NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

75c is pretty hot for a CPU but not 'danger' hot, are you overclocking? What's your cpu cooler look like? Did you apply the correct thermal paste to the heat sink? etc etc.

Its the Asetek 545lc AIO 90mm Liquid Cooler. I used the already applied paste it came with. I wasn't expecting stellar temps but figured considering the M1 case good enough would please me.

Its the Asetek 545lc AIO 90mm Liquid Cooler. I used the already applied paste it came with. I wasn't expecting stellar temps but figured considering the M1 case good enough would please me.

I agree, I also have that cooler and my temps are around 50c underload I took off the included paste and put my own.

Anyone know what the max high load temp for a 6700k is? I been looking around google and I hear 80c, 85c, and 90c, but no definitive answer. Many saying don't go over 90c. My stress testing so far shows 69c -75c across the four cores using latest P95 and that seems to be what most others have been getting on their 6700k for max load. This info from googling around the net. Its looking fairly good so far I think.

When it throttles, it's too hot.

Sort of kidding, but don't worry until at least low 80s. Intel's Tcase for a 6700K is just 64 C compared to 74 C for Devil's Canyon so maybe don't push it as far as us Haswell guys do. It's impossible to say for anyone but Intel, there's no way to know for sure, definitely, 100% until they've been in use for years (in other words, until they are outdated).

I would feel super comfortable at 75 C during AVX stress testing which the latest P95 is. That is some very decent cooling. Here is mine under AVX stress testing:

Last edited:
M3. All the threaded holes on the chassis itself are M3. The only exception is the 3.5" HDD cage, which uses M4. All other screw sizes are for components that don't come with the case (PSU, fans, ODD).
Thank you so much! Had one of my PCI bracket holes strip out on me. Been looking everywhere, I got some longer black M4 with nuts for other parts but could not locate something smaller to size by.

Great, I'll do so with my v5 then (once I have bought a PSU...)

Decided to not use the 140mm fans that were packaged with my heatsink (as they are not PWM) and instead bought a pair of Noctua NF-P12 PWM 120mm fans and installed them on the fan bracket. I also have the 120mm PWM fan on the bottom position of the cooler. All 3 connected to my CPU fan header. The Asus motherboard drops the RPM to circa 240 rpm at minimal load - the quietest PC I can remember building!

Of course, that could well change as and when I invest in a discrete graphics card....

Just used the UJ-265 optical drive for the first time since I mounted it on the M1 - dear god, what a racket as a result of the vibration! Has anyone managed to reduce the optical drive vibration transmission? There's no tolerence to insert dampening materil between the drive and case....

Finally a proud owner of one of these case!! Was able to get a black one (v4) in perfect condition and i'm psyched to get started! I'm about to order the corsair sf 600 PSU, but I really can't make up my mind about the cooler.

I'm looking for a quiet CPU cooler and was wondering what would be my best option. I think in general the AIO coolers cool better, but make more noise. The coolers I was looking into are the Noctua NH-D9L and NH-U9S, and the Be quiet! Dark Rock TF. On the website a topdown cooler is recommended and my preference on looks is also leaning towards the Dark Rock tf. After more then 400 pages in this thread, is there a general opinion about the performance of these coolers? I'm also very curious how outtake of warm air in the case would work with a top down cooler.

Let me know what you guys think!

just a heads up... if anyone is interested I'm selling my black M1 (v1). check the classifieds!

Finally a proud owner of one of these case!! Was able to get a black one (v4) in perfect condition and i'm psyched to get started! I'm about to order the corsair sf 600 PSU, but I really can't make up my mind about the cooler.

I'm looking for a quiet CPU cooler and was wondering what would be my best option. I think in general the AIO coolers cool better, but make more noise. The coolers I was looking into are the Noctua NH-D9L and NH-U9S, and the Be quiet! Dark Rock TF. On the website a topdown cooler is recommended and my preference on looks is also leaning towards the Dark Rock tf. After more then 400 pages in this thread, is there a general opinion about the performance of these coolers? I'm also very curious how outtake of warm air in the case would work with a top down cooler.

Let me know what you guys think!

Its going to also depend on the mobo you choose since not every cooler works with every mobo. Also there is the debate of whether to keep the hard drive cage or not. Some hsf units allow keeping it and some don't. There are trade offs when choosing a CPU cooler and this case. Generally speaking right now as far as regular air cooling goes the NH-C14 (original) is still the best. (it has been discontinued and stock is drying up fast).There are some good alternatives if you cant get your hands on one or want to keep the hdd cage. The other three popular ones you have already mentioned. They are probably very close in performance.

