Need help diagnosing a problem please

p0intblank

Limp Gawd
Ok I'll start off with my system specs:

P4 3.2 Northy stock
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe mobo
1 gig Corsair XMS RAM
200 gb partitioned hdd(10 gig for windows, the rest for bulk)
X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card
Windows XP pro w/SP2

Now on to the problem. About 2 weeks ago my pc started acting up. Sometimes at the desktop the whole screen will turn a bunch of different colors and I can't get out of it unless I flick the main power switch on my PSU. This happened about 10 times within 3 days. I thought it was my video card so I updated my drivers and reseated my card and made sure the monitor was securely connected to the card. That helped for about 3 days, but then today it happened twice while I was playing UT2004. So then I thought it was UT2004 acting up so I tried Half-Life 2, but that plays fine. Also, I just got the X-Fi sound card and installed it a day or so before all this started so I figured I would take it out and uninstall the drivers, but it still does it. I'm out of ideas so I'm turning to you guys. Another thing, I'm using StyleXP so I don't know if that would contribute. Any ideas would be appreciated. And if you need any more info just say so. Thanks in advance.

Really? What could I do to try to find out if it is? I've had this rig for more than a year and this just started happening a couple weeks ago.

The colors on your screen that your describing sounds like pixelization. You were right to update video drivers and re-seat the card and since you've already done that I would guess that your vid card is getting hot or dying.
I don't see your video card in your system specs... does it have a power connection and is it plugged in?
Since you just added that sound card it may be that your video card is no longer getting enough power, either because it was never plugged in or because your PSU is maxed out now.

Just a guess.

Excavator said:
The colors on your screen that your describing sounds like pixelization. You were right to update video drivers and re-seat the card and since you've already done that I would guess that your vid card is getting hot or dying.
I don't see your video card in your system specs... does it have a power connection and is it plugged in?
Since you just added that sound card it may be that your video card is no longer getting enough power, either because it was never plugged in or because your PSU is maxed out now.

Just a guess.
Wow I can't believe I forgot those things lol. I have a PNY 6800GT @ Ultra speeds and a Thermaltake PurePower 480 watt psu. My video card has an NVSilencer on it so thats fine, I never see the temp break 55C under load. And about not getting enough power, I even took out my sound card and uninstalled the drivers and the problem still ocurred.

Back