NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Hello guys, maybe I missed the post but can somebody confirm that the EVGA FTW Edition fits into the case?

The card is 128 mm tall and the PCI-E power connectors are not recessed so there will only be 12 mm (0.5 inch) for the power cables to attach.

Amr0d

It might be difficult to install, but the real show stopper is the PCIe power connectors. They need at least 15-20mm, and on this card they aren't recessed, leaving only about 11mm. That's barely more than the connectors themselves (leaving no room for the cables). EVGA's PCIe connector relocater doodad might help with that, if it's compatible with this card.

Currently, no, it seems that it will not. Your best bet is just getting a card with the Founder's Edition PCB.

I believe the G1 is also confirmed to fit. EVGA SC and Gigabyte G1 would be the two I'd look at personally. EVGA for warranty, G1 for design.

Regarding macOS (the operating system formerly known as Mac OS X), there may be two issues…

I do not know if nVidia has released new web drivers that include the Pascal chips yet…

I keep reading conflicting reports regarding NVMe SSDs being used as a boot drive at this time…

But hopefully these few issues will be worked out soon…!

Hackintosh Power…!!! ;^p

I love macOS but with actual Apple strategy over hardware, hackintosh is the only good option these days...

About the NVMe SSd, I'd use it for Windows. The macOS would run on a normal SSD. Should it work?

And I really don't worry if I have to wait a couple months before pascal support for hackintosh. I'm buying the 1080 to play games under Windows anyway.

Cheers!

I just got my M1 and am wondering what motherboard you guys recommend. I'm torn between the Gigabyte GA-Z170N Gaming 5, Asus Z170i Gaming Pro and the Asrock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170.

What do you guys like?

I love macOS but with actual Apple strategy over hardware, hackintosh is the only good option these days...

About the NVMe SSd, I'd use it for Windows. The macOS would run on a normal SSD. Should it work?

And I really don't worry if I have to wait a couple months before pascal support for hackintosh. I'm buying the 1080 to play games under Windows anyway.

Cheers!

I tried OS X on my Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5 + Geforce 1080 combo. Installation was a pain, make sure you have a USB 2.0 USB drive because the installer will crash if you use a 3.0 one. No drivers for the Geforce 1080 so you have to run it unaccelerated and I could not even increase the resolution. Audio didn't work either, though it did for other people so I don't know what the problem is.

I wiped the drive and will try again once the Geforce 1080 drivers come out (if they do at all)

DersTheSwede,
Do you mind putting together a parts list? I'm thinking of building a very similar setup and was wondering what kind of motherboard and exactly what kind of fans you're using. Thanks!

Thanks Bijiont! I've been running Heaven benchmark on loop, and GPU temp stabilized at 73c.

9p0wWo4.png

This is my airflow layout. Pardon the poor picture. x2 120mm Silencio fans on the bottom. Double Noctua Redux on NH-U9S and exhaust. This is with poor cabling so far, and no fan profiles.

WXhPcqA.jpg

Asus z170I pro gaming owners, what kind of motherboard temps are you seeing. Right now I'm running an undervolted 6700k (1.12v), memory that has been manually set to xmp settings (3.5 v), and no gpu. I have the cpu on an h75 as intake. Gpu temps are great when using the rog bench utility. Cpu idles 29 load at 65. Mobo temp idles at 40ish and ends up in the 60s after benching

This seems abnormally high, anyone else see temps like this?

Asus z170I pro gaming owners, what kind of motherboard temps are you seeing. Right now I'm running an undervolted 6700k (1.12v), memory that has been manually set to xmp settings (3.5 v), and no gpu. I have the cpu on an h75 as intake. Gpu temps are great when using the rog bench utility. Cpu idles 29 load at 65. Mobo temp idles at 40ish and ends up in the 60s after benching

I am running the same board and haven't had issues with temps on either motherboard or CPU. I am running a Noctua NH-C14 on my CPU which has been overclocked currently running with 1.20v.

Are your temps being pulled from the bench utility? Have you tried any other temp monitoring tool?

Cheers!

I would definitely do some searches & reading over on tonymacx86.com; see what you need to do for a dual boot situation…

Same for the 1080, check what needs done right now for that; I have read some accounts of folks having 2 GPUs in their system, one for Mac & the 1070/1080 for Windows, but they have to use a monitor switcher (KVM?) to avoid having to physically pulling the 1070/1080 to boot into OS X…?

The joys of the Hackintosh…

I see the motherboard temps at idle from the uefi. All the other temps i see from hwinfo. What is your motherboard/cpu temp at load?

The last stress test which I did was MOBO - 34°C and CPU 51°C however keep in mind my system is in a basement which the ambient is 64°F (17°C). I am also waiting on a 1080 card so the test was done with my previous 780TI I had laying around.

Still haven't seen any real confirmation whether these will fit the M1 or not:

MSI GTX 1070/1080 Armor
MSI GTX 1070/1080 Gaming X

Anyone?

Still haven't seen any real confirmation whether these will fit the M1 or not:

MSI GTX 1070/1080 Armor
MSI GTX 1070/1080 Gaming X

Anyone?