As far as AIO units go there is a wide selection to choose from. All you have to do is look at the lists in the Excel sheet. Some are easy to install and some are not due to thick tubing. Recently the Asetek 545lc has been proven to work with the Asus Maximus VIII Impact mobo and the AsRock X99E mobo inside the M1. That is not yet listed in the spread sheet as far as I know. I need to update my part of it anyway. If you want extreme overclocking then look at full water cooling system with the water blocks and so forth.

So basically you need to decide what cpu/mobo combo you want. What features inside the M1 case you want to utilize and then make a choice.

Another good air cooler is the Scythe Kabuto II. Also, I believe the Dark Rock TF heatsink fits in a limited number of orientations depending on CPU socket position and may overlap the PCI-E slot on some motherboards.

Its going to also depend on the mobo you choose since not every cooler works with every mobo. Also there is the debate of whether to keep the hard drive cage or not. Some hsf units allow keeping it and some don't. There are trade offs when choosing a CPU cooler and this case. Generally speaking right now as far as regular air cooling goes the NH-C14 (original) is still the best. (it has been discontinued and stock is drying up fast).There are some good alternatives if you cant get your hands on one or want to keep the hdd cage. The other three popular ones you have already mentioned. They are probably very close in performance.

As far as AIO units go there is a wide selection to choose from. All you have to do is look at the lists in the Excel sheet. Some are easy to install and some are not due to thick tubing. Recently the Asetek 545lc has been proven to work with the Asus Maximus VIII Impact mobo and the AsRock X99E mobo inside the M1. That is not yet listed in the spread sheet as far as I know. I need to update my part of it anyway. If you want extreme overclocking then look at full water cooling system with the water blocks and so forth.

So basically you need to decide what cpu/mobo combo you want. What features inside the M1 case you want to utilize and then make a choice.

Another good air cooler is the Scythe Kabuto II. Also, I believe the Dark Rock TF heatsink fits in a limited number of orientations depending on CPU socket position and may overlap the PCI-E slot on some motherboards.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Good to hear the Dark Rock tf is a good cpu cooler! I know the noctua's are almost always good in general, but I've never liked the looks of them. Like you guys are also saying, I read that the Dark Rock tf is not compatible with all mobo's. Do you might happen to know if the cooler is compatible with the following mobo 'Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe'. I'm worried because this specific mobo has that extra vertical PCB, see pics.

ASUS-P8Z77-I-DELUXE-Motherboard.jpg

Edit, just found this old reply! Maybe you could also reply how this turned out? Did the cooler fit, yes or no :)?

Using measurements from the dimensions PDF, and from reviews I did some sketchup and mocked the Dark Rock TF up on someone's model of a P8Z77I-deluxe:

Mehedf9.jpg

DVcxvEy.jpg

I'll post the model once I get the base modeled in.

From what I'm seeing so far I'm fairly certain it'll fit on the P8Z77I and Impact, unless the heatpipes foul something.

Edit:

The fan model and motherboard model were done by other people.

Any1 know if the alphacool/cooler Master eisberg CPU/pump/res combo Would fit in this case? With standard 25mm fans and ek slim Rads (26mm) om the side bracket?

Hey guys. Another day, another thoughts about ncase.
Today im owner the cougar qbx with this spec:
Asus z170i PG
i7-6700k
Samsung 950 Pro 500gb
Trident Z 2x8Gb 3200 CL16
Dark Rock TF
G1 Gtx 970
SX500-LG
zDeco's Completed Build - Intel Core i7-6700K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 - PCPartPicker

Im gonna move this to Ncase M1 with some changes:
Asus z170i PG ( i hope asus will made impact ix with m.2 :D )
i7-6700k (delidded, take [email protected])
Samsung 950 Pro or (if i will sell it) samsung 850 evo 500Gb m.2
Trident Z 2x16 Gb 3000 CL14 (and overclock it to 3400 CL15)
Gtx 1080
Corsair SF600 ( idk )
Nh-c14 (?? idk too)

Some questions about cooling and psu.
1). Are SF600 quiter Sx-500Lg? Actually need quitest SFX / SFX-L psu.
2). As i understand nh-c14 best air cooler for ncase m1? Any opinions about Air/Aio ? Any another suggestions about air cooler? ( cause now i cant find nh-c14 in sale :( )
Mb in future will move it to custom water, but not now
3). As i understand all my "new build" will ez fit in ncase m1, am i right?

