I sit) it's actually really perfect. I've been eye balling that spot, but didn't think it would have made the difference it did. Now the problem is I want more lol. Need to get my M50's hooked back up. Hope this helps you out Verge.

Edit: Also the only other part of the house that has bass is the corner of the dining room so that will need to be fixed as well for a nice listening experience throughout the upstairs when music is playing :).

There is quite an easy way to solve your problem, add more bass lol

But seriously, place in the corner, near your preferred sitting position and you'll be fine. Others won't but open floor plans suck.

I have an open floor plan with an open stair well behind me. I have an 18 and two 12's with about 4K watts going to all of them and I still struggle...

There is quite an easy way to solve your problem, add more bass lol

But seriously, place in the corner, near your preferred sitting position and you'll be fine. Others won't but open floor plans suck.

I have an open floor plan with an open stair well behind me. I have an 18 and two 12's with about 4K watts going to all of them and I still struggle...

That was my plan at first, I was looking at a Stereo Integrity HT-18 V2 and was going to build a custom end table enclosure for it and power it with a plate amp, but I may not need it now. The seating area is filled with bass really well, the rest of the house, has basically nothing lol. That's quite a bit of power, what drivers?

That was my plan at first, I was looking at a Stereo Integrity HT-18 V2 and was going to build a custom end table enclosure for it and power it with a plate amp, but I may not need it now. The seating area is filled with bass really well, the rest of the house, has basically nothing lol. That's quite a bit of power, what drivers?
Dayton um18 and two Magnum 12"s. The Magnum is a custom eminence driver.

Back