Need advice for shipping internationally, new buyer

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
So, I find myself in a situation I've never found myself in before, and would appreciate some feedback.

Someone wants to buy some of the games in my FS thread, and wants them to be shipped to New Zealand. The buyer's [H] account is only 1 day old, and he has no heatware or references.

So, my main question is, what are the proper steps I should take to protect myself as a seller?

I see, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll leave it open in case anyone else wants to chime in.

International is a gamble even with high reference buyers/sellers. No chance in hell would I ship to a noobie like that.

New Zealand is hardly the middle of nowhere either. I'm sure whatever game you are selling could be had locally for less without the shipping.

Walk away.

Well if they pay you up front I don't see what the problem is.

You could run into a few problems:

1. Depending how you ship, you might not have any visibility to tracking within their country. They can file a dispute with PayPal and claim they never received it.

2. They may have to pay custom fees pending how you declare the value. This is sometimes a hefty charge. This could cause issues with them wanting to accept the package.

3. It could sit in customs for weeks or longer. This could be due to processing or if the value/contents are not valued properly.

If the buyer uses Paypal, they are usually the ones Paypal will side with. I lost a dispute when I shipped something and the buyer said it was sitting in customs. A few weeks later I get a dispute via Paypal and they sided with the buyer.

I sold some stuff to international buyers in the past and I had them send me cash at their own risk.

I've bought a few things on ebay from the US and if the seller has a good reputation I'll offer to do a bank transfer before shipping.

So far I had zero problems.

What can a buyer do if you want something from abroad?

I suspect that if a buyer from abroad would do a paypal gift (don't know much about pp) to a highly reputable seller then it should be safe from the sellers perspective?

If the seller is reputable enough that can be taken as a sign of trust? Can heatware be forged/hacked/incorrect?

Back