NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Finished my build for time being.

Intel i7 8700
EVGA 1080 ti SC2
Samsung EVO M.2 256gb for OS
Samsung EVO SSD 1tb for games
HGST HD 1tb for shadow play and OS backups
Corsair SF600 PSU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666
ASUS Strix Z370-I Motherboard
Noctua NH-U9S
Noctua NF-A9 PWM
Noctua NF-S12A PWM x 3
CableMod custom cables

CPU temp max avg 55c
GPU temp max avg 72c
Fortnite avg fps 4k max settings 56fps
BF1 avg fps 4k max settings 90fps

Thank you to those who helped me with my questions during the build

eyzRFXz.jpg
eWUqXgW.jpg
6Gq8tj4.jpg

And no build is complete without the beer shot

HFEJd2K.jpg
xfan10... this build is almost exactly what I was considering when venturing into the SFF realm. The only thing that has held me back going SFF is the heat in a small system and the noise of the fans. Based on your experience, what is the sound profile like? Did you trade off a noisier build for a smaller footprint for ITX? I love to have a smaller footprint but the noise profile is probably more important to me and would build an ATX if it’s quieter. Thoughts?

xfan10... this build is almost exactly what I was considering when venturing into the SFF realm. The only thing that has held me back going SFF is the heat in a small system and the noise of the fans. Based on your experience, what is the sound profile like? Did you trade off a noisier build for a smaller footprint for ITX? I love to have a smaller footprint but the noise profile is probably more important to me and would build an ATX if it’s quieter. Thoughts?

I just used a sound meter on my iPhone while running Heaven, I use the app SPLnFFT on Fast with db(A) weight, and sampling the fan noise from the side panel at 10 inches away measured 42db. At 20 inches away it measured 40db. My ambient noise in my apartment is 30db. I know sound is subjective to everyone so my best advice is to meter your current computer at the same distance facing the majority of fans and see what readings you get. I am primarily a Mac user and wanted something more capable to game with but I didnt want it to take a lot of room since I have a Mac and plus a 5 bay external hard drive enclosure. So taking up less space was a priority for me over noise in the beginning. When I was a Window user exclusively 10 years ago, I always did like high end cases and ironically I used to use LianLi cases which happens to be the manufacturer of the Ncase. I can't say if the noise really bothers me or not because I never sit in the same room any of my computers. I gave up no the battle for silence a long time ago and just put them in the next room and run a 15 foot video and single USB cable. But hopefully those decibel readings maybe give you an idea. Also keep in mind I have not altered my fan profile at all. Actually I dont even know how to. The 2 x 90mm fans are connected to the CPU header and the 3 x 120mm fans are connected to the chassis header. Honestly, you could probably get rid of the 2 120mm fans at the bottom and maybe the 120mm on the side and just run the 90mm fans on the Noctua and the stock fans on the 1080 ti. Games don't stress the cpu. my CPU usage playing Battlefield is around 25%. So if you do try it, consider first testing it with the 2 x 90mm Noctua fans and the stock fans on the 1080 ti. Also if I recall correctly, blower cards are louder. I dont over clock the cpu and use a non-K processor because games dont max out the cpu so overclocking is pointless and its almost half the TDP as the K version so its less heat which equates to less fan noise. you can always go liquid cooling on the video card or . there really are a lot options even in this form factor to get it quiet. If you want me to do any more decibel readings, I'll be happy to. Hope this helps.

Good info. I’m not really a gamer anymore, but I’ve previously built high end systems to keep them as future proof as you can with tech. Heat is a bit of an issue in my office which turns into fan noise. The current i920 system I have now could be considered a radiator in my office. Have you been able to tell if the 8700 and GPU is putting out significant heat or is it a relatively cool system.

Good info. I’m not really a gamer anymore, but I’ve previously built high end systems to keep them as future proof as you can with tech. Heat is a bit of an issue in my office which turns into fan noise. The current i920 system I have now could be considered a radiator in my office. Have you been able to tell if the 8700 and GPU is putting out significant heat or is it a relatively cool system.