Both the Armor and Gaming X cards are 140 mm tall (wide?) which is the limit for the M1. However, their PCI-E power connectors are flush with the very top of their PCBs so there is no room at all for the power cables and connectors in the M1. It's too bad the connectors are not recessed on those PCBs.

DersTheSwede,
Do you mind putting together a parts list? I'm thinking of building a very similar setup and was wondering what kind of motherboard and exactly what kind of fans you're using. Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: *Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM 37.9 CFM 92mm Fan
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-SFNL-24PK-R1 38.0 CFM 120mm Fan
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Other: Ncase M1 V5
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-24 16:57 EDT-0400

I have been doing overclock testing, and I got the i5 up to 4.5Ghz at 1.28v. Temps under load stay in the mid-70c range, but I have seen a short spike up to 80c. A little high. I am going to see how much I can walk down the voltage. Still tweaking to find a comfortable max point.

I went with the NH-U9S as I wanted to keep one side bracket open for future upgrades, and with a open GPU dumping air into the case, I wanted an airflow that blew air out instead of down at the board. (Board never gets over 50c) It seemed capable of a decent overclock. So far so good I think. But if you really want to push the edge of overclocking I would recommend a beefier solution.

My 1080 also came clocked at 1880/1970Mhz boost, higher than the newegg clock listing. But unfortunately when I tried to push it to 2Ghz core the driver crashed.

Asus has a very nice fan profiler, so it runs virtually silent at idle. GPU fans do not spin at idle and max temp after a few hours of Witcher 3 was 75c. I've seen it debated whether the bottom fans do anything. I did not test without the fans, but with a big GPU like this spitting air into the case I would recommend high static pressure fans. A few extra C's would put it close to thermal max.

I went with Asus over the ASRock as it seemed there were QA issues with that board. Not sure if that is founded or not. There are 3 fan headers, so I also go x2 PWM splitters.

The Redux's were my one conceit to looks. Perhaps questionable over the NF-A9. However, they have performed well. If I went with the NF-A9 I was going to use the low noise adapter, which would put the RPM's at roughly the same with the Redux. Spun up you definitely hear them, but anything else they run very quiet. They do have a much longer cable than the NF-A9 which makes things a little more challenging.

Here's another picture running Witcher 3 with Precision running along with the ASUS fan curves. Note it appears to understate CPU temp so I set curves accordingly.

http://i.imgur.com/FFbyjSi.png

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: *Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Other: Ncase M1 V5
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-24 16:57 EDT-0400

I have been doing overclock testing, and I got the i5 up to 4.5Ghz at 1.28v. Temps under load stay in the mid-70c range, but I have seen a short spike up to 80c. A little high. I am going to see how much I can walk down the voltage. Still tweaking to find a comfortable max point.

I went with the NH-U9S as I wanted to keep one side bracket open for future upgrades, and with a open GPU dumping air into the case, I wanted an airflow that blew air out instead of down at the board. (Board never gets over 50c) It seemed capable of a decent overclock. So far so good I think. But if you really want to push the edge of overclocking I would recommend a beefier solution.

My 1080 also came clocked at 1880/1970Mhz boost, higher than the newegg clock listing. But unfortunately when I tried to push it to 2Ghz core the driver crashed.

Asus has a very nice fan profiler, so it runs virtually silent at idle. GPU fans do not spin at idle and max temp after a few hours of Witcher 3 was 75c. I've seen it debated whether the bottom fans do anything. I did not test without the fans, but with a big GPU like this spitting air into the case I would recommend high static pressure fans. A few extra C's would put it close to thermal max.

I went with Asus over the ASRock as it seemed there were QA issues with that board. Not sure if that is founded or not. There are 3 fan headers, so I also go x2 PWM splitters.

The Redux's were my one conceit to looks. Perhaps questionable over the NF-A9. However, they have performed well. If I went with the NF-A9 I was going to use the low noise adapter, which would put the RPM's at roughly the same with the Redux. Spun up you definitely hear them, but anything else they run very quiet. They do have a much longer cable than the NF-A9 which makes things a little more challenging.

Here's another picture running Witcher 3 with Precision running along with the ASUS fan curves. Note it appears to understate CPU temp so I set curves accordingly.

http://i.imgur.com/FFbyjSi.png
If you don't mind me asking, how loud does the card get under load? I just got my build together which is basically the same as yours, except I went with an ASUS 1080 FE and the thing is pretty loud. With a 1:1 fan curve I'm still going up to 82 degrees and throttling at stock clocks, so it is much worse than I was reading in the reviews as I am getting throttling even with the agressive curve. Although all of these temps are running Heaven benchmark, I haven't done any real gaming yet. I am thinking about returning it and picking up the same card as you. Thanks!

Last edited:

I am getting similar mobo temps on mine. High 30s idle 60 or so load. Some of my mobo sensors read 30 but SYSTIN and I think TMPIN 3 read around 60. I think this is fairly normal as those are sensors around the vrm if I understand correctly.

