Need For Speed: Most Wanted is hitching....help me!

Jewball

Limp Gawd
Hey, I have what could be considered a good gaming PC (see sig). I have been playing NFSMW, which I really like, but I have a problem. After I play for a about 15-30 minutes I get a 'hitching' or stuttering that makes it very difficult to play. I have the latest drivers installed blah blah.

A couple of confusing things are that when it starts hitching, it will do this even if I turn the resolution down to 800x600 with minimal details. So obviously it isn't a frame-rate problem. The other strange thing is that if I restart the computer, the hithing goes away until another 15-30 minutes pass....ARGH! This is very frustrating, is anyone else experiencing this??

its hard disk paging as it loads new areas, the maps are so huge that loading all the texture/map info for the entire world would be too much of a burden, thus when you drive around alot the hitching happens... i've disabled my page file and has since experienced little to no hitching...

Lsv said:
its hard disk paging as it loads new areas, the maps are so huge that loading all the texture/map info for the entire world would be too much of a burden, thus when you drive around alot the hitching happens... i've disabled my page file and has since experienced little to no hitching...

Just to be clear, after it starts to happen, it does so non-stop every few seconds during regular gameplay. Thanks for the reply, I will try that. The funny thing is, I thought it might be a page file issue - only I did the opposite and actually increased my page file!

well you have 2gigs ram so using a pagefile is almost pointless...

wierd issue though, i get them sometimes but it's only for a short period, maybe 15-20 seconds tops then goes away... also it only happens when driving into a new area:eek:

i have exactly the same problem, also when it start hitching it get worse every minute until it's completely unplayable

Lsv said:
well you have 2gigs ram so using a pagefile is almost pointless...

wierd issue though, i get them sometimes but it's only for a short period, maybe 15-20 seconds tops then goes away... also it only happens when driving into a new area:eek:

Yeah, I haven't researched the ups/downs of page filing enough to completely disable it. Even with 2GB RAM. Actually, I was thinking about picking up another 2GB and then turning off page filing.

bazylik said:
i have exactly the same problem, also when it start hitching it get worse every minute until it's completely unplayable

Yeah! WTF? At least it isn't just me, I was really hoping it wasn't a problem with my system.

Have you checked the temps on your pc? Perhaps thats the problem, gpu overheating or something.
I dont have that problem at all and ive played the day i got the game about 4 hours straight and no hitching.

let's keep this thread alive and see, maybe there are more out there. I have never had a problem like this before and have no clue what is going on, I've also noticed that my graphic card is warming up very very fast and again only with that game, next time you play check your temps right after your done playing.

I have this problem too, and it's not an overheating issue. It does ~seem~ a bit smoother if I disable AA within the game, and then use the vid card driver to turn AA back on.

bazylik said:
let's keep this thread alive and see, maybe there are more out there. I have never had a problem like this before and have no clue what is going on, I've also noticed that my graphic card is warming up very very fast and again only with that game, next time you play check your temps right after your done playing.

DrkSlash said:
Have you checked the temps on your pc? Perhaps thats the problem, gpu overheating or something.
I dont have that problem at all and ive played the day i got the game about 4 hours straight and no hitching.

Nope, definitely not a temp problem. As in my sig, I have both my GT's watercooled. Max load temps never exceed 38C!

EDIT: Sexy watercooled pics

I have the same problem but with me it gets so worse that the game actually freezes for a sec then plays again :(

xappie said:
I have this problem too, and it's not an overheating issue. It does ~seem~ a bit smoother if I disable AA within the game, and then use the vid card driver to turn AA back on.

That doesn't work for me, I have only enabled AA via the nvidia control panel.

BTW, I still haven't tried disabling page filing yet, I am upstairs watching my two young girls. So, I will try that very soon after the woman gets home. HOPEFULLY, that will solve the issue. LMK if it works for you guys.

Hurley_2002 said:
I have the same problem but with me it gets so worse that the game actually freezes for a sec then plays again :(

Hmmm...what kind of HD do you have? Maybe we have the exact same problem and it is a page file issue only I don't get a full freeze because I have two raptors in a RAID0...I don't know just a thought.

