Need advice on a 24" VA-panel monitor for gaming (1080p)

Ericone

n00b
Hey guys!

I would need some advice on a new gaming monitor. I have had IPS displays in the past but I can't really get used to the low contrast/poor black levels compared to VA panels.

So I have been looking at the following monitors:

Samsung Odyssey G3 - Seems to have great contrast ratio, and it is flat which I really like, but many people (not just reviewers) complain about poor response time (ghosting, blurry motion, black smearing etc).

AOC C24G2U - Interested in this one, but two reviewers say the input lag is high on it, leading to problems in faster games. Apart from that it looks really good. Probably better response times than the Samsung, but if it has high input lag then that is a problem for me since I play shooters.

AOC C24G1 - I haven't found many reviews on this monitor. Seems to be an older brother of the monitor above (?). I haven't seen any complaints about input lag, but I haven't found many reviews on this one at all.

Anyone have any experience with the monitors above?
Are there any other VA-panel monitors I should check out? Ideally I want it to be 24" and 1080p, because I'm plugging it to my laptop which has GTX 1070 card (not really fit for higher resolutions in newer games).

Thanks guys!

You might have an easier time finding an Ultrawide VA's in the 21:9 2560x1080p, or super ultrawide 32:9 3840x1080p, range than regular 16:9 1920x1080p.

AOC 24G1 is a good one. There are reviews placing its contrast at over 3000:1. That’s the one you want to try.

Hey guys!

I would need some advice on a new gaming monitor. I have had IPS displays in the past but I can't really get used to the low contrast/poor black levels compared to VA panels.
Hopefully you know what you are getting in to:
- gamma shift
- poor pixel response times - at least in transitions from black to dark shades - which happens per sub-pixel so quite a lot of color transitions actually will be affected

If however you decide to make the switch I would really advice to pay attention to reviews and check for one specific feature: subpixel structure.
RTINGS does photos of subpixel strucure and lets look at Samsung G3
cleartype-on-large.jpg
See how in each sub-pixel is made from more than one segments? Here there are even 3.
This organization while in itself is not an advantage it is what you actually want when getting VA panel.
Avoid VA panels which have this flaw because they are completely terrible when it comes to gamma shift.
I mean there might be an issue but as long as you do not experience it with full force you might not even notice it that much. I had two VA monitors with terrible gamma shift and I am scarred for life. Dell 2407wfp I had with S-PVA panel with this funny pixel structure had surprisingly good viewing angles. Still gamma shift was irritating on it but at least not immediately obvious and I could get almost good image on it. It also didn't have slow black issues but that was due to technology long gone in VA monitors, black pixel pre-tilting. They should bring it back on higher end models if they even bother with VA panels at all.

Here is how motion looks on VA (Samsung Oddysey G3)
motion-blur-max-large.jpg

Here is one of the best in this regards IPS (LG 27GN950) in comparison =P
motion-blur-max-large.jpg

Samsung made a CFG-73 monitor that came in 24 inches. I have one and honestly I think it’s a good monitor:

- Decent contrast (2000:1 and nowhere near its 3000:1 advertised contrast
- Good sRGB emulation
- Ability to adjust white balance in sRGB mode!!! (Lots of other monitors lock these controls in sRGB mode, including other Samsung’s, so this is more valuable than you may think)
- Good pixel transition speed
- Motion reduction strobing

The bad:
- minimum refresh of 100hz for motion reduction mode
- can’t adjust backlight in strobing mode

For a VA panel it’s pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: XoR_
like this
Back