NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Just started putting together things in my NCASE - using a Gigabyte 1070 Mini, which appears to come in a bit taller than most GPUs. You have to take out the side panel receptacle thingy in order to have it fit in.

nfdIRkt.jpg

Unfortunately the case seems to scratch quite easily - have quite a few from trying to get everything together =(

Can't wait to see this built up. If I had the luxury of time I absolutely would have got the mini over a full length card!

I didn't realise they were available now!!

There's passive cooling on the vrm with the metal baseplate (assuming the stock thermal pads are still there between vrm and baseplate). If you want, you can get a small aluminum heat sink block and use thermal double sided tape to attached on top of the base plate for added dissipation. Just make sure the heatsink isn't too tall to interfere with the main Accelero heatsink.

I meant to write about the Accelero mounting as well but got distracted...
Yes, mine is also slightly bent like yours. I didn't use the giant backplate which came with my Accelero 4, I used a NZXT g10 backplate instead. I'm not too concerned as long as the video card itself isn't bend. Are your mounting nuts too tight?

Honestly? Those screws don't feel tight at all. That was a complaint I saw when looking up installation instructions. But if yours has a bend and clearly it's keeping the heatsink tight against the GPU then I'm probably good.

I'll possibly look at those aluminum heatsinks, but I'm not overvolting my GPU or anything so I'm guessing my VRM temps will be fine.

Thanks for all your help!

Can you fit the side panel back on after installing the GPU + power cable?
I am curious of that too, I know it will be a snug fit.
Yep it does fit, though its a bit snug.

Can't wait to see this built up. If I had the luxury of time I absolutely would have got the mini over a full length card!

I didn't realise they were available now!!
Some bad cell phone pics coming right up! Recycling the Seasonic X650 I was previously using. Wires basically all shoved under it in the front =D. Need to figure out where to shove some fans - I think I can fit one on the floor under the GPU and probably find a 92mm for the back. Might also reconsider reorienting the cooler up-down. The GPU also runs fanless at desktop, which is pretty nice too.
fedweu0.jpg

Tiny compared to its mATX predecessor (that I stole the SSD and PSU from)
4HaP9ls.jpg

Hey Guys,

What is the best slot load ODD recommended? I'm not sure if I want blue-ray but definitely at least a dvd burner.

So what you be the recommendation for:
  • DVD Burner
  • Blue Ray Burner

The Silverstone seems to be popular. I have the older Panasonic UJ-265 bluray drive, but mine has some sort of issue. A lot of people here have the Panasonic though with no problems.

Is there a post that details the differences between versions? I have one of the earlier versions and I'm curious what is changed now.

Yep it does fit, though its a bit snug.

Some bad cell phone pics coming right up! Recycling the Seasonic X650 I was previously using. Wires basically all shoved under it in the front =D. Need to figure out where to shove some fans - I think I can fit one on the floor under the GPU and probably find a 92mm for the back. Might also reconsider reorienting the cooler up-down. The GPU also runs fanless at desktop, which is pretty nice too.

Tiny compared to its mATX predecessor (that I stole the SSD and PSU from)
Looks pretty good, I might have to look into that card now. :)
Also, you can shove some of your wires between the front wall and the PSU, that's what I did when I built with that PSU.

(click for bigger)

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

What is the best slot load ODD recommended? I'm not sure if I want blue-ray but definitely at least a dvd burner.

So what you be the recommendation for:
  • DVD Burner
  • Blue Ray Burner
I got the M1 with the slot but decided at the last minute to get an external USB3 DVD/RW.

Hi

After following this thread for months I have finally decided to get a N1, including water cooling.

