Need help configuring my X-Fi Fatal1ty + Headphones

chineseman

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought Crysis Warhead over the weekend, spent about an hour playing, and realized I couldn't localize sounds at all. I'm running Windows Vista, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty, and Audio Technica ATH-AD700s. I have the X-Fi on default settings which sets it to Gaming Mode, CMSS3D enabled, Headphones, and I have Crysis audio set at Enthusiast. Music and regular listening sound fantastic so I don't think my headphones are borked but I couldn't track anything in-game. I don't have any other FPS' installed at the moment so I don't know if it's a Crysis problem or my general audio configurations. Any ideas?

Possibly stupid question...but you have the OpenAL stuff that makes the creative cards work with vista installed right?

The ALchemy lab thingy creative released for their creative x-fi line of soundcards, designed to allow hardware acceleration in games under Vista. I'd find a link but I'm at work right now ;) You can find it though on creative's website.

Hrrrm could've sworn Alchemy came prepackaged with the X-Fi drivers. I will have to check it out when I get home. Thanks for the info.

Okay, so I installed Alchemy and added Team Fortress 2 to the list but the sounds were completely distorted. Alchemy didn't auto-detect TF2 either so I'm guessing it's not needed for TF2 anyways. I tried every combination of setting my Creative option to Headphones, 2 Speakers, 5 Speakers and also in-game to Headphones, 2 Speakers, and 5 Speakers and the sound localization was wildly inaccurate on all accounts. I'm really out of ideas at this point.

Since TF2 is a pretty popular game on these forums, can anyone who has accurate sounds, share their Creative and TF2 audio settings under Vista?

Back