P.s. Sry for my eng

Last edited:
Aibohphobia did a comparison here.

As far as the CPU cooler goes, I'd just try your Dark Rock TF first. It's around the same size as the NH-C14, so performance probably isn't too different.

Hey guys. Another day, another thoughts about ncase.
Today im owner the cougar qbx with this spec:
Asus z170i PG
i7-6700k
Samsung 950 Pro 500gb
Trident Z 2x8Gb 3200 CL16
Dark Rock TF
G1 Gtx 970
SX500-LG
zDeco's Completed Build - Intel Core i7-6700K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 - PCPartPicker

Im gonna move this to Ncase M1 with some changes:
Asus z170i PG ( i hope asus will made impact ix with m.2 :D )
i7-6700k (delidded, take [email protected])
Samsung 950 Pro or (if i will sell it) samsung 850 evo 500Gb m.2
Trident Z 2x16 Gb 3000 CL14 (and overclock it to 3400 CL15)
Gtx 1080
Corsair SF600 ( idk )
Nh-c14 (?? idk too)

Some questions about cooling and psu.
2). As i understand nh-c14 best air cooler for ncase m1? Any opinions about Air/Aio ? Any another suggestions about air cooler? ( cause now i cant find nh-c14 in sale :( )
Mb in future will move it to custom water, but not now
3). As i understand all my "new build" will ez fit in ncase m1, am i right?

P.s. Sry for my eng

On this page and last page I and others have mentioned what is a good alternative to the original NH-C14. Choose one of those based on what mobo you want and whether you want to utilize the M1's hard drive cage and other internal features. They should all work well for you. As for AIO units there are a number of them that can and will work but they can be harder to get installed usually due to stiff tubing. Just look at the Excel sheet on first page as to what people have used. As for psu I'd say right now the top dog is the new Corsair SW600w unit but that link Necere provided above was interesting. You could wait for the newer 700w but even if its better do you really need that much psu? 600w should be more than plenty for any hard core rig with a single GPU in it. Even with everything overclocked. That is just my own opinion though. Others may agree/disagree.

Aibohphobia did a comparison here.

As far as the CPU cooler goes, I'd just try your Dark Rock TF first. It's around the same size as the NH-C14, so performance
probably isn't too different.
Thx for link. Will take sf600.
About Dark rock tf
Fitst of all dark rock tf+z170i pg not perfect fit. TF touch radiator of motherboard.
Second, dark rock tf hit ddr4 with radiators. As i saw smb allready say it.
And else dark rock tf fit on asus z170i pg only in 1 position (like on my build) and in this position this cooler too high(idk how say it actually) and i think it will be hit high part of ncase m1 ( i hope u inderstand me :D )
So, what u can say about bottom and rear fans? Noctua 120mm ? Or at bottom i can fit some 140?

Nh-c14 with 120mm bottom fan fit with trident z?
Anyway im allready buy it at local forum for 30$ :D

Last edited:
Thx for link. Will take sf600.
About Dark rock tf
Fitst of all dark rock tf+z170i pg not perfect fit. TF touch radiator of motherboard.
Second, dark rock tf hit ddr4 with radiators. As i saw smb allready say it.
And else dark rock tf fit on asus z170i pg only in 1 position (like on my build) and in this position this cooler too high(idk how say it actually) and i think it will be hit high part of ncase m1 ( i hope u inderstand me :D )
So, what u can say about bottom and rear fans? Noctua 120mm ? Or at bottom i can fit some 140?

Nh-c14 with 120mm bottom fan fit with trident z?
Anyway im allready buy it at local forum for 30$ :D
http://i.imgur.com/9fWedF2.jpg This is a pic of my system with Vengeance LPX installed and a 120mm bottom fan. I left it huge so you can see how small the clearance is there.

This ram is 31mm in height while Trident Z is 44 mm so I am not sure it will fit easily under there but worst case scenario you can get a thinner profile fan I guess.

Edit: Also, you need to do 120mm on the bottom fan of the NH-C14 because the 140mm it comes with will not fit with the SF600 (or any SFX) PSU

Hi I was hoping someone with a NH-U9S could help me out. How well does this cooler perform in the M1 and what would be the ideal fan placement? I'm using a locked 4590 so I'm sure it'll be fine but I'm curious how it will deal with the heat rising from the GPU.

http://i.imgur.com/9fWedF2.jpg This is a pic of my system with Vengeance LPX installed and a 120mm bottom fan. I left it huge so you can see how small the clearance is there.

