NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Yeah, at this point it's still yet to be determined.

If my opinion would matter, I'd like to see the Ncase LRPC being realised first and maybe with the (potentially) new manufacturer and experience in design, design the Ncase M1 Evo (or whateves) with better support for SFX-L (they are much better in noise and heat regards) which wouldn't be possible without a redesign that will break compatibility with the original M1. I would expect there would be even more new ideas to incorporate for the hardware of 2015 and 2016.

Oh yes, I'd also like an Apple-style manufacturing video of Necere explaining the process of making the Ncase in a 5 minute long video showing slow motion footage of machinery cutting, chamfering and polishing the new Ncase. Go viral yo !

^^ Interesting thought, but it would really be a shame for the guys to have to entirely re-design the entire case only because Silverstone is unable to create an acceptable SFX with an unoffensive sounding fan. An entire re-working of the M1 just to accommodate one single component that only needs just a few more millimeters for better fitment when used with full-length GPU cards seems a little unreasonable. I'm thinking the current workarounds (dropping the GPU down one slot and using a riser; Aiboh's PSU bracket design; and cramming/cable mods) are a little more practical.

Dunno. I'd much rather see someone take up the task of crowdfunding a no-compromise SFX with top-tier components, while the M1 sticks to only minor revisions/improvements for another batch or two. Not sure if either will ever happen, but that's my pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking :)

The difference is that it seems much easier for Necere to do minor adjustments to the Ncase M1 to allow the easily available multi-brand SFX-L format. There's a world of difference in designing, manufacturing, selling and supporting a case opposed to an electrical device connected to the mains. Suddenly certifications and regulations come into play. Sure, the OEM might be able to help with that, but at what price ? Lets not forget Ncase is a 2-man project without massive budget and time.

This SFX-L OEM PSU that Silverstone, Scythe, Chieftec and many others are currently using is also a good performing PSU available in most parts of the world at a good price and supports 500W without sounding like a coffee grinder. Silverstone just ruined theirs with the semi-crappy feature. The "lesser" quality components is a non-issue since no one can provide any real researched evidence that the good quality Taiwanese or Chinese caps are worse in any regard. We're talking about very long lasting life on these components, but most that care will be replacing the PSU with anything better as soon as possible anyway.

The Sharkoon SFX-L PSU I have is the most quiet PSU I've ever had. I haven't even heard the slightest coil whine. Combined with the three years warranty I get with it, I'm not worried.

To be clear, I did not mean a complete redesign that changes every aspect. But to allow the cables on an SFX-L to sit comfortably with a long GPU, I'd guess about 10mm of extra space needs to be found. This can be achieved in more than one way ofcourse, but I can't think of one that won't require shifting the motherboard + slots down or the PSU area (and top of the case) up.

But I feel that the SFX-L has a strong future for SFF since so many brands went along with this model.
It seems unwise to ignore this as a case designer.

Just some silly thinking here, but what if, instead of making the M1 larger and/or shifting the mobo down or the PSU up.. only shift the PSU bracket higher to provide the needed clearance (removing the space needed for the low-profile internal power cable, therefore leaving the power cable sitting above the frame of the M1). And instead of having a flat top panel (which of course, wouldn't work any longer in this scenario), use a folded hollow box-shaped top panel (similar to the front panel) that would both hide the now higher power cable, and perhaps also allow for 120mm exhaust fan/s on the top.

Probably just a dumb idea, but the only thing that would change is the PSU bracket and the top panel (which could be purchased separately and retrofitted to older M1 case versions, if desired). Voila.. M1-L :D

LOL that might actually work :D But I'd hate to see the cable hang out from the top though. Maybe have a special top panel that extends the top all around by about 10mm so everything can be kept as-is but allows a top fan and a modified PSU bracket. I think atleast the PSU bracket would not be a problem, about 10mm higher (with the V3 bracket) would just hit the panel stud retainer thingies so it might just work.

But if the V3 bracket needs a large MOQ, I'd bet a top panel be just as crazy.

