NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Is it possible to sell a much shorter USB header cable on the accessories page? I found both my motherboards don't need it that long. The power/led/hdd cables are long but at least those can be shortened/crimped easily.

I can't believe how far this case has gone since its inception.

It's been almost a year since the NCase started reaching users and even now. I've been using my case for almost that long, yet I am still here reading about the NCase and getting enthusiastic about round three!! I've built my case, yet I'm looking at what GPU options are up next. I'm still planning what I would be building GPU wise, and even though I know I won't be doing anything soon, I'm still planing my next build for this case each time every time something new comes up, or I discover something I haven't seen before. I think - Would that work for the NCase?

I am still intrigued by what this case can do for its size, and I am still in awe at how this case came to fruition and is still going strong, all while looking seriously good.

A HUGE thanks to Necere and Wahaha360 for getting this organised and carried though to the hands of what is now easily over a thousand enthusiasts.

Thank You!

Will preorders be limited? Or just go until a set date, then production go until theres enough to fulfill the orders? I'm super stoked to order an M1 finally, but terrified I'll miss out if I'm working or busy when the preorders go live. I know previous batches have sold out within minutes before :(

Will preorders be limited? Or just go until a set date, then production go until theres enough to fulfill the orders? I'm super stoked to order an M1 finally, but terrified I'll miss out if I'm working or busy when the preorders go live. I know previous batches have sold out within minutes before :(

Good question. For the second batch i had the money but the system doesn't accepted my paypal account.

It's been almost a year since the NCase started reaching users and even now. I've been using my case for almost that long, yet I am still here reading about the NCase and getting enthusiastic about round three!! I've built my case, yet I'm looking at what GPU options are up next. I'm still planning what I would be building GPU wise, and even though I know I won't be doing anything soon, I'm still planing my next build for this case each time every time something new comes up, or I discover something I haven't seen before. I think - Would that work for the NCase?

I am still intrigued by what this case can do for its size, and I am still in awe at how this case came to fruition and is still going strong, all while looking seriously good.

A HUGE thanks to Necere and Wahaha360 for getting this organised and carried though to the hands of what is now easily over a thousand enthusiasts.

Thank You!

I totally agree. I remember hearing about this case, but did not follow it closely until a few months ago. I had built several towers, at least one a year to keep my kid's gaming PCs up to snuff. Then last year I built a micro-ATX case (Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E) and thoroughly enjoyed that experience. Then I got the mini-ITX itch. I checked to see "whatever happened to that Kickstarter case" and found this massive thread. OMG. I researched a lot of mini-ITX cases, but when I decided to get the M1, I was too late. Mad for missing out, I found a Version 1 on eBay that was only slightly inflated. I would seriously consider buying a V3.

Heck, If you want to build a mini-ITX case, if the M1 is available (hopefully more consistently), why would you buy anything else? So stylish and yet so flexible, it's perfect for almost anybody. I just hope Lian Li doesn't start to feel too threatened and decide to stop building them.

A huge thanks to everyone, but especially Necere and Wahaha360!

Thank You!

I totally agree. I remember hearing about this case, but did not follow it closely until a few months ago. I had built several towers, at least one a year to keep my kid's gaming PCs up to snuff. Then last year I built a micro-ATX case (Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E) and thoroughly enjoyed that experience. Then I got the mini-ITX itch. I checked to see "whatever happened to that Kickstarter case" and found this massive thread. OMG. I researched a lot of mini-ITX cases, but when I decided to get the M1, I was too late. Mad for missing out, I found a Version 1 on eBay that was only slightly inflated. I would seriously consider buying a V3.

Heck, If you want to build a mini-ITX case, if the M1 is available (hopefully more consistently), why would you buy anything else? So stylish and yet so flexible, it's perfect for almost anybody. I just hope Lian Li doesn't start to feel too threatened and decide to stop building them.

A huge thanks to everyone, but especially Necere and Wahaha360!
That's awesome and you're welcome. :)

It's pretty incredible to me that this little case has come so far and generated so much interest. This thread alone is huge, with over 14,000 replies and two and a half million views, it's easily the largest on this subforum, and probably one of the bigger threads on the forum as whole. The following it has amassed is really something else, and even now, two years after it was conceived, people are still excited about it.

