Need help choosing an HTPC mobo

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to build an HTPC so I can "hide" my enormous (and growing DVD/BR collection).

I know I want a mATX and I'm going to use an Athlon X2 4850e as well.

I would prefer onboard video that will do 1080p flawlessly.

I have narrowed it down to these 3 boards but would like some [H] user input on them since this is my first HTPC and I don't want to blow money on something that'll turn out to be shit. I get married in October so I'm watching the funds closely. ;)

ASUS M3N78-VM

GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H

ASUS M3A78-EM

Many thanks for the input. :)

I went with the Intel based Asus, 9300 chipset and have been happy with it.
1080P HD-DVD and BD play perfect, as well as 1080p x264 rips.

The 780g chips are outdated. Stick with the nvidia 8200/8300/9300/9400. DXVA, CUDA, 24Hz, 7.1 LPCM, HDMI.. they're on top of the stack right now.

Thanks for the input.

I have another dilemma though.

I have a 36 inch SDTV and a 32 inch HDTV. The 32 inch will end up in the bedroom according to my future bride so the HTPC needs to output to the 36inch. The 36 inch is standard 480i component in and RCA or S-Video inputs. Eventually it will get replaced with a nice 120Hz LCD but for now this will have to do. So I would like the HTPC to remain future proofed with HDMI for video/audio in the future (like damn near immediately after the wedding).

What's the best way to output to a SDTV using the M3N78-VM motherboard? Or am I up the creek without a paddle?

I also looked into getting a board without onboard video and slapping a HD4350 in it with S-Video. I have DVI to HDMI adapters from my HD4870s in my desktop but does the HD4350 support going through HDMI if I were to do that instead?

We're in the same boat Vermillion... except I'm already married :p

I have that mobo and I went with the 5050e instead. You're pretty much hosed for connectivity to that SD tv so you (and I) need the discrete card.

Since you're only doing SD tv you could get away with an 8400gs card for ~$25 (AR, on the egg right now). It'll hold you over until you've paid off the wedding and got your new TV up.

yup.. just get a super cheap graphics card and throw it in there temporarily.

Back