NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I'm not going to speak for EK, but I haven't seen any major issues like there was 2 (3?) years ago with the older generation EK blocks.

Many people still use silver+distilled since then, but copper sulphate based algicides are probably best avoided. Personally I switched to EKoolant recently to cover any RMA discussions, and because it's non-toxic unlike other glycol premixes.

ya Let me know if you get any update and I will post updates when I get them. starting to get worry :confused:
TW Surface and US economy deliveries are currently making their way across the ocean on cargo ships, which takes some time. They update tracking when something happens (i.e., packages are processed and scanned as they depart/arrive at port). The ETA for TW surface given on our website when you ordered was 6-12 weeks from the date the cases were delivered from manufacturing, which was the end of July. So we're only about 4 weeks in.

Why are they going all the way to the east coast instead of the west coast?
I couldn't tell you why Canada-bound packages might be on ships headed to the east coast (if that is in fact the case). The shipment with the US economy packages are going to the east coast because that's where W360 is based and will be shipping them from.

So after several years in the IT industry I'm finally building a home work pc that will do a little bit of everything. (Gaming, CAD, image production etc.) - And i'm sure 99% of the users here are more experienced in hardware than I am so you can provide positive feedback (right?), here is my list of components I'll be buying this fall for a future proof (if thats even possible...) pc...

MOBO: Maximus VII impact
CPU: I7 4790k or G3258 (to be replaced by broadwell unlocked cpu)
CPU Cooler: Noctua C14 (push/pull to exhaust out the side)
PSU: Silverstone 600w sfx psu (maybe a seasonic psII if there's space)
Case Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A12's PWM (bottom), 1x NF-A15(side if it'll fit), NF-A9x14 (side)
Storage: A-Data SP900 256gb // Samsung 840 Evo 120gb SSD (in the slimline slot)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb (2x8) DDR3-1866 // CAS 10
GPU: TBD with possible upcoming next gen NVIDIA (I also use Adobe suite etc. programs to benefit from the extra CUDA's, or I guess i could settle for a 780ti blower style *sigh*...)

Thoughts?

So after several years in the IT industry I'm finally building a home work pc that will do a little bit of everything. (Gaming, CAD, image production etc.) - And i'm sure 99% of the users here are more experienced in hardware than I am so you can provide positive feedback (right?), here is my list of components I'll be buying this fall for a future proof (if thats even possible...) pc...

MOBO: Maximus VII impact
CPU: I7 4790k or G3258 (to be replaced by broadwell unlocked cpu)
CPU Cooler: Noctua C14 (push/pull to exhaust out the side)
PSU: Silverstone 600w sfx psu (maybe a seasonic psII if there's space)
Case Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A12's PWM (bottom), 1x NF-A15(side if it'll fit), NF-A9x14 (side)
Storage: A-Data SP900 256gb // Samsung 840 Evo 120gb SSD (in the slimline slot)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb (2x8) DDR3-1866 // CAS 10
GPU: TBD with possible upcoming next gen NVIDIA (I also use Adobe suite etc. programs to benefit from the extra CUDA's, or I guess i could settle for a 780ti blower style *sigh*...)

Thoughts?

No such thing as a future proof system. The only things future proof in a system is
The case
The PSU.. to some degree
Fans..also to some degree
Storage.. also also to some degree

The build?
You would want the i7 if you want to do use some multithreaded applications, if not the G3258 is an amazing chip that you can overclock so high, 4.8Ghz
Ram looks good, storage looks good.

I don't have any experience with the maximus board so I'm not sure if the C14 will fit
If you use the C14, I'm pretty sure the side fans will not fit

I saw in a review on German site computerbase.de that the G3258 overclocked at 4,7GHz is only as fast as an i3 4330. So you might want to go with i7 if you've got the need for speed right now.

C14 fits with the impact mobo. 120mm fans with fit under and on top of the C14 no problem

The Side fan "doesn't fit" because the CPU fan takes its place. Terminology becomes somewhat of mismomer or irrelevant here.