It's amazing to see the impact we've had - I see the M1's influence in so many cases that have come out and are coming out. It feels like we've really left our mark on the industry, and it's humbling.

It's also great to see so many other case projects starting up. The fact that we've been successful I think gives others the confidence and a blueprint for pursuing the realization of their own designs.

Of course, this wouldn't have been possible without everyone that has supported us along the way. So we owe all of you our thanks. I also can't forget Kyle for running this forum in the first place :D So thanks to him.

You don't have to worry about missing it. Those were extras that sold out in a few minutes, and there were only around 50-60. We've done two production runs, and in both cases we had the pre-order period open for almost a full month. This time around we're actually ordering the production run before taking orders, and there should be enough to last at least a couple of months.

ALSO: w360 tells me M1 orders will open up on our website on Friday, November 21st. Deliveries are scheduled to start in mid-December.

You don't have to worry about missing it. Those were extras that sold out in a few minutes, and there were only around 50-60. We've done two production runs, and in both cases we had the pre-order period open for almost a full month. This time around we're actually ordering the production run before taking orders, and there should be enough to last at least a couple of months.

ALSO: w360 tells me M1 orders will open up on our website on Friday, November 21st. Deliveries are scheduled to start in mid-December.

Fantastic news. I can't wait! As others have said, huge thanks to you and w360 (as well as others) for making all this possible. The M1 really is one of the best mITX case options on the market. :D

The http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=210 (SG05) does it & it is very close in size, but not as deep.
Make sure to quote the post properly so people know what you're talking about. I had to go back ten pages to find it :p

Yes, the ODD is in the front in the SG05, but that case is also a completely different layout than the M1. Have you even looked at the M1's layout? It should be quite apparent that the PSU exhausts out the top of the case, so having the ODD there would completely block it. Not to mention there's no vertical room to spare whatsoever when either ATX PSUs or SFX-L PSUs are installed.

My order with filters was posted by Demciflex late september but just recently reached the international hub in Johannesburg.

Anyone have a clue how long that postal strike was in South Africa? Perhaps im not the only one waiting for filters?

Still trying to figure out what blower style graphics card to buy.
Noticed that Overclockers UK now have taken delivery of their special 970 with 980 PCB and 980 reference cooler, only drawback, it is just a £105 price difference towards the £980.

Last edited:
My order with filters was posted by Demciflex late september but just recently reached the international hub in Johannesburg.

Anyone have a clue how long that postal strike was in South Africa? Perhaps im not the only one waiting for filters? Im in no rush though, just curious, still trying to figure out what graphics card to buy.

It's still ongoing and since there has been disruption for over three months you can bet the backlog of mail is now massive.

Anyone have a clue how long that postal strike was in South Africa? Perhaps im not the only one waiting for filters?

Still trying to figure out what blower style graphics card to buy.
Noticed that Overclockers UK now have taken delivery of their special 970 with 980 PCB and 980 reference cooler, only drawback, it is just a £105 price difference towards the £980.

really wish this was available in the states and didnt cost and arm and a leg. id sell my gigabyte 970 for this right away

Hello -- I see people making recommendations for 140mm fans for the Noctua NH-C14. Does the case allow for two 140mm fans in the side panel? Single 140mm + 120mm?
I was going for two 120mm fans for the side panel (and maybe at the bottom) but now I'm a bit confused.

Tx!

The strike is over as far as I know. At least for me (Belgium) my package arrived in BE after 2 months. I still have to receive it at home. I only hope after two months floating somewhere the package is still in good shape :).

FrozenCPU still has a few Demciflex filters for the M1 in stock.

Hello -- I see people making recommendations for 140mm fans for the Noctua NH-C14. Does the case allow for two 140mm fans in the side panel? Single 140mm + 120mm?
I was going for two 120mm fans for the side panel (and maybe at the bottom) but now I'm a bit confused.

Tx!
The bracket can only take 120mm fans. With the C14 you can use the included 140mm on top, but it's attached to the heatsink rather than the bracket, and there's not enough room for a 120mm fan on the bracket next to it.

Last edited:
30iktj7.png

is the pricing confirmed on the V3? also what time does the preorder come live on Friday?