All components have finally arrived. I have also ordered Demci dust filter because I would like to keep dust out of the case. Unfortunately, I am not too happy with the filters:
  • The top filter does not fit; it is too small - see picture (apologies for the bad quality). In the picture the filter lies below the top cover. The white borders is the paper that you would remove in order to stick the magnet to the top. Because it is too small it covers the holes. This does not look good at all and dust will stick on it after a while and it will look even worse
  • The bottom filter an only be mounted inside the case. It is too large to mount it outside (because of the feet). This means that you either have a dust filter or fans/hdd..
  • The side dust filter covers the mounting screws for the radiator/the fans too. The screws and the filter are to thick and the side cover does not fit anymore
  • The side dust filter only fits on the left side. There is no filter for the right side (seen from the front).
Is that in line with your experiences with Demci filters? I like the concept but the implementation is really bad. Are there any alternatives?

Last edited:
My system is finally assembled!

LINK TO PICTURES
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Intel i5 6600k
Noctua C14
Asus MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4
Sapphire Radeon R9 Nano
Corsair SF600 PSU
A pair of SSDs

Noctua NF-F12 (3, Intake)
Noctua NF-P14 FLX (2, Intake)
Noctua NF-A9x14 (Exhaust)

I haven't done much heavy testing yet, but some brief rounds in MechWarrior Online hasn't got my temps over 60 yet :)

LINK TO PICTURES

Intel i5 6600k
Noctua C14
Sapphire Radeon R9 Nano
Corsair SF600 PSU
A pair of SSDs

I haven't done much heavy testing yet, but some brief rounds in MechWarrior Online hasn't got my temps over 60 yet :)
Nice!
What is the PCB on the front panel beneath your SSD?

Nice!
What is the PCB on the front panel beneath your SSD?
That motherboard comes with a fan extension card since there aren't any fan headers on the board itself. It's really handy :)

Powered by a molex connection, and wired to the mobo via a single proprietary 5 pin connector.

UaDcJ0a.png

That motherboard comes with a fan extension card since there aren't any fan headers on the board itself. It's really handy :)

Powered by a molex connection, and wired to the mobo via a single proprietary 5 pin connector.

UaDcJ0a.png

... and it looks like it fits perfectly on the front panel, even if you had an optical drive. The M1 is so flexible!

Can anyone tell me if this is a good graphics card. Does it perform as well as the full length version?
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC GV-N1070IXOC-8GD Video Card
14-125-893-01.jpg

I am looking at this card instead of the FE version because I feel it would be easier to cool by putting a fan in pull at the end of the card to take the heat out that is released into the case and supposedly it runs at 60c with a full load. I am trying to build a quiet pc. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

UaDcJ0a.png
Wow that's awesome! That's exactly what I needed, it looks like the fan board adds another 4 headers? I wish I knew about your motherboard before I bought mine (gigabyte z170n gaming 5)

It lacks a M.2 connector though, which is a deal-breaker for me along with the hefty price tag. I'd just use Y splitters to put in the fans. The G1 Gaming unfortunately has only 1 case header, but the Asus Progaming and the Asrock Fatal1ty have 2.

Last edited:
squito_1
I don't think those cards are out yet, are they?

Nanook
Yea it adds 4 fan headers & locations for 3 thermal probes (the board includes one).

Tyki
The lack of M.2 does kinda suck, but since I don't own any of those & had to buy new SSDs anyways I wasn't really missing out.
If you were upgrading and already had M.2, then yea I'd say it's a pretty glaring omission.

squito_1
I don't think those cards are out yet, are they?

Nanook
Yea it adds 4 fan headers & locations for 3 thermal probes (the board includes one).

Tyki
The lack of M.2 does kinda suck, but since I don't own any of those & had to buy new SSDs anyways I wasn't really missing out.
If you were upgrading and already had M.2, then yea I'd say it's a pretty glaring omission.
Some people have them, someone on the last page fit it into the M1.
Firewolfy has one, and so does someone on smallformfactor.net

LINK TO PICTURES

Intel i5 6600k
Noctua C14
Sapphire Radeon R9 Nano
Corsair SF600 PSU
A pair of SSDs

Great pics. I will use these to help me manage the cable 'fretard' (A Rhode Island Italian expression, scrambled eggs, ie, meaning a big mess...) when I finally get rolling on this build.

