Need a LOT of advice for a new build (gaming rig).

I'm due for a whole new gaming rig. I've been out of the game for 5 years so a few things have changed.

So now I would like some advice.

Budget: $1500. (this might increase or decrease by $200)
I already have a Nvidia 680 vid card and a nice monitor (gifts) and nothing else.

General wants:
16GB ram (upgrade to 32GB)
256GB SSD HD
quad core.
At lease some overclocking ability.
Would like to stay air cooled for simplicity, but I've custom build water cooling rigs in the past.
I don't need lights, or fancy anything. Any case size that will accommodate a large vid card. I really don't care about RAID and don't plan to use it.

Not sure if I should go barebones or buy outright from a manufacturer or a complete custom build.

Not sure if I should go AMD or Intel.

I'm even up for an "open air" solution for a case (I don't know if that's still acceptable)

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Please answer the stickied "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!" so that we can help you better. Also, please solidify your budget. $200 can make a pretty big difference in a gaming PC. Also to be clear: You have a GTX 680 3GB card, correct?

I'll be nice and give you something to consider:

$360 - Intel Core i4-4670K, Asus Z87-A, and Final Fantasy XIV combo deal
$50 - Phanteks PH-TC12DX
$135 - Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3 1600 kit
$170 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
$60 - Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD
$20 - Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE SATA DVD burner
$86 - Seasonic SSR-550RM 550W modular PSU
$60 - Corsair 200R
$97 - Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM DVD
=====
$1038 - Total before taxes (including free ground shipping)

I simply put together a "greatest hits" of parts that we normally recommend for gaming PCs. Intel CPUs generally outperform AMD CPUs when it comes to gaming, but AMD still has the better integrated graphics.

Our "favorite" CPU cooler, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, is (IMO) overpriced at the moment, so I went with a good alternative in the Phanteks PH-TC12DX. If you're serious about overclocking the processor, I recommend replacing the Phanteks with the Corsair H80i.

Windows 8/8.1 is really hit-or-miss. It all comes down to whether or not you can tolerate the Start Screen, which replaces the Start Menu. However, I chose Windows 8.1 based on cost; to get around Microsoft's self-imposed 16GB memory limitation in Windows 7, I would have to choose Windows 7 Professional instead. If you don't like the Start Screen, you can bring back the Start Menu using a third-party program (like Start8 or Classic Shell).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
tiraides has given you a good build list with suggestions.

The Corsair 200R is small, nice, and cheap, but if you're wanting to sacrifice size and cost for cooling power, consider something like a Fractal Design R4.

The Corsair 200R is small, nice, and cheap, but if you're wanting to sacrifice size and cost for cooling power, consider something like a Fractal Design R4.

The Define R4 is recommended if you want to reduce noise as it includes sound dampening material and uses "silent" fans for cooling. However, depending on what you use, that same sound dampening material may cause the internal temperatures to be higher in comparison to a more "open" case like the 200R.

The 200R can hold about the same number of fans as the Define R4, though the Define R4 comes with three fans versus the 200R's two. But with a good CPU cooler and an efficient PSU fan, you don't really need a lot of case fans for cooling.

To clarify:
I have a 680 GTX video card, it should do for now.

Tiraides, I appreciate the list, but I am trying to avoid Asus fro the time being.

My last two purchases of of their products have been disappointing and their RMA gave me no end of trouble. I have to change manufacturers after 10 years.

Is the Crucial ram that good?

1) Computer for gaming
2) Budget is $1500
3) USA
4) Need: Case, MoBo, RAM (16GB), SSD 256GB or greater, PSU
5) Reusing GTX680
6) Possible Overlocking in the future
7) 23" monitor 1080
8) Build within 1-2 months
9) No need for RAID or anything fancy.
10) Have LEGIT WIN7 64 Pro

The Define R4 is recommended if you want to reduce noise as it includes sound dampening material and uses "silent" fans for cooling. However, depending on what you use, that same sound dampening material may cause the internal temperatures to be higher in comparison to a more "open" case like the 200R.

The 200R can hold about the same number of fans as the Define R4, though the Define R4 comes with three fans versus the 200R's two. But with a good CPU cooler and an efficient PSU fan, you don't really need a lot of case fans for cooling.

Where to start....

you absolutely need good case air flow. Having less options and air flow is great for your system said no one ever...

The R4 is every bit as cool as the 200d. It's a MUCH higher quality case also... I have owned both. And I currently own 3 R4's right now.