Last edited:
Hey guys, after reinstalling my graphics card, the fan is suddenly being blocked by the hard drive. Does anyone have a good trick for making the card sag less?

Hi all, did someone try the MB of 24x19cm? Yesterday my friend just visited my home and see my V2. He likes it pretty much and asked me if P8H61-M can be installed inside. I'm not a PC HW expert so I'm not sure if the MB is correct but I'm sure the dimension he told is 24x19cm. Or how to make it possible? It seems my friend would like to order V3 and dn't want to upgrade HW:D

Hang in there. My order placed on October 24th arrived on Wednesday (the 12th) this week which is just under 3 weeks for delivery to the Ottawa, Ontario, Canada area.

Hi all, did someone try the MB of 24x19cm? Yesterday my friend just visited my home and see my V2. He likes it pretty much and asked me if P8H61-M can be installed inside. I'm not a PC HW expert so I'm not sure if the MB is correct but I'm sure the dimension he told is 24x19cm. Or how to make it possible? It seems my friend would like to order V3 and dn't want to upgrade HW:D
That board is a standard width (height?) mATX board, which don't fit - it's 244mm, while the entire M1 (without the feet) is only 240mm tall. There are some 3-slot mATX that can fit in the case, though. See this thread and the google docs spreadsheet. Basically, if the board has more than 3 slots, it's guaranteed not to fit. If it has 3 or less, it might fit, depending on the dimensions.

Hey guys,
Im from New Zealand and just got most of my build finished off and just want to say FUCK THIS CASE IS AWESOME! THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PUT IN EFFORT!

Has anyone got photos of what the EVGA GTX970 "blower" heatsink and internals look like? Im thinking about buying this card to finish my build but kind of want to see what the build quality like is underneath first.

With the C14 you can use the included 140mm on top, but it's attached to the heatsink rather than the bracket, and there's not enough room for a 120mm fan on the bracket next to it.

Though it's *technically* possible to install both 140 + 120mm fans on the side rack when using the lower C12 cooler. Not that I would recommend chopping up your fans to accomplish such a crazy thing :D..

Yk26b5l.jpg

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041174281&postcount=14002

@Dnoiz: 1x 140mm fan mounted to the heatsink, or 2x 120mm fans mounted to the side rack is more than enough for the C14. If necessary, just add a 2nd fan below the heatsink.

________

Hey guys, after reinstalling my graphics card, the fan is suddenly being blocked by the hard drive. Does anyone have a good trick for making the card sag less?

I'm not sure how he made this, but IreK's friend Elder fab'd a nifty support bracket for propping up a reference 980 inside his M1..

vwBy9Qv.jpg

http://forum.pclab.pl/topic/994392-NCASE-M1-HEXXEH-FastMod2/page__st__60__p__12919502&#entry12919502

Tx!

The bracket can only take 120mm fans. With the C14 you can use the included 140mm on top, but it's attached to the heatsink rather than the bracket, and there's not enough room for a 120mm fan on the bracket next to it.
As a follow up to this, I did see this build, which has a Noctua NF-A15 installed alongside a regular 120mm Noctua. The NF-A15 is an interesting fan - it measures 140x150mm, but it has a rounded frame and the same mounting holes as a 120mm fan. The fans just fit together on the fan bracket:

Sjatx7n.jpg

This should mean that any 140mm fan with 120mm mounting holes will fit along with a 120mm fan on the bracket.

I'm not sure how he made this, but IreK's friend Elder fab'd a nifty support bracket for propping up a reference 980 inside his M1..

vwBy9Qvs.jpg

http://forum.pclab.pl/topic/994392-NCASE-M1-HEXXEH-FastMod2/page__st__60__p__12919502&#entry12919502

It's a thin strip of aluminium folded into a trapezoid. Neat idea, gonna steal that :)

Does anyone know were online those short custom PSU cables can be purchased? The link that Necere's posted has them link ?

Several places will sell you pre-crimped wires and you can construct your own with connectors. But if you don't trust yourself to get the right pinout, send an email to Eric @ Moddiy if he can make e.g. this one but unsleeved, just with regular wires.

