Need help building a NAS

general

[H]ard|Gawd
This post might crossover a bit, but I think it is applicable here as well. I want to build a data server that I can keep in my garage and connect wirelessly to my house. I have some concerns from hardware to security.

First the build. I can find plenty of basic old machines/servers around to run this. I was thinking either just getting an old server and putting drives into it or an old laptop and using external enclosures and USB. The problem is I'm worried about Linux support. I probably will put 4 - 5 300Gb sata drives into the machine. For an older system, I'll probably buy a sata adaptor. Does anyone have any advice on oen that is supported in Linux? Also, I need a wireless PCI adaptor. Does anyone know how I can check Linux compatibility for these?

Security. This will be wireless so how can I make sure that nobody can get to my data. I'm not the CIA or anything here, but I don't want people take movies, tax returns, etc, from the server. I'm aware of WIFI security, but what additional steps can I put in place in Linux to protect against this.

Distro. Will any linux distro do? I just want to get this working so if someone can suggest the easiest thing then that would be great. Thanks.

First, the build. I suggest the Sil3114 or Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8, with 4 ports for ~$50 or 8 ports (on pci-x) for ~$130. If you can find an old server board, that's the way to go - ~$100 on eBay for a dual p3 with pci-x is pretty cheap any way you look at it. (note: there's a difference between pci-x and pci express!). I don't know about Linux compatibility for wireless adapters, but I know the Supermicro and Silicon Image controllers are well-supported; drivers from the manufacturer or in the kernel, respectively, work fine.

Security. You could use MAC filtering with iptables, set up a shorewall firewall, that kind of thing... or run cable (or find a contractor to do it) and eliminate the wireless. Still use a firewall, though.

Distro. Debian stable (sarge) is wonderful. Use EVMS and put the disks in raid 5 (yes, you lose the capacity of one disk, but then you can afford to lose a disk physically and not lose any data). Shorewall for the firewall; if you want you can use this box as a gateway to your internet connection and do lots of nice things with filtering and firewalling.

Easy there, don't get it too complicated for my feeble mind. I'm not ready to be a mage just yet :D I saw your other post about EVMS and I should have mentioned I planned to use it. The MAC filtering would be running on my Linux box or on my router? Is there a way I could also password protect the shares? Running cables isn't a consideration until I get my own house. I do realize though that it is the only way to really be secure. I plan to do gigE when I can. How else will shorewall protect the data?

Right now it seems like I'm going to grab a Proliant 1850-R that someone has for sale on CL. I'll get a 4 port card like you mentioned and try to track down a PCI wireless card that works with it. I have two 300 Gb drives in my machine now in RAID-1 that I could put with another for 3x300Gb. Will EVMS let me dynamically add another disc when needed?

Heh. No problem, I just like to get an overview of what I'm suggesting in to see what needs more explanation and what you already know.

You could run MAC filtering on both the Linux box and the router; the router will only let the Linux box connect, and the Linux box will only allow certain MACs (or IP addresses) connect. Password protecting the shares is dead easy; see a tutorial on setting up samba (and the documentation!) and ask if you have questions. Shorewall will add a general firewall capability; it's fairly easy to configure, and it's plenty fast (I push 10 mbit through it all day every day :D)

As for the machine, the 1850R appears to be a rackmount machine. Had you realized that? Also, it only has normal PCI slots; this could severely limit your speeds when you get to gigE and have four disks hanging off the same bus. PCI-X would be a really nice thing to have when that day comes. This, for example: $145 for a dual p3, CPUs, and two pci-x slots shipped. If you buy fast enough, you can get this for around $30 (y'know, bid enough to be safe). Just a mobo, but the P3TDLE is a pretty nice board; I have a very similar one.

Last but not least, the 3114s are significantly cheaper than I thought, if you decide to go that route; here's one for $30 shipped.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Great advice. I'm pretty much just doing proof of concept right now. That is, I'm going to get cheap parts and make sure I can get it working. Once working, I will try to figure out any bottlenecks there are. I'll update the thread once I get going.

**UPDATE**

I think I found my server. It only has 128M of ram in it but I'm sure I can find more. It is as described here...

Compaq Proliant ml350 ml 350 dual processor p3 600MHz server Rack mount 128mb ram 40 gig IDE HD with Linux Fedora core 4 installed and has SCSI controller installed. Works great!

Back