Need dual hex core cpus

brutalizer

[H]ard|Gawd
Which mobo should I buy? I dont need Xeon as they are more expensive. But maybe I must go the Xeon route?

I need tips on a mobo and two hex core cpus, and some RAM. Cheaper alternative, not high end. Please, if anyone knows, please post suggestions.

Just to be clear: you need a dual CPU socket motherboard, correct?

Also, will the EEB form factor be fine or do you need ATX/e-ATX?

if you are talking about a dual socket mobo with 2x hex cores on one motherboard you have to use Xeons

What about the AMD Opterons hex/octa cores? Those are a bit cheaper than the Xeon hex-core CPUs.

Which mobo should I buy? I dont need Xeon as they are more expensive. But maybe I must go the Xeon route?

I need tips on a mobo and two hex core cpus, and some RAM. Cheaper alternative, not high end. Please, if anyone knows, please post suggestions.

For Intel, you have to go with Xeons, either the Westmere-EP X5600s or Sandy Bridge-E E5-2600s.

For AMD, you can go with two Lisbon 4180s (~$190 each).

I will go with dual Xeons I think. ATX. Full size chassis. 48GB RAM or so.

Can anyone list a proposition of dual cpus and a mobo?

And how much would the AMD option be?

I will go with dual Xeons I think. ATX. Full size chassis. 48GB RAM or so.

Can anyone list a proposition of dual cpus and a mobo?

And how much would the AMD option be?

Well, if you shop at Newegg, your choices are;
For Xeons, they have the LGA1366 Westmere-EP chips:
E5645 (2.4GHz, 80W) $559
W3670/3680 (3.2/3.33GHz, 130W) $599
E5649 (2.53GHz, 80W $779
L5640 (2.26GHz, 60W) $999
X5650 (2.66GHz, 95W) $1,003
And six more from $1,079 to $1,659
Here's a list of dual 1366 boards, starting @ $249

On the AMD side:
For Opterons, they have:
4238 (3.3GHz, 95W) for $269
4228HE (2.8GHz, 65W) is $289
4184 (2.8GHz, 115W) at $319
Here's a list of dual C32 boards, starting @ $209

Why not wait for EVGA to release their SR-X motherboard and go with two E3930/ks?

Judging by the OP i think that the cost might be a bit too much, even us folders are staying away so far, and we bought a load of SR-2's when they came out.

The W5xxx xeon's are single chip only and some of the cheaper boards - like the ones in my sig only have a few sata ports as opposed to the sata & sas ports that are on the more expensive ones. What do you plan on using the rig for.

The computer will be for graphics work. Media people. Storage is not important. But dual hex core cpus and 48GB RAM or so. And a high end graphics card, probably the new AMD 7970.

So all these cpus allow dual cpu configs, and they are all hex core?

"...Well, if you shop at Newegg, your choices are;
E5645 (2.4GHz, 80W) $559
E5649 (2.53GHz, 80W $779
And six more from $1,079 to $1,659..."

The computer will be for graphics work. Media people. Storage is not important. But dual hex core cpus and 48GB RAM or so. And a high end graphics card, probably the new AMD 7970.

So all these cpus allow dual cpu configs, and they are all hex core?

"...Well, if you shop at Newegg, your choices are;
E5645 (2.4GHz, 80W) $559
E5649 (2.53GHz, 80W $779
And six more from $1,079 to $1,659..."

No, Wxxxx chips are only single socket. The rest do allow dual socket and are all hex core.

Asus Z8 board will only take upto X5675 chips - the faster ones need more power than the Asus can provide. Supermicro are also excellent boards

No, Wxxxx chips are only single socket. The rest do allow dual socket and are all hex core.

Asus Z8 board will only take upto X5675 chips - the faster ones need more power than the Asus can provide. Supermicro are also excellent boards
Ok, there are different recommendations here.

Can you recommend a hex core cpu and a mobo that takes 2 cpus?

For dual socket with hex cores you need a pair of xeon 56xx CPUs. Be aware that the lower model 56xx series parts are only quad core. The lowest hex core is the E5645. Which one you go for really depends on how much you are willing to pay with steep increases in price accompanying each slight increase in clockspeed

As for mobo it depends if you want to overclock them or not. If you don't care about overclocking then just pick up a supermicro server board. If you do want to overclock then afaict your only option is the EVGA classified SR-2.

For dual socket with hex cores you need a pair of xeon 56xx CPUs. Be aware that the lower model 56xx series parts are only quad core. The lowest hex core is the E5645. Which one you go for really depends on how much you are willing to pay with steep increases in price accompanying each slight increase in clockspeed

As for mobo it depends if you want to overclock them or not. If you don't care about overclocking then just pick up a supermicro server board. If you do want to overclock then afaict your only option is the EVGA classified SR-2.
The Intel Xeon E5645 is really cheap. It would work in dual cpu config, right?

I am not interested in overclocking. So I could just pick any Supermicro mobo with dual cpus, right?

I will probably use Antec P280.

The Intel Xeon E5645 is really cheap. It would work in dual cpu config, right?

I am not interested in overclocking. So I could just pick any Supermicro mobo with dual cpus, right?

I will probably use Antec P280.

Sounds like a good starting point, and yes the E5645 will work in dual cpu config, and its hex core.

I'm not sure the P280 is suitable, it doesn't list extended ATX in the description and afaict XL-ATX is a different shape (large in some dimensions but smaller than others.

As for picking out the motherboard the best choice depends what you want in this machine, will it be a workstation or a server? if the latter do you want out of band management? what cards do you envisage needing?

Last edited:
Do you absolutely need dual hex cores, or can your workload take advantage of dual 8-cores, etc? If so, you might want to look at the AMD 12-core Opterons. If not, stick with the Xeons.

The P280 is not suitable? Can you recommend a tower chassis?

It will be used as a workstation for graphical use. It will use the latest Nvidia 7970(?).

Modest storage requirements: 1 SSD + 3TB disk.

I think Intel cpus are prefered.

You need QPI links to run SMP with intel chips and AMD already support SMP in their opereron line.

You will not get HT with AMD but HT is minimal on performance when dealing with true threads.

Here is a multithreaded beast .... get two to four of these chips on a dual or quad socket g34 motherboard and that is one hell of a lot of threads. SUre the clock speed is a little low but this is all about high throughput computing. Think about it... 64 threads of true cores doing work @ 1.6ghz is going to SMOKE 2 xeons at 12 threads or 24 if you think about HT for the same price.

$539 for Opteron 6272 16 core? Man I get serious wood thinking about two of those.... 32 cores, full speed ahead!

Totally wasted on my needs but still.

Some of the supermicro boards are ATX form factor, thus they would fit any normal case. 1 point on this, 2 cpu's are dumping twice the heat into the case, make sure you get something with good airflow.

Also be careful of heatsinks - xeons do not normally come with heatsinks, your M/B will tell you what you can use, usuually they are bolt thru. Oh and the stock intel HSF that you can buy are noisy, very noisy

Back