As a follow up to this, I did see this build, which has a Noctua NF-A15 installed alongside a regular 120mm Noctua. The NF-A15 is an interesting fan - it measures 140x150mm, but it has a rounded frame and the same mounting holes as a 120mm fan. The fans just fit together on the fan bracket:

Sjatx7n.jpg

This should mean that any 140mm fan with 120mm mounting holes will fit along with a 120mm fan on the bracket.

What? I never even tried to fit the top 140 mm fan from my NH-C14 heatsink to the fan bracket. Are new holes needed to accommodate the 140 mm width of the NF-A15 fan in the photo? I know the NF-A15's mounting holes are the same as a 120 mm fan, but what about the extra 20 mm width of the fan itself?

It's only 10mm on each side, of which one doesn't hit anything and the fan mounting holes are slots to give about 10mm of "travel" for both fans.

It's more an OCD thing than necessary, but it does provide a bit of extra room in an otherwise cramped location if your card *is* sagging.

That bracket mounted Noctua NF-A15 is intriguing. Considering doing that. Still need to pull apart my rig and swap the orientation of my SX600-G to be inwards anyways - the chatter at idle is driving me insane.

It's more an OCD thing than necessary, but it does provide a bit of extra room in an otherwise cramped location if your card *is* sagging.

That bracket mounted Noctua NF-A15 is intriguing. Considering doing that. Still need to pull apart my rig and swap the orientation of my SX600-G to be inwards anyways - the chatter at idle is driving me insane.

lol, I was planning the opposite, ie swapping my SX600 so the fans face outward. Point being to draw in cold air from the outside instead of (in theory) taking in hot air from inside the case. I've never noticed any chatter from it though, just coil whine (disappears after it has been running for a bit). Who knows, if I suddenly start noticing chatter I might swap it around again. Come back in a year or so and we'll probably all still be swapping it around trying to find the optimal orientation. :p

As I am spending more and more time with my watercooled case I am falling in love with it more and more

How would one add a fill port?
What kind of hardware do I look for?
Should my ncase external res just be the fill/drain port?
Push Vs Pull - I assume that push is better since I am pushing cool air into the case rather than pulling warm air inside

What? I never even tried to fit the top 140 mm fan from my NH-C14 heatsink to the fan bracket. Are new holes needed to accommodate the 140 mm width of the NF-A15 fan in the photo? I know the NF-A15's mounting holes are the same as a 120 mm fan, but what about the extra 20 mm width of the fan itself?
So I tried this today with one of the NH-C14's fans and a 120mm fan, and while it does kind of fit, it's 1-2mm shy of being enough room. The result is that you can get them mounted together on the bracket, but the frame of the 140mm fan is forced to bend just a little, so it's a little more oval than round. It's not noticeable and it doesn't appear to affect the fan mechanically (I didn't power them on, but the blades spin freely), but because it's a bit of a squeeze it makes installation a little more difficult. That's probably even more true if the 140 fan has a square frame.

What I'd recommend instead if you're using the NH-C14 and want to use 140mm+120mmm fans on the bracket, is to mount the 140mm fan off-center on the heatsink. The NH-C14 fans use a wire retention system that clips on to the heatsink fins, so moving it over is straightforward. There are small rubber spaces wedged into the fins that need to be moved as well for the fan to sit on. Once it's moved over, there should be enough room for a 120mm fan on the bracket.

Still need to pull apart my rig and swap the orientation of my SX600-G to be inwards anyways - the chatter at idle is driving me insane.

lol, I was planning the opposite, ie swapping my SX600 so the fans face outward. Point being to draw in cold air from the outside instead of (in theory) taking in hot air from inside the case. I've never noticed any chatter from it though, just coil whine (disappears after it has been running for a bit). Who knows, if I suddenly start noticing chatter I might swap it around again. Come back in a year or so and we'll probably all still be swapping it around trying to find the optimal orientation. :p

Lol. I was planning on leaving mine w/intake fan facing outward if I'll be sitting on the left-hand side of the case, or swapping it to internal if I decide to sit to the right of the case. Should be less noticeable that way.. just be mindful that both the chatter and the coil whine has a tendency to travel quite a ways in a very direct pattern and reflect back off of other surfaces.

Still waiting/deciding on a new monitor before I migrate my M1 to the new desk and try to figure that one out.

Back