Need a case fan upgrade

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, first my question so you don't have to read all the background:

I'm looking for a high power 120mm exhaust fan that scales down well with a fan controller, and a decent fan controller to control it. 120x38mm is fine & probably preferred over 120x25mm. Ideally I'd like a 5+ channel fan controller and a fan that can run quiet but still be turned up to move a lot of air. I really only use this rig for gaming these days, so it doesn't need to be silent.

Anyone have any suggestions on what fan & fan controller I should get?

Second, Cliffs:

Runs hot.
Removing the case cover drops temps to a comfortable range.
Dual Opteron 285 + GTX260, not overclocked.
Pedestal Style Server case.
2x92mm intakes in front of the drive bays. (optional, I added them)
2x120x25mm middle fans behind the drive bays.
A single 120x38mm exhaust.
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750, which is fairly quiet and moves very little air.
Used to have a PCP&C Turbo-Cool 510, which was loud as *@^*&%#! and moved a ton of air.
Will change exhaust & get a fan controller first, then consider case modding to add a side or top fan.
Need suggestions on exhaust fan & controller.

Finally, Background:
I've got a dual Opteron 285 rig here in a pedestal style case with a single 120x38mm exhaust fan. The fan is some sort of fairly quiet Delta, though I haven't pulled it out lately to double check. Ever since I swapped out my PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 for a Silencer 750 (I have to use a rear fan PSU unless I want to cut up this case, there's a metal plate blocking bottom PSU fans) and upgraded from a 7900GTX to a GTX260, it's been running hot. Naturally I didn't notice until the 70C thermal alarm went off while watching TV with Baldur's Gate paused. (Strangely, Fallout 3 earlier this summer never set it off and the AC has been on all summer)

Popping the case cover off drops my temps to a comfortable range (drops idle CPU temps from 50-55C to the low 40s), so apparently I need some case fan upgrades. This pedestal style server case has 2 92mm intakes (possibly unnecessary - I added them), a couple 120x25mm fans in the middle (between the front drive bays and the mobo), and a single 120x38mm exhaust. All the case fans except the exhaust are adjustable and adjusting them doesn't seem to help much, so I figure the exhaust and PSU are the problems. My old PSU (PCP&C Turbo-Cool 510) was loud as hell (3-bladed Delta...) and moved a ton of air. This one likes to be as quiet as possible and run hot. I don't really have many options as far as PSUs go, so the first thing I'm planning on doing is changing the exhaust.

I'm thinking I'll get a high powered exhaust fan and a fan controller. If that doesn't work or I have to turn it up too high I think I'll get out my Dremel & power drill and add a side or top fan.

I really only use this rig for gaming (I do all my work on my laptop), so it doesn't have to be silent. I used to use it for programming, but if I were still in that line of work (presently a law student) I wouldn't be asking this. I'd most likely have purchased an i7 or a dual Xeon rig by now along with a new case and a few SAS and/or SS drives. I've never been one to scrimp on job equipment. Now proper work gear is a laptop, docking station, a couple big screens, and a good laser printer.

Back