Need help with computer connected to 50" TV

michael_saxon

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Panasonic PT50LC13 50" LCD TV and I have my comptuer hooked up to it with a 9800 pro video card. The TV resolution should be 1280 x 720 and I have the computer set at that resolution and the left, right, and top seem to go off the screen just a bit. What can I do to fix this? Thanks.

It's called Overscan. It's intentional and there isn't anything you can really do about it.

You will need powerstrip and you will need to run at a resolution less than 1280x720. Something like 1186x704 or similiar will get rid of the overscan but it will also decrease the picture quality as you are no longer 1 to 1 pixel mapping.

Why would they deliberately make it not fit onto my screen? That doesn't make a lick of sense to me...

It's because TV signals that are broadcast contain little bits of information in the first few lines of the broadcast which contain closed captioning and such. So TV manufacturers have adopted having a 5-10% overscan on all sides to make it even.

Thanks for clearing that up. It stinks, however, and I can't believe my $3000 TV with a DVI connection can't properly and accurately render a computer screen.

It can it just takes a little bit of work. Download powerstrip and go look on avsforums.com for the resolution thread there are lots of people with your tv and a htpc so I am sure someone has found a good compromise.

I read through your thread, but it looks like you are still suffering from the overscan issue that I am? Am I wrong?

the answer is there. DVI is no go for overscan. VGA and Component can eliminate overscan but you loose 1:1 pixel mapping. Thats a brief summary. I stretch my task bar to twice width and resize windows accordingly works for me. I do have pics with settings and all at my site.

MaddJoser said:
the answer is there. DVI is no go for overscan. VGA and Component can eliminate overscan but you loose 1:1 pixel mapping. Thats a brief summary. I stretch my task bar to twice width and resize windows accordingly works for me. I do have pics with settings and all at my site.
Technically you can lock in the 1280x720 timings with powerstrip and set a smaller resolution that just barely fills the whole screen.

Stereodude--

I tried that very thing, but it then shifted everything to the left and left some 6" gap on the right that was whacked out when my cursor poked on that side.

Do I need to adjust something else as well?

michael_saxon said:
Stereodude--

I tried that very thing, but it then shifted everything to the left and left some 6" gap on the right that was whacked out when my cursor poked on that side.

Do I need to adjust something else as well?
Not sure. I haven't tried it so I don't know how exactly it works.

Hey. I have a little bit of underscan on the left and top of my screen. I run a Grand Wega III 42" LCD screen on my x800 XT PE. I don't use Powerstrip, I use the Omega Drivers at omegadrivers.net and I used a guide on avsforums.com to tune the Grand Wega III.

I think Dallas can help you. 1x1 pixel mapping, even with a little underscan, is amazing.

Back