Need for Speed: Rivals

How does Most Wanted (at it's currently patched version) compare to this?
I have an absolute blast with it. I even bought all the DLC. The game is just flat out fun and looks fantastic with everything maxed out. Driving is pure arcade so be mindful of that.

I have an absolute blast with it. I even bought all the DLC. The game is just flat out fun and looks fantastic with everything maxed out. Driving is pure arcade so be mindful of that.

Can't agree with you more! I *LOVED* NFS:MW... one of the only games I've ever purchased ANY DLC for... LOL

Rivals is good so far (even despite the 30 fps lock).

I agree.

Maybe it's just me but so far it seems like Burnout Paradise has been and will continue to remain the high point and peak for this particular genre and style of arcade racing.

It's not just you. I just reloaded it a week ago and installed the Vanity Pack to get to big surf island or whatever it was. The new ground to cover is amazing. Why can't they just remake Burnout Paradise with more stuff?

I just got mine for the PS4 yesterday. I got it with the BOGO at Amazon, but it turned out being backordered to December 27th. Thankfully that ended up not being true.

Anyways, it pretty sweet. Looks great, plays good. Being able to be both a cop and racer is pretty nifty. It is arcade-y especially with the special abilities your car gets now.

Fuck these arcadey racers. The Need For Speed series was one of my favorite when growing up. True the series was never close to a sim, but it was reasonable. Now every car has on-the-go-refillable nitro. Why can't they make another Porsche Unleashed type game? (But with all series of cars?)

The challenges were awesome, and I enjoyed the upgrade system.

Why can't they make another Porsche Unleashed type game?
They're shooting for much younger demographics these days. Either that or the demographic they've always been shooting for has gotten collectively dumber.

The 30fps thing is sad, because this is a pretty fun game. The open world with random races, encounters, events, etc. works really well. It's still very much an arcade racer, but it's a good one. I'm having the most fun I've had with a NFS game since the 2005 version of Most Wanted.

The 30fps thing is sad, because this is a pretty fun game. The open world with random races, encounters, events, etc. works really well. It's still very much an arcade racer, but it's a good one. I'm having the most fun I've had with a NFS game since the 2005 version of Most Wanted.

Even if that's true I can't support this game. Since Most Wanted the PC Ports of these games have been lazy and broken. This game in particular contains the longest list of offenses to date. Not just as a PC game, but as a game in general. The way the tutorials are done, idiotic cut scenes making no sense that your forced to watch, etc.

I think I will get this on PS4 since there are no other games to buy on PS4 lol. Also I heard PC is missing some effects and crap. I hope they patch those in like they did with Hot Pursuit. Fingers crossed. But whatever has to happen, has to happen before the 29th when this game will be down to 36 bucks on Amazon.

Bought it on Origin, finished the racer career and almost done with the cop career. Forums are filled with PC gamers doing more complaining then actually playing games. Only problems I have with the game is the host migration when the host leave and some players lag when you are near them. This is an excellent arcade racer.

I'll have to try that fix tonight. Per Afterburner I'm pulling literally thousands of FPS, so I should be able to hold steady at 60.

A potential work-around for the fps lock (that compensates for game speed-up):
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/need-for-speed-rivals-modders-find-temp-fix-for-60fps/
What we have here is an example of the worst possible time step implementation. You genuinely cannot have an implementation worse than this: tick rate is not only tied to the rendering rate, but the system is such that the time step changes if the renderer can't issue frames quickly enough. Setting the tick rate too high also increases the burden on the CPU by ticking too frequently (you don't need to tick the sim at 60 Hz, even in a racing game), so you might just end up becoming CPU bound trying to fix this.

Absolutely horrid.

Not even on PS4?

No. There is a multitude of things that are unforgivable about the game's design. The inability to skip cut scenes, cut scenes that make zero sense, mandatory tutorial stage which seems quite a bit intrusive. Oh and yeah that thing about embedded videos during the tutorials is just fucking lazy.

What we have here is an example of the worst possible time step implementation. You genuinely cannot have an implementation worse than this: tick rate is not only tied to the rendering rate, but the system is such that the time step changes if the renderer can't issue frames quickly enough. Setting the tick rate too high also increases the burden on the CPU by ticking too frequently (you don't need to tick the sim at 60 Hz, even in a racing game), so you might just end up becoming CPU bound trying to fix this.

Absolutely horrid.

Interesting insight. I was not aware of any of that, owing to my ignorance in this area.

Only cut scenes you can't skip are the tutorial ones, the chapter cut scenes can be skipped just fine. Tutorial gets skipped then the forum gets filled with complaints about things they go over in the tutorial.

Only cut scenes you can't skip are the tutorial ones, the chapter cut scenes can be skipped just fine. Tutorial gets skipped then the forum gets filled with complaints about things they go over in the tutorial.

I'm sorry but that tutorial is the most lazily put together piece of shit I've ever seen.

Just tried the 60FPS fix and it works fine. It essentially makes the game the way it should have been right out of the gate. No slowdowns or dropoffs. Per Afterburner the lowest my FPS ever dropped to was 58 and I have all of the settings maxed.

I played with the 60fps settings for about an hour last night and it works too well for this to have been some kind of accidental discovery. Makes me wonder why this wasn't an option to begin with.

lol yeah.

MS Joypad.
Although I havent seen this game yet, I will get it if they sort the main issues out.

I play with the 360 controller. I really only play casual/arcade style racing games, so it's ideal for me. A cockpit/wheel setup would be totally lost on me. I drive enough during the day - when I get home I want zany unrealistic racing action :p

Yup, that review is pretty close to my take. It's random fun and interacting with others is more for just random pick-up races and police chases than anything serious. There seem to be a fair number of people playing, so it's not like you have to drive very far to run into anyone.
The one caveat is that as a racer you'll run into people driving everything from the first car to the best car. No matter how good you are - if you don't have the turbo boost, you're going to lose to someone with a better car.

Do you get to upgrade your car in this?

Yeah, but it's minor stuff. There are 6-7 categories you can increase like top speed, durability, acceleration, etc. for each car. You spend your points on them and then your stats increase. It's definitely not like some of the more detailed versions where you buy different car parts.

Yeah, but it's minor stuff. There are 6-7 categories you can increase like top speed, durability, acceleration, etc. for each car. You spend your points on them and then your stats increase. It's definitely not like some of the more detailed versions where you buy different car parts.

Well that sucks

That would have required too much work on the developers part. Like I said, this is the laziest edition of the NFS to date. They've been getting steadily worse for some time. I don't expect good things from next year's release. Until there are significant quality changes I'm done with the series.

Has anyone found a way to remap the Xbox controls? I hate using the left button for the brake! :mad:

Back