need help to match video card with 2K monitor

technut74

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new system....have about a $2500 budget to work with. I'm just stuck on which video card to go with. Here are the specs for the build.
i7-6700k cpu
16gb ddr4 memory
MSI Z170A GAMING M7 motherboard
looking for video card to handle one Asus Rog Swift 27" PG278Q monitor for gaming and one regular 1080p monitor for everything else

I was looking at getting 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487128

960 even in SLI won't cut it for 1440p - at least if you like to play in ultra/high presets. You have to pony up for something more powerful, like siingle 980 Ti. If you can take heat/noise/energy costs then get pair of used 290X..

If you are going to spend all of that money on the monitor, you best be prepared to spend as much on the gpu. Otherwise, a more reasonably priced monitor and gpu is advised. Balance.

What games are you going to play?

D3 / LoL / DoTA / WoW = GTX 970 or 980. GTX 960 is too gimped for 1440p.

Anything newer or more demanding and I'd lean towards a 980 Ti. When I had that monitor and a single 970 Titanfall was around 70-90 FPS. G-Sync helped a lot, but if you are going to have this for awhile 980 Ti would be a better bet.

$670 monitor and you want to use two 960s?

Buy a cheaper monitor and use the extra money on a better GPU. I don't know why you guys are so in love with these massively expensive G-sync monitors, one of my buddies has one and while its nice its not something i'd ever buy. 4k looks much nicer to me, maybe I'm just old and don't notice the g-sync.

The whole point of buying this monitor is so you can push 120hz+ at a constant rate dual 960s ain't gonna cut it. This is for those using dual 980s, 980tis and dual Titan Xs. At minimum you'd need 970s to justify buying the monitor imo.

I've been on 1080p and 60hz monitors forever. Now i have the budget to get some 144hz 1440p monitors...just want to upgrade and keep up with latest technology....so for 1440p monitors i should go at least a gtx 980? How about 2 970's in sli? Oh and by the way im heavy gamer...i play all the latest FPS games...i want all settings on high/ultra settings.

How about this one....will one be good....or should i get 2 for sli?http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NT...ds=gtx+980&dpPl=1&dpID=5107h2WUp+L&ref=plSrch

The whole point of this 144hz monitor is to play near/at 144fps with fps drops being covered by gsync so you don't have tearing/stutter.
If you are only expecting 40-100fps at most at 1440p, I would recommend getting a cheaper monitor/gsync monitor.

I personally (at this point) would wait for next gen cards to come out unless $1300+ for this setup is no big deal financially.

This is coming from someone with SLI 980ti's and that monitor.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The whole point of this 144hz monitor is to play near/at 144fps with fps drops being covered by gsync so you don't have tearing/stutter.
If you are only expecting 40-100fps at most at 1440p, I would recommend getting a cheaper monitor/gsync monitor.

I personally (at this point) would wait for next gen cards to come out unless $1300+ for this setup is no big deal financially.

This is coming from someone with SLI 980ti's and that monitor.

Personally I think shooting for 100-120FPS is fine too. G-sync helps quite a bit in this regard, unless you get a massive drop from 120FPS to 70 FPS for whatever reason while in-game; that is where I would notice a quick hiccup while playing.

Not that 100 or 120 FPS eases the GPU requirement that much :p. The GTX 980 was made for 1440p at 60 Hz, so you are stretching its legs unless you are playing less demanding games or turning quality settings down.

Back