NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Good work!! Yes, the first time I also had to remove quite a lot before I could make it all fit.

The CPU should be an easy OC just pushing the multiplier to 45.

You'll be surprised how low you adjust the fan settings and still get temperatures you are comfortable with. For me personally low noise is important. I think you can achieve that with the Strix / NH-C14.

Btw, is there a gap between your case fan and your NH-C14 or is the picture just misleading? Because the fans should sit exactly flush agains the heat sink. See here: http://imgur.com/a/5yE6V

Well spotted on the fan unfortunately the one part I ordered wrong, I ordered a 140mm PWM to replace the stock C14 when it landed yesterday it turns out it is also 140mm mounting ooops on the to do list to change it, so its the stock fan with the clips removed mounted to the Ncase.

Hopefully have a play later thanks for the CPU OC tip, popping on a fresh Windows 10 install on at the moment, the one I was running yesterday was pulled from my previous pc and that was upgraded from 7 eeek, fresh start for this lovely case.

I think the loudest component in the case at the moment is the stock C14 fan not offensive.

Which Fan do you have cooling the C14? will email the vendor later see if I can return my screw up for something more suitable.

Thanks

Last edited:
Well spotted on the fan unfortunately the one part I ordered wrong, I ordered a 140mm PWM to replace the stock C14 when it landed yesterday it turns out it is also 140mm mounting ooops on the to do list to change it, so its the stock fan with the clips removed mounted to the Ncase.

Hopefully have a play later thanks for the CPU OC tip, popping on a fresh Windows 10 install on at the moment, the one I was running yesterday was pulled from my previous pc and that was upgraded from 7 eeek, fresh start for this lovely case.

I think the loudest component in the case at the moment is the stock C14 fan not offensive.

Which Fan do you have cooling the C14? will email the vendor later see if I can return my screw up for something more suitable.

Thanks
Noctua NF-A15 PWM. this is much quieter than the stock NH-C14 fan. I run it at 300rpm in idle and ramping up to ~6-700rpm under load. Still virtually inaudible when just stressing the CPU.

But that gap shouldn't be there even with the stock fan... also your front case fan should be flush against the CPU heat sink. I don't want to get you worried but is the heat sink slightly bent out of shape? Is the distance between the heat sink and the fan the same spacing at the front and back?

Edit: I have a gap of 2mm between the case fan and the heat sink. That is just the right amount to insert the clear rubber dampers which come with the NH-C14.

In your case the rubber dampers are not touching the fans.

Last edited:
Gigabyte Extreme Gaming has a great review here on Hard. The dimensions seem to fit within the N1 specs, 11.5 x 5.5 x 2.2 inches, but it is listed as 'probably' not fitting. Can you tell me why that would be?

Gigabyte Extreme Gaming has a great review here on Hard. The dimensions seem to fit within the N1 specs, 11.5 x 5.5 x 2.2 inches, but it is listed as 'probably' not fitting. Can you tell me why that would be?

I haven't seen any photos of this card, but maybe nobody has confirmed it will fit yet. Are the PCI-E power sockets recessed?

14-125-873-05.jpg
14-125-873-06.jpg

Noctua NF-A15 PWM. this is much quieter than the stock NH-C14 fan. I run it at 300rpm in idle and ramping up to ~6-700rpm under load. Still virtually inaudible when just stressing the CPU.

But that gap shouldn't be there even with the stock fan... also your front case fan should be flush against the CPU heat sink. I don't want to get you worried but is the heat sink slightly bent out of shape? Is the distance between the heat sink and the fan the same spacing at the front and back?

Edit: I have a gap of 2mm between the case fan and the heat sink. That is just the right amount to insert the clear rubber dampers which come with the NH-C14.

In your case the rubber dampers are not touching the fans.