Can anyone please tell me what is the max cpu cooler height? (with no side bracket )A nh-c14s + its noctua fan is about 142mm.Will it fit or shoud the fan be replaced with a slim one?

Trying to finalize case fans decision...

*2 Noctua NF-F12's for bottom of case (intake)

*2 Noctua NF-F12's to replace the Corsair fans on my H100i V1 AIO (exhaust), OR instead, get the Vardar F4-120ER's for my AIO?

*For the rear of the case, I want a 92 mm (as exhaust) fan... Is the NoctuaNF-A9x14 (narrower one / not much room back there), PWM (38 CFM), the only option there? I was hoping for something stronger for the rear exhaust fan...

The rig is: M1, Asus Pro Gaming, i7-6700k, 1 SSD, 1080-FE, and Corsair SF600 PSU...

Last edited:
majic12
The C14S will fit, but you won't have room for the upper fan, only the lower. The discontinued C14 barely has room for the upper fan.

RIRed48
You don't really need THAT much exhaust imo. The case passively cools well, and is well suited to mostly intakes.
My case is ALL intakes except for the one exhaust fan, and my GPU is hotter than your 1080 :p

Mine arrived today from the August batch! All I can say is that this case is truly amazingly built and beautiful. Definitely a fingerprint magnet, though.

Waiting on a Samsung M.2 and an SF600 to start the build...

Hello there Ncase owners and creators!

Just thought I'd post my build here and show my appreciation for this wonderful, beautiful case. :)

It's been a while since I made this, it's my first custom watercooled build, and also my smallest. :D This is a long one, so I'll spoiler it to save some people the bandwidth!

Save for the glorious reservoir it doesn't look much different, until you look inside...

[/IMG]

I'm using a PE 240 rad, along with EK's Supremacy Evo CPU & universal VGA blocks.

The efficiency of space in this case is just unreal, it is perfect. I love how Necere thought to make two different locations for the power cord to go, as otherwise it would prevent the radiator from fitting. So much thought went into this, and to see such a small-scale project succeed like this is just amazing.

Just look at how tight that tubing is. Needless to say, as a first-timer putting this together terrified me, and still does. :eek:

Speaking of terrifying, here is the lower section, where the loop connects to the pump, the GPU block, and then goes back over to the radiator. To say this was difficult to put together would be an understatement. I needed to have a fan underneath the VRM section of the GPU or else there would be no active cooling for them, and so the pump had to be on the left side, which led to the intricate arrangement you see before you.

I'm hiding nothing with this one. Here's the pump. It's a DDC 3.2 PWM, and if it looks like it isn't screwed down to anything, that's because it isn't. This was, unfortunately, the only way I could make it fit while still being able to close the case panel. I got this pump as I was worried about space constraints, but now I'm thinking I could get away with a custom-top version and then be able to use compression fittings as opposed to the built-in barbs. Maybe then I could actually secure the thing properly! Despite no screws attaching it, it is very much stuck in that position, and for now at least is not moving anywhere.

Here's a picture of the full loop. There are some very long runs to get from the reservoir to the pump, and then from the GPU to the radiator.

I initially thought these could be done around the side of the GPU, between it and the side panel. This is why I couldn't do something like that with this build, and why I had to go with a universal GPU block instead of a full-cover one. If this was a standard-height GPU, these things would be possible, but that is for another time.

For those scrolling by though, here's a picture of the finished product, in all its glory:

And That, is why I love the Ncase M1.

Just received my N1 - Group which was dispatched on 10th August .
Wire management has gone out the window, but that's fine as the case has no window anyway! - the Corsair Sf600 24 pins is horrible to deal with.
Posting pictures in case anyone wants to see the compatibility of a NH-U9S + Corsair HG10 N970 + H55 combo
Its a tight fit, and I decided to remove the HG10 fan as it was quite loud compared to some low rpm 120mm's.

Also swapped the power button with a LED one as described elsewhere in this thread:.

Mine arrived today from the August batch! All I can say is that this case is truly amazingly built and beautiful. Definitely a fingerprint magnet, though.