This ram is 31mm in height while Trident Z is 44 mm so I am not sure it will fit easily under there but worst case scenario you can get a thinner profile fan I guess.

Edit: Also, you need to do 120mm on the bottom fan of the NH-C14 because the 140mm it comes with will not fit with the SF600 (or any SFX) PSU
Thx for answer. I know about 140mm bottom fan dont fit and allready have 1 ippc 120mm. But as i can see it willnt fit with trident z. Anyway will see.
Trident z+dark rock tf fit with bottom fan

Here's a sneak peek at my MSI GTX 970 with an Accelero Xtreme III:

May I ask how much room there is between the fans and the Accelero? I have ordered one myself and NB eloop 140mm fans which are 29mm high and now I am concerened if it will fit.

I'm not at home so I can't measure, but the fans do slide around freely underneath the heatsink. I believe it is actually resting on the front IO panel. If you look at the PCIe bracket, you can see that I did not screw the card in so I can raise it about 2 mm at the back and then you also have to account for sagging. It's very, very close but I think you could do it.

I would be more concerned about fitting dual 140 mm fans in the bottom of the case.

EDIT: Can confirm already though, the cooling is excellent.

Last edited:
May I ask how much room there is between the fans and the Accelero? I have ordered one myself and NB eloop 140mm fans which are 29mm high and now I am concerened if it will fit.

Here' a pic of my old setup with 25mm Noiseblockers under an Accelero. It's a pretty tight fit - I think you might have trouble with the higher 140s.

Ncase%20M1%20-4.jpg

EDIT: I just saw that replacement power cables can be ordered from ncase. I suppose that will be step one then, just hope it doesn't take too long to get here. Still unfortunate to have to buy a new one, but less dire I suppose.

Pure sadness today: Got my V5 in January and finally finished getting all my pieces together for my build. Put it all together this week, only to discover that the internal PSU extension cable doesn't work.

Before putting everything in, I tested the mobo, psu, cpu, and ram to make sure it posted, and all good. Then when I finished installed everything in the case and went to boot, nothing. I was particularly confused because I didn't even sense any electricity going through the PSU. I tried a bunch of different power outlets and then resigned myself to taking everything apart again to see if I missed anything, or even trying an old PSU to see if I'd shorted it somehow.

Before I did that, I instead tried connecting the power cable directly from the power bar to the PSU, bypassing the extension cable, and lo and behold, it booted.

Has anyone else had this issue? The extension cable is fastened to the inside of the case, so I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. :(

Wasnt expecting to get another ncase, but I couldnt pass up this unit for sale. A perfect second project case.

This was a version 3 case in silver with no ODD. I'm planning to paint / powdercoat the exterior panels white. Since I have a silver one already and seeing mostly silver/black builds decided to make some changes to this case. Plan is to do air cooling for now to see how quiet I can get it and then maybe a custom water loop later.

BDE3BF5E-C0E7-4EA9-B228-9BE3145D74A5_zpsbfpwycf0.jpg

V5 on left and V3 on left ... interesting to see the small changes they made from revisions.

5484FDC9-A2B6-49B4-811C-C1E31C77C7DD_zpsceq3ssh3.jpg

EDIT: I just saw that replacement power cables can be ordered from ncase. I suppose that will be step one then, just hope it doesn't take too long to get here. Still unfortunate to have to buy a new one, but less dire I suppose.

Pure sadness today: Got my V5 in January and finally finished getting all my pieces together for my build. Put it all together this week, only to discover that the internal PSU extension cable doesn't work.

Before putting everything in, I tested the mobo, psu, cpu, and ram to make sure it posted, and all good. Then when I finished installed everything in the case and went to boot, nothing. I was particularly confused because I didn't even sense any electricity going through the PSU. I tried a bunch of different power outlets and then resigned myself to taking everything apart again to see if I missed anything, or even trying an old PSU to see if I'd shorted it somehow.

Before I did that, I instead tried connecting the power cable directly from the power bar to the PSU, bypassing the extension cable, and lo and behold, it booted.

Has anyone else had this issue? The extension cable is fastened to the inside of the case, so I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. :(
Unfortunately it seems that the previous run of V5 cases have had an unusually high rate of bad power cables. Go ahead and use the contact form on the website as Aiboh suggested and w360 will see about sending you a replacement.

Thanks. That sucks. I noticed the screw for the little 2.5" HDD bracket pushes into my PSU.
Are you using dome head M3s? The countersunk ones that come with the case shouldn't touch the PSU.