There is a gap of around 2mm from the rubbers will have to have a look and see whats up:

cXnIK3jRlqmGVKkvLSZ496GmhO-WCYQRQHhDhRo33h09mjRL9Tn3BPchfHeot8txXyQhQW9QjL9SZ8ixzTe_--bjoyQgAgyo5MFvdDE02qGBAM2AQa7t9NpRk5mThUEPAew8vLAHAGQRP5i8u4oG5fYEQTRXgZko-nKrw0NI1CCZWOfA9eq5UQcHlH2Ns5i6VgFVFFvEEEQ-7OnBZ5Xd0cYno9pzQhP83mGteTxMHIONFJ5FvHWZk_rTngDHg7jRBOZXvH2l5az7HfrGNuoFIzfq62Gfr7rBs_XrJU-IL9YGsDP1GrjEPi1G2nJjtcUTuz5V73dl6-sXNI1uWQd4gz06MZCWGyRJJssnuYqtL-kxwBgXBHD91H0cux6QcYZf2Af5YRnmSw-ET5D6nXSvhP0ZJTLakMycZd0Hd9WXFgvJqJS7Dxfd-fXr64ZPSvUg2LJv0AVazWe-cikFG5Bn3BU3CTCjn4rkGV7gg1heYYpq2G7EvwQTeVFsMg70eT33xxz1WBmw1WJN2T4GBcYZ3UPxIeW5Ce4AA4tiMH80O66pQogNbIIPmnaqXcynGH5yD2AqYVxDagaw3Nj1kiHiU7kOc7OOqZNcpPCflVmaFi_bjzIjs0QPthpEGsELkeX9_cTAGpsrTA0d0-pIKE_RTCzB0LvkDF3r9vlrB-A89A=w716-h954-no

Better safe than sorry ran prime for 45mins @4.2
HoKdxeBEeeKy6b8D0zq7B0-ra9-Y9dW5uXQYUA08By8KjFcphqlmgMp5HSXz_vFL0UOWzKIyvhH0bIZfB8LpthWOL3J9AbxWQHYRLAEfpKb8dbFrmLH8fKQ1ZFGtzfSz-xw2OUEJ3x8kYy7aLrSh5UdY2zhDvftL6L2sJpfin24NBuId75LWnfxC2qkTBm9z4ALE7zHJJPnPHsY5joSVRb8GXczHaB7BpVHcOf7ChjpL1mCJwLux2IkbaxulVo0cAqSYQSzzFiTnGZ9NLun7w12xrgcxfzfhjqUiBliYU3yGClF0f5vP8HCsX2RqhWrRB9JTtpCjtIxwTdlXHsFpXWVQHJtu25cr3csfbW1cZvAxP_t4kCQNWj17ofnFNJ5KyQDEFeXCM_KaYkd3VfBaII7VdURIsVeewriVddxmhrENex0CJbp2fOcRrBlwPEGk9gTPE58afPoRc8USbUjUZBQ1Du1kE9QM4lPJRYUynS2q-hYpR_GTvKrQbI7d8abWBgc0KvuODy9ypIWmSuVYXDxHvsyKSdk_OUV64jxL8QIDDxLGS7d-hAVceUf8BydDYsxdwPNlEzbYYCY9kNZxpLJaTht5qxDBzO8Dp4c7AAK2rXHEkUtWnjuArYzLaFB694O3z-KNOlSVMaeY5WtLfkobhwgPtvTG7leApitycQ=w329-h371-no

Will take the side plate out and have a look.

Thanks for the photos. Here is a third showing the thickness:

20160605141148_m.png

This card's dimensions are right at the limit according to Necere's post. Now, the Asus Strix exceeds the length limit slightly, but some have been able to get it inside the M1, though with some difficulty. So, it would be a risk, but maybe this one can fit too. The power connectors don't appear to be too high.

Note, this card is more than 2 slots thick (57 mm vs. 41 mm); so it would not be possible to have normal 25 mm thick fans on the bottom of the case. Some owners have reported that they aren't needed, so again, it's a chance you would have to take.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any photos of this card, but maybe nobody has confirmed it will fit yet. Are the PCI-E power sockets recessed?

Hard to find a good picture of it but the sockets are indeed recessed.

GIGABYTE-GTX-1070-XTREME-GAMING-3.jpg

So many questions....So, should I find a NH C14 or stick with my original idea of the Corsair H100i? Is one going to be better over the other?
Thanks.

I bought both the Corsair AIO and the Noctua C14. After trying to twist/turn the super-stiff tubes of the AIO into various positions, I opted to use the C14.

Sorry guys, I can't find it if already posted. I'm for external (desk mounted) watercooling: what are read holes diameter? I'd like to use a pair of fillports.

Hmm....take a chance and make it work?

