Need a laptop for college

Hey guys, I bet you see a ton of threads like this, but I would really appreciate it if somebody could point me in the direction of good laptop for school. I have about 2750 to spend (I can adjust that if necessary). Basically, I want something I can bring to lans so the Radeon 9700 mobility would be a must. I priced some stuff from Dell and Sager, but I'm new to the laptop market and I dunno where I'll find the best quality stuff. Thanks in advance!

(size and weight don't matter to me, just good construction)

Thanks dude, that looks like some good stuff. I'll do some reviewing, and if those turn out good I think I've found my laptop.

Well, if i can get away with spending less, I will. 2750 would be stretching it quite a bit, but I do want a fairly high end system.

You can get the lowest Dell XPS laptop for around $2100 to 2200 if you watch the deals on www.bensbargains.net

Of course Hardocp just reviewed the XPS, so you can see how well it performed.

I believe the base XPS comes with the 128MB Radeon 9700 Mobility as a standard option. Just put a "few" extra bucks into a 7200 rpm hard drive and possibly more ram and you should have a good gaming laptop for under $2700

At the hypersonic site I was able to configure a system with no ram and no OS for about 2300 including shipping, it has everything else I want, and a gig of pc3200 from newegg is cheaper than using their memory (albeit I still have not decided on the ram, heh).

SupaMan said:
with that kind of money i'd probably go for a voodoo
Hypersonic's are basically voodoo's for ~$500 cheaper (same exact cases).

j3ff86 said:
Hypersonic's are basically voodoo's for ~$500 cheaper (same exact cases).

good to know, who is the actual manufacturer for those anyway?

If you don't want to shell out the cash for a XPS, you could get a 9100 and get a better bargain dollar wise. If you're really lookin for a kickass laptop though, VoodooPC is where it's at. Unless Falcon-NW has started making them.... And they have started making them. Wow. Until I can build my own from the ground up (no barebones...) I'll say VoodooPC or Falcon-NW for the ub3r high end, and Dell is awesome for the rest. If you're looking for a retail store type, Toshiba and (oddly enough) eMachines are great. eMachines has come a LONG LONG LONG LONG way and (coming from an employee at Best Buy) I would say they're actually about the best laptops we currently sell. Don't kill your wallet either.

I'd say the Dell 9100/XPS, Sager 8790 or Alienware Area 51m .. Dell has already stated there will be at a minimum of one more grahics card for the XPS(which the 9100 can also accomodate) .. Alienware has upgraded graphics but they haven't made any claims there will be any after the 9700 but I'm sure there will be esp if Dell does it. The Sager is a great performer and has a really good customer base and support and I've heard they've done graphics upgrades in the past even when it meant replacing the entire motherboard.

Back