R4 comes with (2) 140mm case fans. It also comes with a fan controller. It's really no comparison to the cheaper 200d. It also has a easier to access rear motherboard area, and has more options for wire management.

Again this is from experience, not just repeating what I have read on forums or new eggs reviews.

Tiraides, I appreciate the list, but I am trying to avoid Asus fro the time being.

My last two purchases of of their products have been disappointing and their RMA gave me no end of trouble. I have to change manufacturers after 10 years.

Go with the MSI Z87-GD65 instead. Keep in mind that you lose the discount from the combo deal I mentioned earlier, but you have plenty of funds to buy the motherboard and the processor separately.

Is the Crucial ram that good?

Yes, it's good. It's also on sale more often than other manufacturers.

Where to start....

you absolutely need good case air flow. Having less options and air flow is great for your system said no one ever...

The R4 is every bit as cool as the 200d. It's a MUCH higher quality case also... I have owned both. And I currently own 3 R4's right now.

R4 comes with (2) 140mm case fans. It also comes with a fan controller. It's really no comparison to the cheaper 200d. It also has a easier to access rear motherboard area, and has more options for wire management.

Again this is from experience, not just repeating what I have read on forums or new eggs reviews.

While the Fractal Design Define R4 is a better case than the Corsair 200R, the 200R is still a good case -- especially when you compare the 200R to other cases that normally cost $60 or less.

ZMX implied in his post that the 200R sucks when it comes to cooling. The 200R can support up to seven fans and comes with a 120mm rear fan and a 140mm top fan. That's actually a lot better compared to other cases in the same price range as the 200R.

The OP can determine whether he wants the Define R4 or the 200R. I still stand by my claim that the 200R is a good case.

Last edited:
1) Computer for gaming
2) Budget is $1500
3) USA
4) Need: Case, MoBo, RAM (16GB), SSD 256GB or greater, PSU
5) Reusing GTX680
6) Possible Overlocking in the future
7) 23" monitor 1080
8) Build within 1-2 months
9) No need for RAID or anything fancy.
10) Have LEGIT WIN7 64 Pro

Do you have the funds to buy everything this week?

Would you prefer a 500GB SSD like the Samsung 840 EVO?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Will both of those cases support really tall heatsinks?

I forgot that I had a really tall 120mm heatsink with 3 heat pipes.

The last case was a 4U rackmount and it had to be modified (hole cut)

tiraides, I purchased the EVO. I just couldn't help myself. :D

Other purchases will follow time and money allow.

Also, the MSI MoBo looks like it's designed to have a heatsink parallel with the motherboard with the fan blowing toward the MoBo.

It would mean a heatsink purchase for me.

Last edited:
Will both of those cases support really tall heatsinks?

I forgot that I had a really tall 120mm heatsink with 3 heat pipes.

The last case was a 4U rackmount and it had to be modified (hole cut)

Please tell us what heatsink you have. Those cases are designed to handle most tower-style CPU coolers using 120mm or 140mm fans.

tiraides, I purchased the EVO. I just couldn't help myself. :D

Other purchases will follow time and money allow.

Save up all of your money and buy everything (else) in one go. If anything arrives DOA or goes bad within the 30-day return period, you need a full working computer to test things out. Do you have one you could use now?

Also, the MSI MoBo looks like it's designed to have a heatsink parallel with the motherboard with the fan blowing toward the MoBo.

It would mean a heatsink purchase for me.

Does this picture convince you otherwise?

IT LIVES!!!

I would like to thank you for the input.

The following equipment:
Purchased:
MSI Z87-GD65 and it freaking ROCKS!
Define R4 case, The sound proofing made the difference and the case is SILENT
Seasonic SSR-550RM 550W modular PSU
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (saw a sale on the 750gb but too late :mad:)
Intel 4770K

Already had:
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3 1866 kit
Big assed heatsink (forgot the brand)
GTX680
Some random DVD player lying around.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64

It absolutely screams and I haven't even bothered to overclock it yet.

The R4 is a really neat case. One of the best I've ever used.
There should be a SSD version. You see, it has 8 3.5" bays that ware absolutely wonderful with server like quick trays located near the intake fan. But all I have is this teeny tiny SSD. On the bright side, there are holes drilled for 2.5" mounting.

There are also mounts on the back of the motherboard plate.
DO NOT USE THESE! You will have to remove the motherboard to remove the SSD AND the supplied SATA cables will not properly attach to the SSD when mounted there.

Using cheap adapters, I could easily add 16 SSD's to this case (two in each 3.5" bay)

Thank you tiraides and jmilcher!

(pic shortly)

Back