With all these fans, no. Also its a efficient system since its the latest technology. if its not being stressed 100% then its a lot more quiet. If you are not gaming or stressing the computer for long periods at a time then you dont need all these fans. And a good thing about the Corsair SF600 and EVGA 1080 ti SC2 is the fans dont run at all when the temps are low enough like at idle. I just sound metered my system at idle and at 20 inches away and the db went up .5 db and at 10 inches away it went up 1db from ambient levels.

Playing a ripped bluray file In VLC only raises the cpu utilization to 4% and the GPU to 3%. So if at most your gonna be watching movies, a minor task at length, then the fans and heat shouldn't kick up much at all. Watching YouTube its a little higher, a 1080p video the CPU is still at around 3% but the GPU is at 20%. Still not terrible. A 4K youtube video, the CPU is at 3% and GPU is at 30%. So its a very efficient system since its the latest tech and that will contribute greatly to less heat and fan noise. The only other thing to consider is if you are encoding video, rendering 3D or something like that.

Also if future proof is a priority for you, then you might want to consider holding off on getting a new processor until Intel releases new CPU's without the Meltdown and Spectre flaws.But since you dont game, or if you dont do heavy I/O tasks, then you wouldn't notice much at all with the Windows and motherboard patches.

+1 on rfarmer 's suggestion. It's a nice little unit - compact and should have enough power.

Thank you very much for the idea!

I have looking for the flowrate of the alphacool pumps and I found this:

Alphacool DC-LT 2600 (pump+reservoir combo used in the Eisbaer): 70 L/H (Alphacool website specs)
Alphacool Eiswolf pump: 70 L/H (same model as the previous one but without the reservoir)

These are good values comparing to most AIO pumps, but lower than Custom pumps.

Using only the Eiswolf pump to move the coolant in the entire loop seems to work http://www.overclock.net/t/1564888/...club-and-information-thread/280#post_25556861, But with this setup, the reservoir is gone. Do I need one?

Thanks

Hey guys. I did it. Just another Ncase M1 with some overclock.
8700k / z370i / 2x16 Trident z RGB / SF450 / Celsius s24/ 1070Ti Strix / 950 Pro 512gb

Future: SF600 / NF-F12 Chromax x2

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    791.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    779.9 KB · Views: 101
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    720 KB · Views: 100
  • Final.PNG
    Final.PNG
    427.9 KB · Views: 102
Thank you very much for the idea!

I have looking for the flowrate of the alphacool pumps and I found this:

Alphacool DC-LT 2600 (pump+reservoir combo used in the Eisbaer): 70 L/H (Alphacool website specs)
Alphacool Eiswolf pump: 70 L/H (same model as the previous one but without the reservoir)

These are good values comparing to most AIO pumps, but lower than Custom pumps.

Using only the Eiswolf pump to move the coolant in the entire loop seems to work http://www.overclock.net/t/1564888/...club-and-information-thread/280#post_25556861, But with this setup, the reservoir is gone. Do I need one?

Thanks

A reservoir isn't needed.

There are several advantages to having a reservoir:
- can compensate for small amounts of fluid loss
- makes the loop easier to fill generally
- increases the volume of water in the system to help dampen heat loads
- allows for more options when placing water cooling components
- can be an aesthetic feature

But really, these are mainly convenience factors:
- There is basically no fluid expansion in a computer water cooling loop and fluid loss is generally very very low. Fitting a T line for filling (or any other sort of fill port) and running without a reservoir is absolutely fine.

zdeco , could you please say something about your temps with this aio you are using , thanks
Actually im playing only Squad right now, its using 30% of cpu, so all results from this game.
CPU: 35 idle / 50-52 gaming
GPU: 70Powerlimit: 60c / 100PL: 70c
RAM: 35-40 idle / 50-52 gaming

stock fans is very bad at low rpm because its have some extraneous sounds. Pump silent, but if u turn off all fans u will hear it.
p.s. sry for my eng

Update: So I re-did my thermal paste but it was still the same. Then I noticed that the other F12 infront is spinning slowly. So what I did is I connected both fans using a splitter from my F12 to the GPU side. I ran Valley benchmark, The highest temp I've got is 65c which is good but the fans are now running at 100% and I couldn't control it EVGA precision. Any advice?
Note that the GPU bios is dialed in on the fans specs of the original cooler. These are not the same as the F12, meaning the GPU may think it's running it original fans at 50% but is actually pushing the F12s at max.

