Need Advice...Thermaltake 700w Toughpower and 8800GTS

homerjr43

Gawd
I am building my dad a new machine for xmas. I purchased a PNY 8800 GTS from Circuit City for 365 after coupon and 5% cash back from discover. I have been searching for deals and i am piecing it together slowly. I plan to add a core 2 duo 6600 and 2 gigs of ram and either a gigabyte ds3 or a nvidia 680i mobo.

OK my real question is will a THERMALTAKE 700W TOUGHPOWER be a good power supply for this machine. It is currently on sale for 99 dollars at frys.com. So please give advice on something else or why this would be a good deal.

Thanks,
ERIK

P.S. Any other advice on components for this machine would be helpful...the plan is to not upgrade it again for 3 years.

Also does anyone know how long the cables are for this power supply? It will going into a Antec p180 and that case requires a long 24 pin connector...

Please help me out...

Thanks
ERIK

I and some others are having issues with our toughpower series. I'd feel much better telling you to get something such as a Corsair 520 for just a bit more.

Sphere

thanks...what problems have people been having with the tough powers? I read a couple review and the are on the suggested power supply thread...so i assumed that they were decent...does anyone know who make them..ie the manufacturer (oem supplier)??

Thanks again

The problem is *buzzing/chirping* from the psu, Thermaltake knows they have bad components in some of their supply, but at this point aren't doing a damn thing about it to those who have spent a substantial amount of $ on them.

If you don't mind it making sounds , then by all means grab one. They are made by CWT

Sphere

The thermaltake is fine. it's a CWT unit. Better build than the FSP Epsilon. Less ripple, more guts.

So johnny guru gave the OCZ a 8/10 but elsewhere is recieved 9 or above... and the toughpower received 8.5 or above in all the review i have read. the corsair is only aq 520 Watt psu which is a pretty big jump down considering the possibility of SLI in the future...so again I am stuck it seems that both the thermaltake and OCZ are generally good power supplies with minor known issues. I wish someone could provide me with an answer on which one is better and why...

ERIK

I'll give you a hint.....watts are only part of the equation....amps are much more important ;)

Back