Need a cheap PSU with two 12V rails

Mohonri

Supreme [H]ardness
I have this crazy idea of taking a PSU, adding some additional electronics, and turning it into a variable voltage power supply. To do it, I'm looking for a PSU with dual 12V rails. I know that a lot of brands exaggerate the power rating of the PSU, and I actually have a PSU on my desk which claims two 12V rails but only has one.

Note that the dual-12V requirement and low cost are pretty much the only requirements. I do not need good power filtering, I don't need small ripple, I don't need high power, I don't need a 120mm fan (actually, I would prefer 80mm fan(s) only, but that's not a big deal), I don't care about the connectors, and I don't care about the brand.

So, since many PSU brands are dishonest about...well, pretty much everything, can you recommend me a cheap power supply which actually has two 12V rails?

Have you looked into the Antec Earthwatts series? Maybe an EA-380D would work for you?

Have you looked into the Antec Earthwatts series? Maybe an EA-380D would work for you?
It would work, and I trust Antec to be at least somewhat reasonably honest, but I'm looking for something cheaper. Perhaps something like this Cooler Master PSU. I'm searching on newegg, and this is my search. I'm hesitant about anything cheaper than that--I don't know whether hec, Rosewill, Coolmax, etc can be trusted when they say the PSU has two 12V rails.

Afaict even when PC PSUs have multiple 12V rails they are nearly always derived from a common source just with seperate overcurrent protection so I doubt you will be able to mod one to produce two independently variable supplies.

Afaict even when PC PSUs have multiple 12V rails they are nearly always derived from a common source just with seperate overcurrent protection so I doubt you will be able to mod one to produce two independently variable supplies.

In that case, should he just use 2 power supplies?

Back