Note that the GPU bios is dialed in on the fans specs of the original cooler. These are not the same as the F12, meaning the GPU may think it's running it original fans at 50% but is actually pushing the F12s at max.
Yes, I've realised this so I lowered down my fan curve and it's now quieter.

Hi there. I'm new in this forum and also in pc building (not in pc hardware but it would be my first build) and i was planning to get an ncase m1. I was wondering if i could fit two 120 aios ( watercooled vega 64 and cpu aio) without affecting airflow? Thanks a lot

Hi there. I'm new in this forum and also in pc building (not in pc hardware but it would be my first build) and i was planning to get an ncase m1. I was wondering if i could fit two 120 aios ( watercooled vega 64 and cpu aio) without affecting airflow? Thanks a lot

All answers lie within the thread, search is your friend...

I know on this site the search function is down as often as not so let me google that for you.....;)

I saw this build over on OCN which may interest a few people:

1EiAhJK.jpg

S2Awx47.jpg

Dual CLCs (Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performers), with one connected to the GPU via an NZXT Kraken G10. I wasn't sure this would be doable, mostly because of the tubing, but it looks like it all just barely fits. More pics and details in the OCN thread.

Seriously though, I haven’t tried it so I don’t know how well it works, but I have seen a few people on this thread doing it.

Hey Guys.. Long time lurker here and frequent user over at OCN.

I did a mod to my Ncase adding a mini window to it and would like to share it with you all.

I have also though about maybe taking some orders from people who would like a mini/regular window that don't have the tools or the experience with them to pull off the job. I have talked to a bunch of people expressing how they would like to have a window but are not confident enough to do the mod and id love to help.

Before I make a post about offering a service is that something that is allowed on this thread?

Here is the mod I made.. Hope you enjoy it.

rjcjiHv.jpg

ROaAGob.jpg

rhXMBUA.jpg

I think my Asus z370i is defective as its not detecting any SSD in the second M.2_2 slot in the back. Has anyone else had a similar issue? This should be able to detect two M.2 SSD chips, right? I wanted to install a second OS is why. Maybe I should try a different brand?

Hey Guys.. Long time lurker here and frequent user over at OCN.

I did a mod to my Ncase adding a mini window to it and would like to share it with you all.

I have also though about maybe taking some orders from people who would like a mini/regular window that don't have the tools or the experience with them to pull off the job. I have talked to a bunch of people expressing how they would like to have a window but are not confident enough to do the mod and id love to help.

Before I make a post about offering a service is that something that is allowed on this thread?

Here is the mod I made.. Hope you enjoy it.

rjcjiHv.jpg

ROaAGob.jpg

rhXMBUA.jpg

I would really much like this mod!! Where and when can i buy it!! :)

I have just fitted 2 aio in my Ncase, 1 x Corsair H75 and 1 x evga 1080 ti SC2 hybrid, PM me if you need some help, its pretty easy tbh and so much worth it

Is it better than C14 and ACX 3 combo?

I cant say that, haven't used that combo before.
buuut playing games e.g. PUBG ultra settings on a 4k screen, the temperatures dont exceed 55 degree on GPU and 40 on CPU (Delid) with fans set to 30%.

New feet look good!
- I slightly regret getting mine in bright silver. They stand out too much.... Black is the way to go!

I think my Asus z370i is defective as its not detecting any SSD in the second M.2_2 slot in the back. Has anyone else had a similar issue? This should be able to detect two M.2 SSD chips, right? I wanted to install a second OS is why. Maybe I should try a different brand?

have you tested that M2 in the first slot?

By the way, i finished my ncase build. I had a bad time doing it. First ITX, first intel CPU... and because of no inet connection at home, the OS and other things are not tuned at all. But i would say that in general is working ok. Had no time because of work, but i will test some gaming soon.

photo6008168504596998974.jpg

have you tested that M2 in the first slot?