Gigabyte:
H=57 L=287 W=140 mm

Strix:
H=40 L=298 x W=134

If I had not seen posts in this thread of the strix fitting prior to my install yesterday I probably would of gave up trying to install it its that tight, I think the length was the biggest issue, plenty room once its in but my god getting it in hah.

With it going into the third slot was what finally made me not chance it.

Max height (or width):

• For cards up to 12.5" (317mm) or cards in the third slot: 4.4" (111mm)

Think I underestimated that task thought it was going to be a walk in the park, had the cooler out clean/repaste three times due to bad planning needing to fit other parts first like the PSU. The Strix has to be right on the limit of what you can get in took some wiggling.

Can you explain your process for getting the Strix to fit into your case? Thanks.

There is a gap of around 2mm from the rubbers will have to have a look and see whats up:

Better safe than sorry ran prime for 45mins @4.2
HoKdxeBEeeKy6b8D0zq7B0-ra9-Y9dW5uXQYUA08By8KjFcphqlmgMp5HSXz_vFL0UOWzKIyvhH0bIZfB8LpthWOL3J9AbxWQHYRLAEfpKb8dbFrmLH8fKQ1ZFGtzfSz-xw2OUEJ3x8kYy7aLrSh5UdY2zhDvftL6L2sJpfin24NBuId75LWnfxC2qkTBm9z4ALE7zHJJPnPHsY5joSVRb8GXczHaB7BpVHcOf7ChjpL1mCJwLux2IkbaxulVo0cAqSYQSzzFiTnGZ9NLun7w12xrgcxfzfhjqUiBliYU3yGClF0f5vP8HCsX2RqhWrRB9JTtpCjtIxwTdlXHsFpXWVQHJtu25cr3csfbW1cZvAxP_t4kCQNWj17ofnFNJ5KyQDEFeXCM_KaYkd3VfBaII7VdURIsVeewriVddxmhrENex0CJbp2fOcRrBlwPEGk9gTPE58afPoRc8USbUjUZBQ1Du1kE9QM4lPJRYUynS2q-hYpR_GTvKrQbI7d8abWBgc0KvuODy9ypIWmSuVYXDxHvsyKSdk_OUV64jxL8QIDDxLGS7d-hAVceUf8BydDYsxdwPNlEzbYYCY9kNZxpLJaTht5qxDBzO8Dp4c7AAK2rXHEkUtWnjuArYzLaFB694O3z-KNOlSVMaeY5WtLfkobhwgPtvTG7leApitycQ=w329-h371-no

Will take the side plate out and have a look.

Hmm, those temps seem a little high. But to be honest I think Prime95 is not a realistic stress test. Aida64 is a much better real world test and I am reaching 55°C on the CPU package.

Here you can see the spacing a little bit better on mine.

memory express doesn't ship to the US? That's sad, they had the NH C14.
Memory Express shipped my NH C-14 to,the US.
^ Great thanks...OK, cross that one off.
Too bad. I have come to the unproven opinion that those that don't use bottom case fans would benefit from GPUs that are wider, i.e, 2.5 slots in width, because of the manufacturer possibly using thicker, more efficient fans and/or bigger heat sinks. This is pure speculation on my part. Anybody want to comment that has more experience?

^ Memory Express web site says they do not ship to the US.

From their web site....

Does MemoryExpress.com offer international shipping?

We are unable to ship orders outside of Canada and we only accept credit cards issued in Canada for payment.

^ Memory Express web site says they do not ship to the US.

From their web site....

Does MemoryExpress.com offer international shipping?

We are unable to ship orders outside of Canada and we only accept credit cards issued in Canada for payment.

But they seem sold out anyway... at least that is what the website says.

^Had them yesterday. More than knowing the shipping charge how exactly did you get one shipped? The web site won't even let you do a check out from the US.

So what's the second choice for a cooler?

^Had them yesterday. More than knowing the shipping charge how exactly did you get one shipped? The web site won't even let you do a check out from the US.

So what's the second choice for a cooler?

Well it seems they have them no more... As mentioned previously I could send one from Germany...

Ugh... So, what's the best way to troubleshoot freezing?

