Need help building a work computer

apim

Weaksauce
Hey guys,
I'm interested in building a work computer. See below for details of what I'm looking to put together.

1) I'll be using this computer for work. I primarily work out of Excel, Photoshop, InDesign, Outlook, Firefox, Acrobat Professional and Word. I leave every program listed in that last sentence open 24/7 while the computer is running. I plan to reboot every 2-4 weeks. The computer doesn't ever sleep/hibernate.
2) Budget is $1000 without shipping & taxes. Orders must be through newegg.com
3) Live in Florida, USA
4) Need CPU, RAM, Motherboard, HDD (120GB+), CPU heatsink/fan(if one isn't included with CPU).
5) I'll be reusing my Power Supply, Graphics card, DVD-RW. See below for specs.
  • PSU: ultra lsp650 - If PSU is an issue, I'll happily replace it. Not a deal breaker
  • Graphics card: XFX HD 6870 - Gotta keep this card.
  • DVD-RW: IDE something... if this isn't compatible with the new system, I'll just replace it. Not a deal breaker
5.5) Case isn't an issue. After I see what motherboard you guys pick out for me, I'll select a case myself.
6) I'm willing to OC if a noob can do it within 30 minutes and if it makes a large difference. I'm planning on replacing this system in 2 years.
7) I run 4x monitors. They are 30 inches and the max resolution is 2560x1600 on each of them.
8) I plan on buying the parts asap and building them whenever I have time after they arrive.
9) Motherboard requirements: I need 5x USB minimum, onboard 100mb NIC (I'm not opposed to running a different NIC if the mobo has slots available), onboard audio (nothing fancy needed here. This computer is for my office and I only play voice mail messages through my speakers. Also, just like the NIC, I'm willing to run a slotted audio card if the mobo has slots available). 2x SATA 1.5Gbps or better slots.
10) I'll be purchasing Windows 7 64-bit professional & Office 2010 64-bit (not sure what version, but it'll have Outlook, Word, Excel).

I'm currently running an HP 500B Microtower with an E7500 and 4GB of ram. If you could give me a guess as to what percentage of performance improvement I'd get out of the new system you're proposing, that'd go a long way in helping me decide whether I need to increase my budget or wait a bit longer for prices to lower on the newer technology. Also, my budget isn't firm. If I can gain a significant performance improvement by going up to $1250ish, then I'd be willing to do that.

Finally, I'm not opposed to purchasing a computer from Dell or some other merchant that pre-builds them. I know back in the day, you'd save a ton of money by building your own computer. If that's no longer the case, then I don't mind buying a pre-built system.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: One last thing I just thought of, if the price can go way down with little performance drop, I'd be happy to go that route as well :)

Well from what you want to use it for, I priced you out a machine, though it might be a bit overkill? Some others should weigh in on this. It is a little bit over 1k. Also I am a little unsure about your PSU. This is a path you could take, but wait until others weigh in before making a decision. I like lots of power so this is the build I would do for that situation if I had the money.

Intel Core i7 3930k six core - $569.99

ASrock x79 extreme7 lga2011 motherboard - $244.99

G.skill ripjaws 4 x 8GB (32GB total) DDR3 quad channel 1333mhz - $164.99

WD Caviar Blue 750GB 7200rpm 64mb cache SATA 6 Gbps - $89.99

TOTAL: $1079.16 shipped from egghead.

Thanks for the input AliceCooper. What would be the bottle neck in that setup? The only reason I ask is because I was under the assumption that SSD hdd's were the way to go these days.

You'll need a new Psu and odd. Do not go with asrcok motherboards. Shorter than industry standard 3 year warranty plus they are consistent with quality.

Do you plan to run all 4 monitors at once? Exactly what card do you have?

Yes, I run all four monitors at once. The Exact card is an XFX HD 6870 900M 16B DDR5 Dual DP HDMI Dual DYI PCI-E. There's another line that reads: HD-687A-ZN HD-687A-ZNFC V1.1.

Thanks for the input AliceCooper. What would be the bottle neck in that setup? The only reason I ask is because I was under the assumption that SSD hdd's were the way to go these days.

SSD's are super fast, but they are still on the expensive side. If you are not needing a big amount of space, a 256GB should do you well. I threw a 750GB regular HD in there because it is always nice to have a ton of space. The HD would be the bottleneck if you get a regular HD. But with the setup I linked you with, a 256GB SSD would add around $100-$120 to the total I gave you.

You'll need a new Psu and odd. Do not go with asrcok motherboards. Shorter than industry standard 3 year warranty plus they are consistent with quality.

Do you plan to run all 4 monitors at once? Exactly what card do you have?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131855

He could go with this, but might have to deal with shitty RMA service if there ever is an issue. I recommended that board because I have seen so many positive reviews on it.

5.5) Case isn't an issue. After I see what motherboard you guys pick out for me, I'll select a case myself.

Is the case part of that $1000 to $1250 budget?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131855

He could go with this, but might have to deal with shitty RMA service if there ever is an issue. I recommended that board because I have seen so many positive reviews on it.
You sure you're talking about the right mobo? The ASUS P9X79 LE appears to be a new mobo release and only has 3 Newegg reviews.

EDIT: Oh you meant the AsRock. Nvm then.

Also, I'd try to cram in a SSD if possible. It really does make a difference.

Last edited:
All right I recommend this setup:
$290 - Intel Core i7-2600K CPU
$120 - MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard
$180 - 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$200 - Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SSD
$18 - LG GH24NS90B DVD Burner
$64 - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W PSU
---
Total: $872 shipped.

For your use and the fact that you're planning on replacing the PC anyway in two years, the above setup should fit your needs just fine. Your usage scenario really doesn't require a six-core CPU or more than 32GB of RAM.

---

For your use and the fact that you're planning on replacing the PC anyway in two years, the above setup should fit your needs just fine. Your usage scenario really doesn't require a six-core CPU or more than 32GB of RAM.

I must have missed the fact he is going to upgrade in 2 years. Your solution sounds much better in that case, I was thinking he was going to keep it for a while :rolleyes:. Plus I use photochop on my 2500k setup, but the eraser is a laggy piece of crap, though I'm using CS3. But just thought that the six core would be a better option. Yours sounds great though and for cheaper :).

---

I second this build.

---

3 votes on this build. Sounds like a winner to me. Thank you all for the help. I'll get this ordered first thing in the morning. Thanks again!!!

Back