By the way, i finished my ncase build. I had a bad time doing it. First ITX, first intel CPU... and because of no inet connection at home, the OS and other things are not tuned at all. But i would say that in general is working ok. Had no time because of work, but i will test some gaming soon.

View attachment 51797

looking nice and sleek.

Yeah, I did test the M2 in the first slot and it worked fine. Do you have the same motherboard? can you tell me if you see both M2 slots in the BIOS? does it just show the second one being empty? I dont see anything mentioning a second slot.

looking nice and sleek.

Yeah, I did test the M2 in the first slot and it worked fine. Do you have the same motherboard? can you tell me if you see both M2 slots in the BIOS? does it just show the second one being empty? I dont see anything mentioning a second slot.

Are you using a SATA 3 or PCIE 3.0 x4 M.2? You can use either one with the front slot but only PCIE 3.0 x4 on the rear slot.

Are you using a SATA 3 or PCIE 3.0 x4 M.2? You can use either one with the front slot but only PCIE 3.0 x4 on the rear slot.

Do I have to set that somewhere in the BIOS? if so, would you know what section? I am using Samsung 850 EVO SSD chips, would they be compatible with both modes?

Do I have to set that somewhere in the BIOS? if so, would you know what section? I am using Samsung 850 EVO SSD chips, would they be compatible with both modes?

Ok it looks like the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 are SATA 3, you need one like this to work in both slots Samsung 960 EVO it needs to be PCIE 3.0 x4.

Ok it looks like the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 are SATA 3, you need one like this to work in both slots Samsung 960 EVO it needs to be PCIE 3.0 x4.

so I cant have the 850 in slot one and the 960 in slot 2? both slot one and two have to be the 960's to get the second slot to work? Or can I have just have an 850 in slot one and 960 in slot 2?

i don't have idea of M2 related issues, but i'll look in the bios in the storage section if there is something relating the back M2 slot.

By the way, a new problem. While a prime95 test, i had an error with the raid 0 (2 x crucial 240gb). I could recover from it. But now, everytime i power on the computer,it freezes some seconds at the post section (ROG logo). It success launching w10, and if i reboot, no problem, the post stays the time it has to. The only issue is when i come from power off to power on.

What it could be?

thanks.

xfan10 rfarmer

so I cant have the 850 in slot one and the 960 in slot 2? both slot one and two have to be the 960's to get the second slot to work? Or can I have just have an 850 in slot one and 960 in slot 2?

You can use the 960 on front or back, the 850 will only work in the front. You can run the 850 and the 960 at the same time.

You can use the 960 on front or back, the 850 will only work in the front. You can run the 850 and the 960 at the same time.

great info. I think that this case is perfect for M2 storage system, so i could save the ssds and all the cabling related. This will be my next big upgrade. 2 TB in M2 factor and no ssds would be awesome.

thank you for helping me with this. you just saved am shit load of work. I had a new z370 delivered today thinking the slot was bad and I was dreading having to replace it and re-thermal my cpu. I did call ASUS on this yesterday and they didnt know jack didly squat. the guy was like let me read the manual. haha. but thank you thank you.

i don't have idea of M2 related issues, but i'll look in the bios in the storage section if there is something relating the back M2 slot.

By the way, a new problem. While a prime95 test, i had an error with the raid 0 (2 x crucial 240gb). I could recover from it. But now, everytime i power on the computer,it freezes some seconds at the post section (ROG logo). It success launching w10, and if i reboot, no problem, the post stays the time it has to. The only issue is when i come from power off to power on.

What it could be?

thanks.

xfan10 rfarmer

I am not sure. I have never used RAID before because, well I dont trust RAID Arrays. I've only used JBOD's. you just need to solve it by elimination. Try booting off a single disk and see if you are having the same same issue. Then try a new RAID, if you are still having the issue then it could be your RAID controller.

thank you for helping me with this. you just saved am shit load of work. I had a new z370 delivered today thinking the slot was bad and I was dreading having to replace it and re-thermal my cpu. I did call ASUS on this yesterday and they didnt know jack didly squat. the guy was like let me read the manual. haha. but thank you thank you.