EDIT: something like this:

VJw2aU8.png

(added ridge simulated where the panels meet to mimize visual disruption)

Last edited:
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.. nice!

Just not sure how feasible it would be to bend the front lip of the top panel down, so that it matches up with the angles of the front panel.

As far as MOQ, something like this would definitely have to be part of a larger M1 run. The new top panel could either be an option, or a standard M1-L part, with additional panels made for M1 v1, v2, etc.

It's a really neat solution, but I'm sure Necere's thinking "shut up you fools!" :D

it's not a terrible idea, unfortunately I can't see a realistic way of designing it that won't look terrible.

A more radical option would be to sacrifice DTX and triple-slot cooler support and shift the entire motherboard down by 20mm.

Could do a full panel replacement set that gives you an additional 10mm vertically on the sides, and use 10mm spacers for the mounting balls for the top panel top panel would be nice and floppy though without multiple support points. This would represent a minimum new parts list of;
- All Panels
- New PSU Bracket.

Alternatively, by dropping the innards down one slot, you need a minimum of.
- New Chassis.

Don't know which is cheaper… but at least they will look as neat as the case was intended to be.

A folded top simply won't look as neat as it should. Well not in any way that I can see it being done economically.

it's not a terrible idea, unfortunately I can't see a realistic way of designing it that won't look terrible.

Delrin or Acetal ? It's machineable and looks an awful lot like aluminium (without brushed texture), we'd just need the ring, the piece sandwiched between the top-panel and chassis, with cutouts for the push pin clips and new push pins screwed in ?

I know it's not going to happen but it's nice to brainstorm about it. Keeps my grey matter from becoming sawdust :D

Does anyone know if the angled power cables need to be shipped out from Taiwan as well?

Turns out I needed the opposite side connector for my ATX power supply, so I ordered one about a week and a half ago. Still haven't heard anything about it (expected shipping date, tracking number, etc.) so I'm curious.

Does anyone know if the angled power cables need to be shipped out from Taiwan as well?

Turns out I needed the opposite side connector for my ATX power supply, so I ordered one about a week and a half ago. Still haven't heard anything about it (expected shipping date, tracking number, etc.) so I'm curious.

I'm pretty sure mine shipped directly from W360 in the US when I ordered it.. not sure if that's still the case. Very likely that he's just busy with his main job, and will get around to processing orders for spares and shipping them all when he gets a free weekend.

You can email him at info (at) ncases.com to find out.

So it's worthy of a 10/10, but earned only 9.9 due to lack of USB 2.0, cable ties, and cuz tray-load ODD won't work (though they used one anyway, lol). Decent review, otherwise.. congrats again N&W :cool:

Also, I wasn't aware that the M1 had *any* warranty at all, so I hardly see the 1-year warranty as a con.

Honestly, if it bothers them that much, they could just get a dremel/hacksaw and some sandpaper and make an opening for a slot-loading slim ODD...it is just aluminum, after all. o_o

A quick question - is it possible to use an EKWB Coolstream PE 240 rad with a front mounted HDD? I'm in the process of moving my gear to a new flat, so can't really check myself. I know that with my current H220 it was a very tight fit, and the PE 240 seems to be slightly larger.

A quick question - is it possible to use an EKWB Coolstream PE 240 rad with a front mounted HDD? I'm in the process of moving my gear to a new flat, so can't really check myself. I know that with my current H220 it was a very tight fit, and the PE 240 seems to be slightly larger.
I assume you mean a 3.5" HDD, not a 2.5" drive? It won't fit in the front mount, but could fit in the bottom mount if you have a 2-slot GPU cooler.

I assume you mean a 3.5" HDD, not a 2.5" drive? It won't fit in the front mount, but could fit in the bottom mount if you have a 2-slot GPU cooler.
No, a single 2.5" in the front inside mount. ODD in the front outside mount. Like in my current setup, but with a different shaped rad:
uS9EQcT.jpg

So it's worthy of a 10/10, but earned only 9.9 due to lack of USB 2.0, cable ties, and cuz tray-load ODD won't work (though they used one anyway, lol). Decent review, otherwise.. congrats again N&W :cool:

Also, I wasn't aware that the M1 had *any* warranty at all, so I hardly see the 1-year warranty as a con.

