Need better cooling for my Lian Li V1000 Plus

OUCH

Gawd
Okay a warning to those planning on buying this. YES it looks great.. But if you have the following specs.... DFI NF4 Ultra-D, AMD Athlon x64, 1 gig of Performance RAM that runs hot, a Video card like a Geforce 6800 Ultra or something runs REAL hot.. Don't bother buying this case. Now that we have that out of the way...

I have the Lian Li V1000 Plus, it has a 120mm Intake Front Fan, another 120mm Intake back fan that has a shroud over the CPU and memory and a 120mm Blower fan over the PCI-E cards, which I thought was cool but the 6800 Ultra blows hot air away from this lower, it blows hot air towards the Optical Drives which makes the case heat up pretty good infront and on top unless you take the side case off...

Any of you guys have any idea how to cool this thing down?

and what makes this any different than a standard case? the 6800's still blow air towards the front, that's nothing new.

I bought an EX-34B from Lian Li to give me an extra 120mm intake fan to blow across my Opterons. If you have 3 5.25" bays it should help you out

i have the v2000b, and yes, its too hot for my sli set up. therefore, i added 3 120mm on top.

here's a pic without the fans yet...adding these also cooled my cpu temp by 5C. amazing.

sneakapeak7qs.jpg

Looks nice, that's exactly my plan... How did you cut it open and where do you get the grill? Also how do you have the fans setup?

Marduk said:
and what makes this any different than a standard case? the 6800's still blow air towards the front, that's nothing new.

I bought an EX-34B from Lian Li to give me an extra 120mm intake fan to blow across my Opterons. If you have 3 5.25" bays it should help you out

Difference is with my case the motherboard is upside down, meaning there's no cold air to blow in where the 6800 Ultra's exhaust is.

cut with dremel (sears rotary tool), got teh grill from sharkacorp.com, and i got 3 yate loons sucking air out.

i will have a project work log out soon,after i redo my cabling so you can see the cut process. pretty fun.

OUCH said:
Looks nice, that's exactly my plan... How did you cut it open and where do you get the grill? Also how do you have the fans setup?

That is a water cooling Rad gril from Aqua Computer.

OUCH said:
Difference is with my case the motherboard is upside down, meaning there's no cold air to blow in where the 6800 Ultra's exhaust is.

Check my sig. I have a V2000B Plus. I have the same orientation as you.

My point is, no matter what the orientation of your case, the videocard is still going to blow hot air towards the front. Only on the V series, it's towards optical drives, and on a standard case, it's towards hdds.

i have a v1200b which is the same just a bit deeper .. and cooling my sli setup is a definite problem .. im seriously thinking of ditching this case for something else non btx

I orginally had heat problems too, but it's easy enough to deal with. I have a window on mine so I just simply added a side 120mm fan to suck air off from my card and I cut the grill of the back of the case to increase airflow on the rear 120mm. Also chucked those stupid dust filters. I havn't had any problems since, granted I'm not running sli, but my temps are great.

my temps were fine as well .. then last night i added a 2nd 7800gtx and then my temps went crazy

Personally, I think the biggest problem with the V series chassis is that there's no intake fan for the motherboard area (by default). All you get is the exhaust, or in the plus series, and intake blowing over the CPU and an exhaust blower fan by the PCI slots.

I'm curious how much the EX34B I bought will improve my system temps vs. the standard 5.25" bay covers.

Maybe I shouldn't build that duct I had planned to, if you guys are having problems cooling the system, maybe I should just leave it as an open fan, and let it cool the entire mobo area?

adding say 2x120mm blowholes .. how much u think that would help in dropping the video card temps

Upgrading to some high output 120mm fans can make a world of difference.

My bad....

Welll there is always the Lian-li 5.25 HD bay expansions that can allow for another intake fan.

I mentioned that before...but that doesn't necessarily mean that he has the 3 5.25" bays free to allow for that.

LiFront.jpg

There's an 80mm/2x5.25" bay version...but...bah. an 80's not worth the effort.