Last edited:
Can any UK buyers share their experience of customs clearance? My case has been with them since the 16th June - and there doesn't seem to be any process for chasing it. Mine is coming via TW air and Parcelforce, the customs depot is in Coventry.

Well in my country, Denmark mine Werge stuck there in 10 days i had to Call Them 4-5 times before They made Any progress on the clearance... I called them as soon i saw it were landed in my country...

Can any UK buyers share their experience of customs clearance? My case has been with them since the 16th June - and there doesn't seem to be any process for chasing it. Mine is coming via TW air and Parcelforce, the customs depot is in Coventry.

Here's my tracking information, using Parcelforce and TW AIR 1, should be a good estimate of how long it takes:

8/6/2016 9:04 Newport Depot Delivered
8/6/2016 6:58 Newport Depot Out for delivery
8/6/2016 5:27 Newport Depot Prepared for delivery
7/6/2016 16:53 Newport Depot Delivery scheduled
4/6/2016 8:47 Newport Depot Awaiting payment of customs charges
3/6/2016 23:51 Newport Depot Received at delivery depot
3/6/2016 13:14 National Hub Sorted
3/6/2016 6:43 International Hub Revised Customs charges raised
2/6/2016 13:38 International Hub Customs charges raised
2/6/2016 8:56 International Hub Awaiting Customs clearance
2/6/2016 8:40 International Hub Arrived in the UK
27/5/2016 8:08 TAIPEI INT AMF Despatched to the UK

If you don't mind me asking, how loud does the card get under load? I just got my build together which is basically the same as yours, except I went with an ASUS 1080 FE and the thing is pretty loud. With a 1:1 fan curve I'm still going up to 82 degrees and throttling at stock clocks, so it is much worse than I was reading in the reviews as I am getting throttling even with the aggressive curve. Although all of these temps are running Heaven benchmark, I haven't done any real gaming yet. I am thinking about returning it and picking up the same card as you. Thanks!

I cannot distinguish its noise from the system fans under load. It is very quiet. However, it does have coil whine unfortunately. It's moderate and intermittent, but it is there.

I cannot distinguish its noise from the system fans under load. It is very quiet. However, it does have coil whine unfortunately. It's moderate and intermittent, but it is there.
Thank you! I just returned the ASUS FE card. I continued to mess with the settings and the best I got was a stable 79 degrees at 80% fan speed with all stock settings. I wouldn't mind that temp but at 80% the fan was very loud (at least for me). Now it's back to the waiting game for a card to come in stock in Canada :)

ocz pcie 3.0, M.2 - Newegg.com New line of PCI 3.0 X 4 M.2 SSDs out from OCZ, capacity from 128GB to 1TB. I know OCZ got a bad reputation but they have gotten much better since Toshiba took them over. Gives you more options than just the Samsung 950 Pro.

Just an FYI, ASUS Strix 1080 fits in this case, removed the front panel and had to use a little pressure to squeeze it through and was able to get the input side of the card in

Attachments

• 2016-06-25 18.33.12.jpg
    2016-06-25 18.33.12.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 638
Reactions: Amr0d
like this
Just an FYI, ASUS Strix 1080 fits in this case, removed the front panel and had to use a little pressure to squeeze it through and was able to get the input side of the card in

Wow that is snug, do the pci connectors fit without hitting the side panel?

Wow that is snug, do the pci connectors fit without hitting the side panel?

once you squeeze it in nothing is touch the case, i'm even able to use the case fan connectors on the end of the card (using those for the bottom fans)

Well, i have been thinking, that watercooling the reference FE card with EKWB Announces GTX 1080 Full-Cover Water Block in Four Different Variants - TechFrag and combining it with swiftech h220x2 for cpu and gpu cooling in single loop? It should work and have enough power to cool both components?

I would love to have been able to do that, I had a H220-X in my last build. They are too thick, 115mm to the bottom of the pump. You only have 85mm to the PSU bracket.

well, as i am still thinking of purchasing M1, i can not say for sure, but looking the pictures of h220x and the case iself, wont the reservoir be on the area, where you will normally have CPU air cooler, that has more space?

The capability sheet lists both the 220-X and the 220-X2 as not compatible due to height. You only have about 100mm to where the top of the cpu block would be, not nearly enough room.

Tight indeed. The length is listed by Asus as 298 mm which exceeds the limit of 292 mm listed on www.ncases.com. The width is 134 mm, close to the limit of 140 mm, but because Asus recessed the PCI-E power sockets on the card, there is enough room for the power cables and connectors.

Yeah I was looking at the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X, sweet looking card. 5.51 inches so it should have just fit, only problem is the pci connectors are on the edge of the card. :(

The Corsair H105 was kind of a pain to install in my NCASE m1 x99 build. Do any of you guys know if its OK for the water tubes of the AIO H105 to be touching the radiator fins inside the case? I've seen some people use fan grills on the radiator? Obviously when I screw everything down, the curled tubes are making contact with the radiator fins and probably some PSU cables inside the case aswell.

L84wx8C.jpg

WlbxIWS.jpg

Back