What's installed:
ASRock Z170 Gaming mini-ITX/ac
Intel i7 6600K
Noctua NH-L9x65 (While I wait for my C14 from a friend in the Great White North)
GSkill TridentZ 2x16GB DDR4-3200
Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (current monitors don't have the HDMI or DP for integrated graphics)

Used MemTest86 to test the RAM (and to a lesser extent, the CPU) and had gotten freezes. I pulled off the cooler, noted a corner that got missed, wiped and reapplied with an X, and re-seated cooler. MemTest worked.

Thinking I was good, I semi-finalized all my cabling and connected all my headers (front USB, HD Audio, SSDs) and put everything together. Windows can't/won't start - kernel panics. I though maybe it was driver related since I'm using the same drive as I had my old stuff on, but I can't even start the reinstall using my USB drive without it freezing on me.

Ran MemTest overnight, but it works just fine. So it would seem it's down to either CPU or Mobo (or maybe GPU, but I can't test until mid-week when my Dell S2417DG comes in). The max temp was only 63C, so I don't think it's heat related... but what else should I be doing to troubleshoot this? Are there any other boot-based programs like MemTest to help determine wtf might be going on?

Thanks!

What's installed:
Intel i7 6600K
Noctua NH-L9x65 (While I wait for my C14 from a friend in the Great White North)
Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (current monitors don't have the HDMI or DP for integrated graphics)

Used MemTest86 to test the RAM (and to a lesser extent, the CPU) and had gotten freezes. I pulled off the cooler, noted a corner that got missed, wiped and reapplied with an X, and re-seated cooler. MemTest worked.

Thinking I was good, I semi-finalized all my cabling and connected all my headers (front USB, HD Audio, SSDs) and put everything together. Windows can't/won't start - kernel panics. I though maybe it was driver related since I'm using the same drive as I had my old stuff on, but I can't even start the reinstall using my USB drive without it freezing on me.

Ran MemTest overnight, but it works just fine. So it would seem it's down to either CPU or Mobo (or maybe GPU but I can't test til Tuesday when my Dell S2417DG comes in next week). The max temp was only 63C, so I don't think it's heat related... but what else should I be doing to troubleshoot this? Are there any other boot-based programs like MemTest to help determine wtf might be going on?

Thanks!

Troubleshoot by adding / removing components. You can test without the GPU. Find someone who has memory that can fit your board or get new one from the shop. If it still persists it's either the CPU or mobo. Did you install the newest mobo firmware?

Hmm, those temps seem a little high. But to be honest I think Prime95 is not a realistic stress test. Aida64 is a much better real world test and I am reaching 55°C on the CPU package.

Here you can see the spacing a little bit better on mine.

Thanks for the pics, grabbed a trial of Aida64 Extreme looks to be same temps bouncing between mid 40's to mid 50's will leave it be for now and have another look when I get a replacement fan for the cooler.

Cheers

What's installed:
Intel i7 6600K

Ran MemTest overnight, but it works just fine. So it would seem it's down to either CPU or Mobo (or maybe GPU, but I can't test until mid-week when my Dell S2417DG comes in). The max temp was only 63C, so I don't think it's heat related... but what else should I be doing to troubleshoot this? Are there any other boot-based programs like MemTest to help determine wtf might be going on?

Thanks!

Also, load the BIOS Defaults (especially after updating) and then proceed to turn off or on whatever integrated components (such as onboard audio) you want to.

Make sure the RAM is properly recognized. you may have to load an XMP profile from the memory modules.

I recommend not changing other settings until Windows is installed.

Another option is to install using a USB 2 port, just in case the USB 3 port requires an updated driver.

Finally, make sure you are installing Windows with a recent build. Some early builds had difficulties with some hardware.

Can you explain your process for getting the Strix to fit into your case? Thanks.

plate next to slot blanks off All slot blanks off, card in angled in through the hole above the front IO panel and kind of seesawed / wiggled / a little pressing of the cards pci plates at the bottom one quick bulge of the stressed eric vein then your home dry :)

It doesn't help its the last thing to go in if you do it in one sitting, maybe its the "I have been building this for hours and this doesn't fit" frustration that gets you to get a little angry with it and get it home :)

Last edited:
You can test without the GPU. Find someone who has memory that can fit your board or get new one from the shop. If it still persists it's either the CPU or mobo. Did you install the newest mobo firmware?
I guess I could try hooking up the HDMI to the TV, but otherwise I won't be able to use onboard until the new monitor with DisplayPort comes in. As far as updates, the UEFI 'BIOS' has a function to update directly (this was cool), which was the very first thing I did before testing.