I don't have the Asus I have the Gigabyte Z370N but it works the same way, this is from the Asus manual.

• M.2_1 socket supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA mode M Key design and type 2242 /
2260 / 2280 PCIe and SATA storage devices.
• M.2_2 socket supports PCIe 3.0 x4 M Key design and type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 PCIe
storage devices.

I don't have the Asus I have the Gigabyte Z370N but it works the same way, this is from the Asus manual.

• M.2_1 socket supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA mode M Key design and type 2242 /
2260 / 2280 PCIe and SATA storage devices.
• M.2_2 socket supports PCIe 3.0 x4 M Key design and type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 PCIe
storage devices.

If this wasn't gonna work, the Gigabyte was my only other option as its the only other one that has dual M2. How are you liking it the Gigabyte? did you compare it to the Asus? if so, what made you go with the Gigabyte?

If this wasn't gonna work, the Gigabyte was my only other option as its the only other one that has dual M2. How are you liking it the Gigabyte? did you compare it to the Asus? if so, what made you go with the Gigabyte?

The Gigabyte works fine, seems to overclock well. It was mainly price and lack of RGB with the Gigabyte, not a huge fan of RGB. Also I am using a Dark Rock TF cooler and it is not compatible with the Asus.

The Gigabyte works fine, seems to overclock well. It was mainly price and lack of RGB with the Gigabyte, not a huge fan of RGB. Also I am using a Dark Rock TF cooler and it is not compatible with the Asus.

ok, thats good to know. I'll keep that in mind if I need to switch but it looks like I won't. I have a 960 EVO being delivered my Amazon prime in 2 hours. gonna see I can make this sucker into a Hackintosh as well as a Windows gaming PC with the OS's on their own SSD drives.

Congrats on the build. And great choice in brew.

looking nice and sleek.

I only see an M2 section. No disctintion between the two slots. Like there's only one. And then, come the sata ports section.

I tested to unplug from data one of the raid ssds, and the problem of the booting from power off condition disappeared. I full formatted the other one, tested and no problem with restarting or powering on the system, and after breakfast i'll go to do the same operation with the other raid disk. It was a new crucial bx300, maybe i had bad luck and will have to return it to amazon. I hope it's not a mobo sata port related issue... I don't like too much the conectors, they move a bit, they don't seem to stay fixed tightly.

See ya.

edit: finally the other disk didn't work properly, using the other's sata data cable. I could recover the normal function on booting from power off cleaning the ssd from the crucial storage executive app. I noticed that it first left the ssd offline and then "clean it", not formatting. The i put online it from the disk adm of windows 10, format it, and everythings fine again.

I'll keep an eye on all this issues.

Here some pics of my build, I don´t like too much the cable management, but this is what i get with 3 ssds.

photo6012672104224369861.jpg

photo6012672104224369860.jpg

photo6012672104224369859.jpg

photo6012672104224369858.jpg
photo6012672104224369857.jpg

photo6012672104224369856.jpg
photo6012672104224369855.jpg

photo6012672104224369861.jpg

photo6012672104224369860.jpg

photo6012672104224369859.jpg

photo6012672104224369858.jpg

photo6012672104224369857.jpg

photo6012672104224369856.jpg

photo6012672104224369855.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:

Just curious in case I need to upgrade to Z370, which way is your Dark Rock TF oriented? Is there room for a 120mm fan in the front side panel spot?

Just curious in case I need to upgrade to Z370, which way is your Dark Rock TF oriented? Is there room for a 120mm fan in the front side panel spot?

I am getting ready to switch my computer to a new case, the MI-6, which is really SFF so I pulled the Dark Rock off to test my Big Shuriken 2 to see if it can cope with my 8700k and I can 't remember for sure which way it was oriented. I know it would only fit one way and am pretty sure it was with the heat pipe bends at the bottom.

Yes you can fit a 120mm fan on the right side of the bracket.

Back