Need cheap hardware suggestions for server build

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
So I am getting back into the process of looking for parts to build a server for home use. I am still not sure what type of server software I will be using (linux based, windows home server, etc).

Right now I am searching for a decent motherboard with at least 4-6 SATA ports that will work with either something like mdadm or Windows Server...

I am hoping to keep the motherboard mini-itx or macro-atx and am ok with either Intel or AMD chipsets, but I would prefer to get one with onboard graphics to save one more part that generates heat. So Llano, Trinity, Sandy Bridge, etc are all fine.

The only thing I know is I plan on using the Western Digital Red 2TB Hdd's as they are what a friend of mine is using.

So any recommendations on parts for motherboard, cpu, memory would be appreciated. I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible within reason.

Really depends on what you intend to do with the server and your budget. Can you answer the sticky questions for us?

If it's a low budget, I would recommend going with an AMD APU2 setup, since you can get a motherboard with up to 8 SATA ports if you intend to use the server as a NAS/File Server like I'm doing. Having the ability to use 8 HDDs is very nice.

Really depends on what you intend to do with the server and your budget. Can you answer the sticky questions for us?

Can do. If it was a straight PC I would be golden lol, just build a HTPC using a FM1 AMD A6 and ASRock board I need to post some pics of....

Its server stuff that starts to throw me...

If it's a low budget, I would recommend going with an AMD APU2 setup, since you can get a motherboard with up to 8 SATA ports if you intend to use the server as a NAS/File Server like I'm doing. Having the ability to use 8 HDDs is very nice.

Yeah its going to be for basically blu-ray & dvd rips.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Storing blu-ray and dvd rips made using MakeMKV and streaming them to my HT setup, Bedroom and possibly office setup​

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

NOT including hard drives: 300 US

I will need a case, powersupply, motherboard, cpu & memory. I would prefer to use onboard graphics and have this as passively cooled as possible​

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

US, Indiana​
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, Mobo, PSU, Case, Memory​
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Re-using nothing​
6) Will you be overclocking?
No​
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Not really applicable, but I have a 23" HP that is a 1080p resolution​
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Slowly over the next 3-5 months​
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Its for a server so I would like 4 or more SATA ports SATA 3gb/s is more than fine, Onboard video ONLY​
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

You really should consider buying all the parts at once.

With the exception of hard drives, I can understand getting 1 - 2 for the initial build, then adding more as you need them especially if you intend to use a type of RAID setup where all drives don't have to be the same size. Mostly because it's guaranteed that harddrives 3 years from now will still work with your setup now since I do not foresee SATA changing and we all know that as time passes, capacity increases and price per GB decreases.

With that said, you'll most likely want an AMD A10-5800K CPU setup and I recommend getting the NZXT 210 Source case since it's ~$50 and has 8 hard drive bays. It also has adequate cooling for the system. You can read my thread here, not a whole lot has changed since then so that build should be relatively current. Just ensure you don't buy expensive RAM, it's a waste. Make sure you read the entire thread, the initial build in the OP is not the build I ended up with.

One thing I did notice with my build is the PSU only has room for 4 SATA devices, so I had to get two 1x4pin Molex to 2 SATA power connectors, which gives me room to use two molex connectors to power an additional 4 drives. I think I paid like $3 for them shipped from Amazon.

I am most likely going to a rack setup in the very near future, so I'll be selling my NZXT Source 210 Elite case since I'm going to end up with a 4u server chassis. However, I am only doing this because I had other equipment that will be in the rack so I'm gonna just go ahead and put the NAS in the rack as well, no need to leave it in my room anymore. Case still functions perfectly. (Granted I did end up buying two 120MM fans that I mounted on the top, then replaced the stock one and put it on the bottom. I only did this because the NAS is in my desk's cabinet and it gets extremely warm in there with the door closed, I even modded the desk with some 120mm fans on the back to help with circulation. As long as the case has good ventilation where ever you store it, it'll be fine.

Back