Also, load the BIOS Defaults (especially after updating) and then proceed to turn off or on whatever integrated components (such as onboard audio) you want to.

Make sure the RAM is properly recognized. you may have to load an XMP profile from the memory modules.
Thanks, Qrash. The update had already reset everything to default; literally the only thing that has changed in my settings is to enable the XMP profile (and initially fixing the date/time). RAM is definitely working, according to MemTest - I even tested with single sticks, but haven't gotten a single error in the four or so times I've run it. I'll see about disabling onboard components.

Thinking about custom cable sizes for my build. Is there a chart or something about what sizes I could reduce each psu cable to? Thanks

Thinking about custom cable sizes for my build. Is there a chart or something about what sizes I could reduce each psu cable to? Thanks
This is what I had for my ASRock Z170 mini-ITX/ac: https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/#cfgload:582098c12dd9a3.92426483

Even the minimum lengths are at times too long (specifically the ATX cable). If I did it all again, I would have shortened my EPS to 350mm, since I simply routed it behind my motherboard, creating extra slack, and would have put had the SATA power to 50mm since my drives are next to each other.

Obviously, you will need to compare your motherboard for placement of each power header vs mine, but hopefully gives you a starting point.

What's installed:
Intel i7 6600K

Thanks!

I think I'm more confident about it being the motherboard. When setting it up near the TV, I couldn't get any signal out from the integrated video. Ended up taking it out of the case and trying to set it up, and while the power subsystem works, I cannot get a splash screen or to BIOS. I can't even toggle numlock (my defacto responsiveness test) on the keyboard, even when removing the PS2 adapter and going straight USB.

I guess it could still be the CPU, but there are too many reviews about mobo issues (still went with it because it hits every checkbox I was looking for) that it seems more likely.

EDIT: Well, the power subsystem no longer seems to work. Re-seated the CPU as a last-ditch effort, and then re-oriented the L9x65 (the brackets can be configured in two ways, so I tried the other). Now the cooler fan doesn't even come on (though it does drift in reverse when I cut the power??). Definitely seems the board is deteriorating before my eyes.

Last edited:
I think I'm more confident about it being the motherboard. When setting it up near the TV, I couldn't get any signal out from the integrated video. Ended up taking it out of the case and trying to set it up, and while the power subsystem works, I cannot get a splash screen or to BIOS. I can't even toggle numlock (my defacto responsiveness test) on the keyboard, even when removing the PS2 adapter and going straight USB.

I guess it could still be the CPU, but there are too many reviews about mobo issues (still went with it because it hits every checkbox I was looking for) that it seems more likely.

A buddy of mine is also having issues with an ASRock and the customer service is not helping him at all. Very disappointing!

Hmm....take a chance and make it work?

Recessed power sockets = good or bad?

I've actually ordered the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming, I personally think it'll fit as only the middle part of the GPU is taller than with the Strix.

Also, someone wrote in the parts compatability list that the 1070 fits, but the fit is tight. Anyway, I'm receiving my 1070 next week and I'll be able to confirm if its fits or not. Really hope it does, since the card gets great reviews.

Had the same exact issue you describe with a ASROCK Z170M Extreme4 mobo. I ultimately had to install basic DDR4 2133 ram to get video to work and then get into the BIOS setup. I was able to reinstall DDR4 3000 ram after that and it was fine. YMMV though.

I've actually ordered the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming, I personally think it'll fit as only the middle part of the GPU is taller than with the Strix.

Also, someone wrote in the parts compatability list that the 1070 fits, but the fit is tight. Anyway, I'm receiving my 1070 next week and I'll be able to confirm if its fits or not. Really hope it does, since the card gets great reviews.

Yeah I looked at that card when it came out and I think it will fit also. They have a unique cooling solution and I am curious how it will work in the Ncase. Keep us updated.

So guys...what's the preferred second choice of cooler after the C14?

Think it might be the Cryorig C1, or some of noctua's smaller tower coolers (U9s i.e.).

I was able to score a Noctua NH-C12P and I'll be using it with a bigass 140mm fan. Think the performance will come close to the C14.

Apart from air coolers ppl are using AIO's a lot as well.

Back