Need a smaller gaming mouse with manually adjustable DPI (I need 1400)

Nazo

2[H]4U
So I've been having troubles with my right hand in recent times. I tried changing mice and at first it almost seemed to help (it is a bit better with the new one I guess) but the problem still remains. I did once use a smaller mouse for just a little while (the Logitech V450) but it was wireless and not a gaming mouse either. However, what little I used of it, it actually did seem more comfortable to me oddly enough. Possibly just about perfect. (Note that the V450 is larger than most of those little portable mice, but smaller than a normal mouse.) In fact, just to be annoying, in its battery saving efforts it would cut off momentarily when I wasn't moving it for mere moments, which in a game was basically fatal on numerous occasions.

What I really need is a mouse that is smaller, preferably is wired (I really hate wireless with the extra weight and hassle of batteries -- and with gaming obviously the battery life is going to be worse since it can't cut off so much,) and with an adjustable DPI that lets me set it manually to 1400 (most mice just do fixed values like 1000, 1200, 1600, and so on, skipping over 1400. I tried the much more commonly supported 1600 with sensitivity settings and it just doesn't work with that pinpoint accuracy that 1400 does for me.) I've played around a lot and I've found that 1400 is exactly perfect for me. (Note that I don't use the normal setup most people use though. I have my system setup to basically do a ~1:1 mouse movement with no acceleration or smoothing and disable that in games always, so at 1400 DPI I get both absolute precision AND quick movements even in the GUI to the extent that, at my best, I can snipe someone behind me with a headshot with just a flick of the wrist in twitchy games like UT2004.) Even in image editors I'm able to do some fairly precise operations without having to zoom to a 1000:1 level, so this setup is very nice for me. I know this much is unusual, but it works beautifully for me at least and I consider it a necessity.

Is anyone aware of any mice that are at least suitable for gaming that can do a manual DPI like this? (Oh, and preferably something without anything like the Logitech Whine as I'm fairly sensitive to that range and it drove me crazy with my old MX518.) As you can guess, the 1400 DPI requirement does mean it doesn't have to be super-high end stuff -- I don't need 10,000 DPI lasers or whatever (in fact, I generally get the best results from optical as lasers tend to have more troubles with many surfaces I've tried whereas optical has tracked beautifully on every surface I've ever used, which makes me a bit sad that optical is going the way of the dinosaur just because people want super-high DPIs that they can then effectively wipe out between sensitivity settings and smoothing) -- so other than the DPI being manually configurable the only thing "gaming" about it would have to be that it doesn't have a ridiculously super-high latency or something (but these days most wired mice at least don't.) I really really don't want to deal with batteries if I don't have to though! I hate the weight and keeping them charged/replaced.

EDIT: Trying the Razer Orochi.

Last edited:
Ok, I've found the Razer Orochi and decided to try it. I think I'm going to need a while to get used to it (and if I EVER use the Bluetooth 3.0 I'll have to put in super-light batteries I guess -- some cheapo made in China ones or something -- because the Energizers it came with make it too heavy for my tastes) but I do think maybe it will work out. It's definitely going to take some getting used to though...

I do have one question if anyone who bothers to actually read this might perhaps know. According to various reviews and etc the Orochi is supposed to have internal memory and save sensitivity and button configurations. I was hoping this might mean I could finally stop using that horrible Synapse 2.0 software (plus it would be really nice if it would use my custom DPI settings even in other OSes such as Linux.) However, it's clearly not saving... I can close Synapse 2.0, unplug the mouse, then plug it back in and it's running on the defaults every time. (Not just the sensitivity, but even the button configuration -- since I have one setting that works perfectly for me in all circumstances I don't need to adjust it on the fly and just made the right side buttons be a back and forward as well, so it was blatantly obvious that they weren't doing that but were instead adjusting sensitivity between the default values when I pressed them.) I even tried putting in batteries and switching it on just to be sure and I tried closing Synapse after I disconnected the mouse (which required hooking up another mouse in between, lol) but no good. From what people are saying it really sounds like it is supposed to be able to remember its settings, so I wonder am I missing something, is it Bluetooth ONLY for some reason, or what? Could it be that they actually removed that from the newer "2013" model?

check the Corsair m60 or the m65. both are smaller and I set my m65 at 1000 dpi for it's "low" setting down from a max 8200 dpi.

the m60 is only up to 5200 dpi and the switches are better on the m65, but it should be cheaper.

Uhm, I'm going to stick with this for now. I only just got it after all.

Back