Hurley_2002 said:
how do you disable page filing?

Right-click on "My Compuer" and select "Properties", then click the "Advanced" tab, Under the "Performance" section, click "Settings", then click the next "Advanced" tab, at the bottom under the "Virtual Memory" section is the option to turn off page file.

EDIT: There may be an easier way, but that is how I get there. :D

I'm also experiencing some sort of hitching. Aside from the sporadic bouts of hard drive activity, I get random minute-long periods of 2-3fps.

Seems like an awfully buggy game to me, shadow rendering corruption aside. Patch it! (wishful thinking)

One of the first things I tried when I first installed the game and noticed the hitching was setting CPU Affinity - and it didn't seem to help, so I don't think that is the issue. I will give it another try tonight though.

Jewball said:
Nice, thanks man. Looks like that might be the answer I was looking for, will try it shortly.
ah sweet, i'll try these setting affinity to just one core when i get home from work :(. hope this will help

old school setting that might help ..worked for win98 and I have heard others say it helped them in xp but I dont know for myself and I have never seen the tweak listed as those for xp .. but its supposed to tell your OS to use all available ram before even thinking about dipping into the swap file

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

put that as a new entry under [386enh] under system.ini tab in msconfig

it wont hurt anything anyways and you can remove it if it doesnt work for you

[H]

ThreeDee said:
old school setting that might help ..worked for win98 and I have heard others say it helped them in xp but I dont know for myself and I have never seen the tweak listed as those for xp .. but its supposed to tell your OS to use all available ram before even thinking about dipping into the swap file

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

put that as a new entry under [386enh] under system.ini tab in msconfig

it wont hurt anything anyways and you can remove it if it doesnt work for you

[H]

Would this be better than just turning off the page file?

Jewball said:
Would this be better than just turning off the page file?
if it works for xp ..then yes as some programs want a pagefile no matter how much ram you have

..and I am assuming you have AMD's dual core driver installed as well as microsofts dual core fix/patch..?

[H]

ThreeDee said:
..and I am assuming you have AMD's dual core driver installed as well as microsofts dual core fix/patch..?

I have both installed and when I set CPU affinity it didn't seem to make a difference. But now tthat I think about it, I set it to use "cpu 1" not "cpu 0" - does that make a difference? Do you have to not only limit it to using one cpu, but also to using the FIRST cpu???

xappie said:
I have both installed and when I set CPU affinity it didn't seem to make a difference. But now tthat I think about it, I set it to use "cpu 1" not "cpu 0" - does that make a difference? Do you have to not only limit it to using one cpu, but also to using the FIRST cpu???
try it and see and let us know your results

[H]

Okay, I tried disabling the page file and that didn't help at all. Then I tried setting the affinity and so far, it seems to have helped quite a bit. We will see how it goes as I log a couple of hours in the game...

wierd, i've played and tested this game on 6 diff computers from a duron900 to a64 3200 and every machine had hitching issues (my guess from loading so much useless level shit) that they lock up... but on my 3200+ with 2gigs ram and page file turned off i have no issues... windows seems a tad faster too... too bad i cant leave it off when i do audio editing :/

I get this quite often. I simply hit up the video settings, change the res or something, hit enter, and go back to the game. Reinitializing the renderer seems to clear it up every time.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I found that what worked for me was setting the affinity so that the game is running only on CPU 0. After doing this, the stuttering/hitching was cut back greatly. Every so often I still get a stutter, but compared to what it was like before I barely even notice it.

A fresh windows install and the new 81.95 forceware drivers for nvidia and it seems to have solved all the problems with need for speed most wanted. Even FEAR is running much smoother.

For others around, I dont think a fresh windows xp install would be necassary as mine just got destroyed.

Well I spent much of the weekend trying to smooth things out and nothing has helped that much. CPU affinity seemed to do nothing, same with disbling the page file. I am just going to live with it for now, as I am almost done the game anyhow. I am sure they will release a patch or new video card drivers soon...

I have hicup to and its is really anoying with my MOMO racing wheel, I just updated my v/c drivers but I havnt test it yet got a will bad cold :( .

Back