TBF the comments complain about the price. Price also matters and should IMO impact the score so I don't think it's unfair.

Honestly, if it bothers them that much, they could just get a dremel/hacksaw and some sandpaper and make an opening for a slot-loading slim ODD...it is just aluminum, after all. o_o

I think you mean tray-loading :)

TBF the comments complain about the price. Price also matters and should IMO impact the score so I don't think it's unfair.

Yes and no. It's a quite unique project in the sense that it is a high-end product that Lian-Li could have made if it had talented mechanical engineers instead of graphic artists. But they haven't and the few other true SFF cases mainly come from Silverstone, who just aren't there in the build quality. So this is not another case with a hyped-up name, this is the real deal.

This is also not another $50 plastic + SECC case, this is an all-aluminium top notch design with flexibility even most mATX cases can't offer. I see many Lian-Li mITX cases, which offer comparable build quality but stupid flexibility and design, be sold for roughly the same prices (~$150). If one can choose to go with a very ineffient mITX case for $150 or have a case that gets the "Recommended" from reviewers all-around (1, 2, 3, 4, ...) for $180, I'd know where I'd like my money went to.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Refreshing the website everyday in hope for the silver version without CD-tray to come back in stock. I'm hoping that the problems you're experiencing are going the right way NCase team! :D

What was with Tech Power Up using the most scratched up NCASE I have ever seen for a review sample. If I was looking to buy this case and saw that review I would think wow that is some poor quality.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NCASE/M1/1.html

hello TPU review - congrats guys, this sort of review on a site like TPU is pretty epic exposure.

Congrats. There's a reason why I own each version :p

congrats again N&W :cool:
Thank you.

I think it's possible. The H220 rad is actually a bit longer than the PE 240 (285mm vs. 280mm), though the orientation could make a difference (ports at front vs rear).

Refreshing the website everyday in hope for the silver version without CD-tray to come back in stock. I'm hoping that the problems you're experiencing are going the right way NCase team! :D
There won't be a restock until the next production run, which won't be for some time. Tentatively, we're looking at early fall.

What was with Tech Power Up using the most scratched up NCASE I have ever seen for a review sample. If I was looking to buy this case and saw that review I would think wow that is some poor quality.
The scuff marks on the chassis (e.g., here - if that's what you're referring to) look like they occurred during installation. Hard to avoid, unless you're very careful.

Last edited:
Eh, stuff happens. I messed up the GPU hole cover with a screwdriver. Didn't even feel any resistance, but carved a nice shiny groove in the otherwise black cover... I flipped it so you can't see it from the outside.

innerfront.jpg

innerfloor.jpg

At least take pictures of the chassis before you put parts in, even still my v1 and v2 looks cleaner than that after owning them both since release.
Hmm that does seem like some ham-fisted SFF noob tried to fit random hardware in there. Oh well, luckily it's the inside with no windows.

*sigh*
I guess I won't be joining the Ncase M1 club anytime soon :(
eBay guy flaked on me TWICE now :/

So I have the ASUS GTX 970 Mini and was wondering if it would be better to have an airflow or static pressure fan blowing into it from the bottom fan mount? I can only assume static pressure but thought it was worth asking either way before I buy the fan!

Static pressure fans are for blowing air through a heatsink. The fan on the GTX 970 should already do that. Airflow fans seem to me the logical choice in the matter but I personally prefer ducting over an extra fan.

Static pressure fans are for blowing air through a heatsink. The fan on the GTX 970 should already do that. Airflow fans seem to me the logical choice in the matter but I personally prefer ducting over an extra fan.

Hmm understood, then again now that I think about it, I think I might end up throwing an Accelero on it, so I should probably go with the static fan anyways. Thank you!

Back