Need a Drobo -- Minus the Drobo

Looking for a brain dead simple storage device that rebuilds on the fly from the drive pool. Does this exist (That is not a drobo)?

Thanks guys!

Take a look at Synology.
BYO with freeNAS is dead simple.
Otherwise There are lots of other NAS products to choose from.

I've looked at a few synology products before -- they never really highlight the restore process in the event of a drive failure. Any thoughts? My fear with some of the other NAS devices on the market is not of when its working-- but when one of the drives fail. (How easy is it to get back up and running smoothly)

You remove the failed drive, pop in the replacement, login to the management software and add the drive to the volume. My only slight annoyance I have with the process is that there is no option to have it automatically start the rebuild process, you have to login to initiate it. Sure, there are reasons not to automatically do it, but they should have that option, imo.

Are you sure they don't Neb, I'm fairly sure when this happened to my 1512 all I had to do was stick in the new drive in the old slot and it auto-rebuilt

You remove the failed drive, pop in the replacement, login to the management software and add the drive to the volume. My only slight annoyance I have with the process is that there is no option to have it automatically start the rebuild process, you have to login to initiate it. Sure, there are reasons not to automatically do it, but they should have that option, imo.

Is this true with all synology products? Maybe the 713+ or 213?

Are you sure they don't Neb, I'm fairly sure when this happened to my 1512 all I had to do was stick in the new drive in the old slot and it auto-rebuilt

It didn't when I tested it with my 1812+, and their documentation also shows the same.

Fucking Drobo... fuck Drobo.

Can you believe that some moron used a bunch of B800i for enterprise level storage before I showed up to my current job? The things were so slow you couldn't perform a nightly incremental.

/thread jack

Fucking Drobo... fuck Drobo.

Can you believe that some moron used a bunch of B800i for enterprise level storage before I showed up to my current job? The things were so slow you couldn't perform a nightly incremental.

/thread jack

Hence my thread...minus the drobo ;)

+1

I know there's a rebuild button in the storage manager but I don't recall having to actually go in and click it... this was on 4.2 (happened less than a month ago).

I'll go ahead and retest it when I get home tonight, will report back. Maybe they changed it in 4.2? When I tested I was on 4.1 I believe.

I'll go ahead and retest it when I get home tonight, will report back. Maybe they changed it in 4.2? When I tested I was on 4.1 I believe.

I know there's a rebuild button in the storage manager but I don't recall having to actually go in and click it... this was on 4.2 (happened less than a month ago).

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I really find it hard to believe in all of the reviews I've seen NO ONE highlights the restore feature -- or simulates a drive failure etc to see how well a device will restore the data.

It's entirely possible I did the rebuild button and just forgot about it, could have sworn after I got the new drive I stuck it in and sat at the box until the lights came on and started flickering indicating the rebuild, either way getting the rebuild going was a complete non-issue, it was either just insert new disk, or insert new disk and 3 mouse clicks.

I'd say the reason nobody really talks about it is because it's such a non-issue. Like I said I had that exact scenario happen to me within the last month, 1 drive in a RAID-6 array died, RMAed and replaced and don't particularly recall exactly how it happened other than it just worked.

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I really find it hard to believe in all of the reviews I've seen NO ONE highlights the restore feature -- or simulates a drive failure etc to see how well a device will restore the data.

It's a bit old of a review but storagereview.com simulated a failure:
http://www.storagereview.com/synology_diskstation_ds411_review

While Synology doesn’t explicitly mention this capability, the DS411+ appears to support hot-swapping drives. We simulated a drive failure by unplugging one of the drives in a RAID5 configuration and loaded in a replacement drive while the unit was still turned on. The DS411+ put up quite fuss with its beeping to let us know the RAID was in degraded mode, but it quickly started to rebuild once we initiated the repair.

:p

I do agree with dragon that it's probably glossed over because it's really simple and easy to restore a failed drive. Login to interface, a couple of clicks and you're done (after a few hours of rebuilding).

It's a bit old of a review but storagereview.com simulated a failure:
http://www.storagereview.com/synology_diskstation_ds411_review

:p

I do agree with dragon that it's probably glossed over because it's really simple and easy to restore a failed drive. Login to interface, a couple of clicks and you're done (after a few hours of rebuilding).

Awesome -- thanks! Do they mention what would happen in the event that your device physically failed? ie. they sent you a replacement device, would it be easy to just swap the new drives back in and move forward with little/no-hassle?

Awesome -- thanks! Do they mention what would happen in the event that your device physically failed? ie. they sent you a replacement device, would it be easy to just swap the new drives back in and move forward with little/no-hassle?

I have moved entire arrays in SHR from one 1812 to another 1812 and it works fine. I did put them in the exact same order but I don't know if that matters. Side note, they do have the capability of running straight industry standard raid5/6 and so on, so in theory you could move the entire array to another raid card in an emergency.

I read it uses mdadm so an HBA would be better than a RAID card.

Back