Need a couple of apps for linux

Archer75

Supreme [H]ardness
I need an app for linux for backing up DVD's. Such as DVD Shrink for windows. Any ideas? Also need something that allows me to access my Pocket PC in linux. It connects to the PC via a USB cradle. As well as some good scanner software for my Epson 3170 scanner. And accessing and working my photos from my digital camera. How about a program for capturing video from my mini DV cam? As well as editing?
There are printer drivers built in linux, but they do not give me a control panel like in windows for me to adjust the quality settings. How would I go about doing this?

Archer75 said:
I need an app for linux for backing up DVD's. Such as DVD Shrink for windows. Any ideas?
dvd::rip does this, but i've never gotten it to work (granted, i only tried for ten minutes)

Archer75 said:
Also need something that allows me to access my Pocket PC in linux. It connects to the PC via a USB cradle.
i don't own a pda, but i found this: http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/index.php

Archer75 said:
As well as some good scanner software for my Epson 3170 scanner.
the only scanner project that i know if is through sane (sane-project.org). but again, i don't have a scanner, and it lists the 3170 as yet unsupported.

Archer75 said:
And accessing and working my photos from my digital camera. How about a program for capturing video from my mini DV cam? As well as editing?
you can mount each as a usb attached storage device. gimp is a great photo editor, but i dunno about video. (you guessed it... no digicam here).

Archer75 said:
There are printer drivers built in linux, but they do not give me a control panel like in windows for me to adjust the quality settings. How would I go about doing this?
cups has the ability to tweak a lot of the settings. if you have cups installed you might need to go to the cups interface and change the settings there.

this thread has made it readily appearent that i need more gadgets.

Thanks for your response. It's much appreciated.

Anybody ever get Rhapsody to run in linux, under wine perhaps?

for the dv-cam stuff i would try kino .
its like iMovie from apple.
if you want more and be able to do real fancy stuff try jahshaka or cinelerra.

for dvd-ripping i also recommend dvd::rip or drip or acidrip :)
or if youre commanline obsessed try transcode (which is the main toll that most others are building guis around.

Back