Need a little networking help

watertown28

2[H]4U
Heres the scoop

I went out and bought a linksys wireless router

This is the one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8741365&type=product&id=1202648529130

Well this is what I wanted to do

I conteced both my desktops that are by it via hardwire. I then went and got the laptop going wireless... all went great.

NOW... heres the problem
I have this switch ( an old linksys ) that I ran a wire from the new wireless rounter to the other room to the switch to hook up the other folding machines. All was going well until the laptop went to sleep and every time it turns off and whatnot it can not conect via the wireless.

Thinking quickly I unhooked the wire that goes to the switch in the other room and BAM... now have an active wireless connection without problems... so my thinking is that the switch is the problem

So here is the question... why is there a conflict? what is the workaround for this? Ive tried all the slots for the wire from the wireless router to the switch... the WAN, uplink and even plugging it into one of the normal slots... it does work, but then the laptop loses the wireless ....

Do I need to go to each comp and set all the IP's manually?

I dont know... I hate to waste all the work of running a 100 ft cord to that room ( via the celing... taking out the tiles to run the cable above it )

On the other note... how does wireless work? can I have multiple comps going on it as wireless? if I would have say 2 comps wired into it, and then chose to have 3 wireless conections to it... could I?I dont know much about wireless myself so.. this is new to me and I dont have a clue how many connections a router can have..... at least wireless

You are only limited by the number of IP addresses the router gives out. It probably setup by default to give out 100 IP addresses by DHCP. You can change that in the setup up to a max of I think 253 IP addresses. It will be something like 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254. 192.168.0.1 will be the routers IP so you can't use that. Any way you have more than you will likely need, On the wired side you are only limited by the number of ports you have. Add a switch like you did and you can increase the number of wired PC connected. On the wireless side you just keep adding PC's until the router runs out of IP addresses. The router will probably run out of bandwidth before it runs out of IP addresses. I have two PCs on wireless and I am about to add a third. Then I can start to pull some cables out. You don't have to use static IPs if you don't want to. I do by personal choice. If the DHCP is enabled in the router it will hand out the IPs and make sure no two PCs have the same IP address. If one or more of your PCs is using a static IP make sure it is outside of the range you Router hands out. If two PC's end up with the same IP they will crash your network. They will knock each other off the network in any case. I have no idea why adding in the switch causes your laptop problem. It doesn't make any sense to me unless one of those PCs on the switch has the same IP address as the laptop.

You are only limited by the number of IP addresses the router gives out. It probably setup by default to give out 100 IP addresses by DHCP. You can change that in the setup up to a max of I think 253 IP addresses. It will be something like 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254. 192.168.0.1 will be the routers IP so you can't use that. Any way you have more than you will likely need, On the wired side you are only limited by the number of ports you have. Add a switch like you did and you can increase the number of wired PC connected. On the wireless side you just keep adding PC's until the router runs out of IP addresses. The router will probably run out of bandwidth before it runs out of IP addresses. I have two PCs on wireless and I am about to add a third. Then I can start to pull some cables out. You don't have to use static IPs if you don't want to. I do by personal choice. If the DHCP is enabled in the router it will hand out the IPs and make sure no two PCs have the same IP address. If one or more of your PCs is using a static IP make sure it is outside of the range you Router hands out. If two PC's end up with the same IP they will crash your network. They will knock each other off the network in any case. I have no idea why adding in the switch causes your laptop problem. It doesn't make any sense to me unless one of those PCs on the switch has the same IP address as the laptop.

Well after i typed this... I did a little more playing and hooked up the switch, but unplugged the comp on that switch, and still have no problems with the wireless so i am thinking that is was an ip addy conflict... could I be correct on this? If so its looking like I will need to set the IP manually... o those were the days and its been a long long time....

If DHCP is enabled on all machines, there shouldn't be any conflicts. Are you sure the machine on the switch doesn't already have a static IP?

Check all your PCs and make sure they are all set to obtain an IP address automatically. If you find one that was setup with a static IP that is your problem. Once you switch it to automatic/dynamic that should fix things.

Back