Need advice on case fan placement

otimus

Weaksauce
This is the case I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068
I'm not going to be overclocking or anything of the sort. That's not why I'm asking. I'm asking because i live in the extremely host south, and my house has very crappy cooling. So... my room gets very hot. Very, very hot.

Will the case suffice as is?
Should I replace the fans?
My friend suggested I take the tunnel off the side of the case, and put a fan on it. Is that a good idea? All help is appreciated!

I had this case and had a 80mm tri-cool in the front a 120mm tri-cool in the rear and I modded the side panel by putting a 120mm in place of the side 80mm vent and it ran cool .

I never understood the point of these tiny fans in cases. Not only are they loud, they hardly move any air to make a noticeable difference.

I never understood the point of these tiny fans in cases. Not only are they loud, they hardly move any air to make a noticeable difference.

Those 80mm fans are a holdover from the old days of PC hardware (Before 2003 I think:)). Back then 80mm fans were the greatest! Way bigger than those 60mm fans and pushed more air than them. Now 2008 and any case with a 80mm fan is *old*

Anyway, OP, as P4rD0nM3 has said, what parts are you gonna put into that case? A better selection of parts might compensate for the heat in your room.

Oh if you don't have pets or kids or dumb people around, remove the rear fan grill. It may be thin but it does restrict airflow ever so slightly. Might as well get every once of cooling out of the case, right?

Fan ducts are great for better cooling, but I am not a big fan (no pun intended) of 80mm fans. I prefer to cut out holes and install 120mm fans instead.
120mm fans are quieter (lower tone, and quieter as in db), push more air, and look cooler (no pun intended) :cool:

Those 80mm fans are a holdover from the old days of PC hardware (Before 2003 I think:)). Back then 80mm fans were the greatest! Way bigger than those 60mm fans and pushed more air than them. Now 2008 and any case with a 80mm fan is *old*

I was using 120mm fans from a electronics store back before they were "mainstream" on my BP6 server back in '99 :D

are you kidding me? I'm sure that there is no noticable change... not even a dB

Actually, depending on the grill type, they do generate noise. Use to have an old X-Dreamer II case with these Alien head grills. Once I removed them, the noise level dropped a bit.

are you kidding me? I'm sure that there is no noticable change... not even a dB
Many default fan "grills" of cases are just way too restrictive and block lot of airflow (=less cooling) and cause noise by airflow turbulence.
Later problem just increases rapidly if fan is changed to one with higher RPM and pressure for increasing cooling to level at which it would be without high impedance grill.

Now stamped mesh of back exhaust fan in case of topic is much better than most but wire grill would be still better.

Use the two fans that are on it. Put an 80mm on the side panel where the duct is. It should fit in the stock holes, if not whip out the drill. Cut a 120mm blowhole in the top of the case and that should give you all the cooling you should ever need. If you dont want to cut a blow hole look at cutting out where the stock fans are and getting less restrictive fan grills.

Back