Waiting on a Samsung M.2 and an SF600 to start the build...

In the meantime, follow my directions: Wash your hands in hot water, then put them in your clothes dryer for 60 minutes on 'high temp' setting, and hope that they shrink like hell... will make your assembly/build a lot easier....

Hello there Ncase owners and creators!

Just thought I'd post my build here and show my appreciation for this wonderful, beautiful case. :)

It's been a while since I made this, it's my first custom watercooled build, and also my smallest. :D This is a long one, so I'll spoiler it to save some people the bandwidth!

Save for the glorious reservoir it doesn't look much different, until you look inside...

[/IMG]

I'm using a PE 240 rad, along with EK's Supremacy Evo CPU & universal VGA blocks.

The efficiency of space in this case is just unreal, it is perfect. I love how Necere thought to make two different locations for the power cord to go, as otherwise it would prevent the radiator from fitting. So much thought went into this, and to see such a small-scale project succeed like this is just amazing.

Just look at how tight that tubing is. Needless to say, as a first-timer putting this together terrified me, and still does. :eek:

Speaking of terrifying, here is the lower section, where the loop connects to the pump, the GPU block, and then goes back over to the radiator. To say this was difficult to put together would be an understatement. I needed to have a fan underneath the VRM section of the GPU or else there would be no active cooling for them, and so the pump had to be on the left side, which led to the intricate arrangement you see before you.

I'm hiding nothing with this one. Here's the pump. It's a DDC 3.2 PWM, and if it looks like it isn't screwed down to anything, that's because it isn't. This was, unfortunately, the only way I could make it fit while still being able to close the case panel. I got this pump as I was worried about space constraints, but now I'm thinking I could get away with a custom-top version and then be able to use compression fittings as opposed to the built-in barbs. Maybe then I could actually secure the thing properly! Despite no screws attaching it, it is very much stuck in that position, and for now at least is not moving anywhere.

Here's a picture of the full loop. There are some very long runs to get from the reservoir to the pump, and then from the GPU to the radiator.

I initially thought these could be done around the side of the GPU, between it and the side panel. This is why I couldn't do something like that with this build, and why I had to go with a universal GPU block instead of a full-cover one. If this was a standard-height GPU, these things would be possible, but that is for another time.

For those scrolling by though, here's a picture of the finished product, in all its glory:

And That, is why I love the Ncase M1.

How dare you put our beautiful M1... on the floor !!!! Shame on you... :)

In the meantime, follow my directions: Wash your hands in hot water, then put them in your clothes dryer for 60 minutes on 'high temp' setting, and hope that they shrink like hell... will make your assembly/build a lot easier....

:nailbiting: I had hoped that the process won't involve a dryer....

A bit ashamed to say I've hardly done anything to this point on my build...

My current rig is running fast and fine... that's one rationalization. The real reason is, I see all these components on the dining room table with this little case, and I say to myself as I walk by, how in the hell am I going to fit all this stuff in that little, rectangular box...without getting OCD/anxiety...

Tomm (Monday) is a day off for me... SO, 7am to Panera Bread for bagel/coffee, then home and I WILL get to it....

I've only mounted the SSD to outside/front of case frame. (all panels removed), and put the H100i V1 AIO block on the CPU w/ the MB outside the case to be sure it fit correctly. (it actually didn't fit because the V1 AIO did NOT have the right motherboard mounting bracket (had to take it from the V2 AIO, which I had purchased as well).

Tomm, will disconnect AIO from MB, put MB in the case just to judge the fit, etc. Then with the MB in the case, I'll mount the Corsair SF600 and it's cables in the case (think this will be the biggest horror, and I may possibly replace the Corsair cables w/ custom...not sure yet). Which direction should the PSU face in the case? Then, try to mount the AIO radiator to the side panel w/ stock fans (exhaust out) just to see how it fits. (but I will replace those prob with 2 Vardar 120 mm fans.) . I will also get 2 Noctua 120 mm fans as (intake) on the bottom of case. (I need to order these 4 fans tomm). I'm not getting a 92 mm fan for rear of case.... I don't think the Noctua 92x92x25 will fit there and many folks have told me that the slimmer...92x92x14 Noctua would be useless as exhaust.