Unfortunately it seems that the previous run of V5 cases have had an unusually high rate of bad power cables. Go ahead and use the contact form on the website as Aiboh suggested and w360 will see about sending you a replacement.

Are you using dome head M3s? The countersunk ones that come with the case shouldn't touch the PSU.
I'm using the countersunk ones. I'll try to take a pic of it.

For anybody interested who's in the EU, I'm selling my Scythe Kabuto II cooler. It's in excellent condition.

Thanks Necere/Aiboh, sent the same message via the customer support form.

Between 1&2 MM. if you are using 25mm high fans attached directly to the chassis.

Your 29mm fan may just wiggle in at the front of the case, as there is a little more 'bend' but I seriously doubt it will at the rear. Would love to see them fit though :)

Nox

Between 1&2 MM. if you are using 25mm high fans attached directly to the chassis.

Your 29mm fan may just wiggle in at the front of the case, as there is a little more 'bend' but I seriously doubt it will at the rear. Would love to see them fit though :)

Nox

Thanks for measuring. I am still waiting for the CPU heatsink to be delivered, so I did not take my machine apart yet, but I think there are around 60mm clearance between GPU and case bottom. And just laying the 29mm fan under the Accelero on the desk brings me to a height of 64mm. I don't think this will fit. Most probably I will have to go with the 120mm eLoop fans, which I use now on the radiator. At the end, it is questionable if 140mm fans would give an advantage, because the bottom cutouts of the case are limited.

I have all the parts now at home and have taken my machine apart. I'm in the process of installing the Accelero Xtreme III, but I am kind of stuck. I can't think of a good way to place the little heatsinks on the GPU. I know that the Accelero III was not meant to be used with an GTX Titan X, but I thought it wouldn't be a problem. I have seen a video on Youtube, where someone installed it on a GTX 780. Now I have a problem explaining, because I don't know for sure how the components are called. There is (1) mid-high black rectangles on the left, (2) high silver round-edged things in the middle and (3) flat black squares on the right. The huge and long heatsinks do have a stair-shaped bottom, so I guess they are meant to cover (1) and (3). On the 780 PCB they are next to each other. On the Titan X PCB there is (2) in between, so I can't place them like that. I could use a combination of the smaller heatsinks, but will they provide enough cooling? And there is this insulation tape. By the drawing in the manual I can't really figure out where to place it and what components are potentially endangered to be shortened out.

Sorry for asking the noob questions, and it is kind of off-topic, I know, but maybe someone here has had the same problem or can help me anyway?
Thanks a lot in advance.

thumb_IMG_2626_1024.jpg

The insulation tape probably shouldn't be necessary, it's just a precaution. The components that need cooling are typically taller than the rest.

I can't tell if (1) or (3) are the MOSFETs. You should look at the stock heatsink and see where its thermal pads line up.

(2), which are inductors, do not need cooling, but if you have room, it might still help the surrounding components because they can get very hot.

Edit: I don't know what the stock Titan heatsink is like, but you might be able to reuse part of it to cool the MOSFETs. I did not use the Arctic heatsinks for my card, I left the MSI heatsinks because they look bigger and are mounted with screws instead of glue.

I have all the parts now at home and have taken my machine apart. I'm in the process of installing the Accelero Xtreme III, but I am kind of stuck. I can't think of a good way to place the little heatsinks on the GPU. I know that the Accelero III was not meant to be used with an GTX Titan X, but I thought it wouldn't be a problem. I have seen a video on Youtube, where someone installed it on a GTX 780. Now I have a problem explaining, because I don't know for sure how the components are called. There is (1) mid-high black rectangles on the left, (2) high silver round-edged things in the middle and (3) flat black squares on the right. The huge and long heatsinks do have a stair-shaped bottom, so I guess they are meant to cover (1) and (3). On the 780 PCB they are next to each other. On the Titan X PCB there is (2) in between, so I can't place them like that. I could use a combination of the smaller heatsinks, but will they provide enough cooling? And there is this insulation tape. By the drawing in the manual I can't really figure out where to place it and what components are potentially endangered to be shortened out.

Sorry for asking the noob questions, and it is kind of off-topic, I know, but maybe someone here has had the same problem or can help me anyway?
Thanks a lot in advance.

I had an Accelero on my old Titan-X.

I used some old heatsink from a Thermalright cooler and not the Accelero ones, but if you take a look at my post a few up you can see the other row I placed them on - the black chips to the right of the "silver squares" on your pic.

If you're worried, have a look at a waterblock manual (EK, AC etc) to see what they place the thermal pads on.

Hope this helps :)

Back