Marduk said:
I mentioned that before...but that doesn't necessarily mean that he has the 3 5.25" bays free to allow for that.

Anything else that someone else has mentioned, but I haven't yet? :D

Marduk said:

LiFront.jpg

Woah that seems real cool but kinda ruins the "flow" of the case... But certainly worth a try... How does it work for you?

What do you mean "the flow"?

Airflow?

LiSide.jpg

the 120 will blow from front to back (I turned the 120 rear into an exhaust rather than intake)

or flow as in aesthetics? In which case, I guess that's a matter of personal preference. I've always been a function over form kind of guy...and with my system's power inside, any discrepencies outside can be forgiven ;)

I haven't turned it on for more than a few seconds yet, as I'm waiting on my new SATA cables. I won't have any real comparison info with it off, as I bougbht the case w/ the intention of also getting that fan/hdd bracket.

MP3 playback, file storage, gaming (well, if I actually had time to put that 7800GTX to use, I'd be gaming!), and running quite a few VM machines (hence the need for 4gb)

it seems like most of the v-series have a problem with the video card's heat circulation, I have the V1000BW and I have the same problem with the 6800ultra. The top half of the case has some SHIT air circulation. I threw a nv silencer on there so the hot air wont circulate at the top of my case. the exhaust is actually quite helpful, then i left the pci backplate empty and used tape (ghetto duct mod) to cover up any air gaps from the silencer exhaust to the outside of the case. I actually dropped 7 degrees in ambient case temps. I'd post some pics of it but I already sold that and got a 7800GT (cooling is MUCH better) the single slot of the 7800gt really helps temps. but im still 3 degrees shy ofwhat the silencer and my ghetto duct mod was doing.

if you have a 6800 ultra
1. buy an NV silencer
2.chuck the vented exhaust backplate, leave the bracket open
3.use tape to create a exhaust duct from the silencer to the back of your case, leave no gaps. You can also cut up some big heatshrink so its 1 flat layer and make a shroud with it then tape it so it stays. as long as you allow no gaps between the exhaust and the back of your case, your temps should drop a lot.

If I get one of those HD Fan thing, you think I'll still need a Blow Hole? And with a v1000 Plus I wonder if Im better having the HD Cage Fan blowing air OUT of the case instead of sucking in...

as small as the V1000 is, you might be better off doing the air the way I did...just front to back, and skip the fan duct.

After last night's hot run(closed all the doors in the window and just let it heat up), when I checked this morning, the system temps were only 3C higher, and CPU temps have never gone more than 3c above ambient, even under load. Since my hsfs are NOT set up for high performance cooling, but rather silent cooling, I'm very happy with the results of my V2000B's setup.

Ok, so I've recently put together a new system and I've been doing anything and everything I can to try and lower CPU/case temps, but nothing seems to work.

Current setup:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Clawhammer, .13nm)
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
2GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR400 RAM
2x eVGA Geforce 7800GTX 256MB in SLI
2x WD 74GB Raptors
1x Maxtor DiamondMax16 300GB
Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
PC P&C TurboCool 510 SLI PSU
Lian-Li V1000-Plus

I've been through about 3 different cases and about 4 CPU Coolers, and no matter what I do I get these temps, or very simialr ones:

CPU Idle: 45-47 C
CPU Load: 54-57 C
Case/MB: 40-45 C

The cases I've tried: Lian-Li PC-65B, Cooler Master Praetorian PAC-T01, Lian-Li V1000-Plus, and the Cpu Coolers: stock HSF, Thermaltake SilentBoost K8, Thermaltake Venus 12, Thermalright XP-90 with Sunon 92mm fan, 58CFM.

My current setup has everything in the Lian-Li V1000-Plus with the stock 120mm fans, the front one sucking air on over the hard drives, and the rear one blowing air out of the case. I'm not using the included CPU tunnel with the case as it seems to actually make temps warmer, but I am using the PCI card cooler included with the case. I'm using the Thermalright XP-90 with Sunon fan on the CPU currently, with Arctic Silver 5 (maybe I didn't use enough?).

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

Back