I'll be drinking lots of coffee tomm and swearing I'm quite sure... but it will be fun, I keep telling myself....

Last edited:
majic12
The C14S will fit, but you won't have room for the upper fan, only the lower. The discontinued C14 barely has room for the upper fan.

RIRed48
You don't really need THAT much exhaust imo. The case passively cools well, and is well suited to mostly intakes.
My case is ALL intakes except for the one exhaust fan, and my GPU is hotter than your 1080 :p

Thx. I'm not getting a 92 mm (exhaust) fan for rear of case. I don't think the Noctua 92x92x25 would fit, and the 92x92x14 will not be strong enough, imo. So, 2 Noctua 120 mm on bottom as intake, and 2 Vardar 120 mm's to replace the Corsair fans on the AIO.... This sound like a plan? I've only changed my mind 12 times so far...

A bit ashamed to say I've hardly done anything to this point on my build...

My current rig is running fast and fine... that's one rationalization. The real reason is, I see all these components on the dining room table with this little case, and I say to myself as I walk by, how in the hell am I going to fit all this stuff in that little, rectangular box...without getting OCD/anxiety...

Tomm (Monday) is a day off for me... SO, 7am to Panera Bread for bagel/coffee, then home and I WILL get to it....

I've only mounted the SSD to outside/front of case frame. (all panels removed), and put the H100i V1 AIO block on the CPU w/ the MB outside the case to be sure it fit correctly. (it actually didn't fit because the V1 AIO did NOT have the right motherboard mounting bracket (had to take it from the V2 AIO, which I had purchased as well).

Tomm, will disconnect AIO from MB, put MB in the case just to judge the fit, etc. Then with the MB in the case, I'll mount the Corsair SF600 and it's cables in the case (think this will be the biggest horror, and I may possibly replace the Corsair cables w/ custom...not sure yet). Which direction should the PSU face in the case? Then, try to mount the AIO radiator to the side panel w/ stock fans (exhaust out) just to see how it fits. (but I will replace those prob with 2 Vardar 120 mm fans.) . I will also get 2 Noctua 120 mm fans as (intake) on the bottom of case. (I need to order these 4 fans tomm). I'm not getting a 92 mm fan for rear of case.... I don't think the Noctua 92x92x25 will fit there and many folks have told me that the slimmer...92x92x14 Noctua would be useless as exhaust.

I'll be drinking lots of coffee tomm and swearing I'm quite sure... but it will be fun, I keep telling myself....

Mount the SF600 facing with the fan toward the outside of the case, that way it will intake fresh air. Especially since you are exhausting with the H100, that way it won't be starved for air.

I know the fans on the h105 I used to have were extremely loud, so replacing them would be a good idea.

Mount the SF600 facing with the fan toward the outside of the case, that way it will intake fresh air. Especially since you are exhausting with the H100, that way it won't be starved for air. I know the fans on the h105 I used to have were extremely loud, so replacing them would be a good idea.

"Mount the SF600 facing with the fan toward the outside of the case..." > Sorry, but...meaning, looking at the front of the M1, the right side?

You will be fine. I think the list I posted a short while ago will help, though it's not optimized for a liquid cooling build.

Take your time and plan the order of installation of your major components, thinking about what each one covers up so that you don't cover something (like a fan or SATA connector) that you still need access to. Plan where the power supply and data cables will go and think about which end of a cable will be harder to connect and so connect that end first before it becomes inaccessible. Don't forget the front panel cables!

I will be monitoring this thread for any issues or questions you post.

Thx, appreciate it....now, if someone would just come over tomm and act as my advisor/mentor/on-call Psychiatrist...

This is not a really bad case to build in, even being a m-itx. I have built in much more unforgiving cases where you had to remove several components if you didn't build in the right order. You can get at most things in the m1 even with other parts installed.

Back