The C14 heatsink fins leave about 28mm between the fins and the inside of the fan bracket. You can mount the side panel fan/CPU fan on the side panel or on the heatsink.

I'm getting my M1 soon and I still haven't decided what cooling options I'm going to use. The build is going to have a 4790k (mildly OC'd) and a EVGA 780 TI (reference titan cooler - no OC).

Should I go air or water?

Air: Noctua C14 CPU cooler, reference titan cooler (exhaust out back) and bottom mounted intake

Water: H220 + EK GTX780 TI waterblock OR Custom loop

I want to maintain the lowest noise output possible and am interested in how both of these cooling options fare (in terms of noise) while under load.

I know it's not the best place to ask for something this small but i really nead an answer please.

So, i've run out of plugs for fans on my motherboard.

And i need 3 more plugs, with 4 pins.
I don't want to use molex adapters.

So i was wondering if there are any 4 pins to sata?
I've found something but not in stock :(
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...r_3-Pin_Cable_Adapter_OSA-086.html?tl=g47c121

So my other question is this.

Buy 2 of these .
http://www.moddiy.com/products/PWN-Fan--4-Pin-Y-Cable-Splitter-(Sleeved)-.html

1 goes into the cpu 4 pin plug.
one of its Y, i put the cpu cooler.
in the other Y i put the other adapter so i can give power to 2 more fans.
Will this work or will it overload the plug/ screw with the mobo's bios etc?

Thank you.

The Side fan "doesn't fit" because the CPU fan takes its place. Terminology becomes somewhat of mismomer or irrelevant here.

The C14 heatsink fins leave about 28mm between the fins and the inside of the fan bracket. You can mount the side panel fan/CPU fan on the side panel or on the heatsink.
I'm getting confused. Are you referring to the rear 92/80mm mount as the side?

Here's the timeline for M1 V2 shipping, posted on behalf of w360:

JMRzHY0.png

I'm getting confused. Are you referring to the rear 92/80mm mount as the side?
No. With very thick/deep heatsinks, the top of the heatsink is pretty close to the side of the case. The gap ends up being close to the thickness of a fan, so you can either mount the fan to the heatsink (leaving a few mm between the top of the fan and the side bracket) or mount it to the side bracket (and leave a few mm between the fan and the heatsink).
The side fan 'doesn't fit' because there isn't enough room to stack two fans one above the other.

No. With very thick/deep heatsinks, the top of the heatsink is pretty close to the side of the case. The gap ends up being close to the thickness of a fan, so you can either mount the fan to the heatsink (leaving a few mm between the top of the fan and the side bracket) or mount it to the side bracket (and leave a few mm between the fan and the heatsink).
The side fan 'doesn't fit' because there isn't enough room to stack two fans one above the other.
O ok now I understand. In my case, I used some washers so it now sits on the C14 heatsink, but like you said it's attached to the side bracket.

NewEgg got that Silverstone SFX 600W PSU back in stock finally. Too bad their Visa Checkout discount has already ended. I bought one before they go out of stock again.

NewEgg got that Silverstone SFX 600W PSU back in stock finally. Too bad their Visa Checkout discount has already ended. I bought one before they go out of stock again.

Ordered an SX600-G from Amazon a few weeks back, was delivered Tuesday. I have to say, while it's not "silent" the fan is no longer near as obnoxious to me... the 450w had what I'd describe as a whinier, higher-pitched fan, and thankfully the 600w is lower in pitch, or at least that's how it seems to me. I'm pleased.

I'd still like it if the PSU weren't the noisiest part of the build, but hey, for 600w in that form factor, who's complaining?

Helo guys, I just unbox and check my silver M1V2 today though I got it several wks ago. I read some feedback from other owners. Hopefully the side panel issue is acceptable for me(Top panel is a little bit lower than side ones, but it's even from front to back side) and foot stand balance is quite good on mine:).
... OK the point is... In fact I'm not a PC expert and even not a DIYer. I notice there is no user manual or instruction for several kinds of screws and rubbers. Would any kind guys show me some illustration of the purpose of each screw? I will appreciate it pretty much! TKS

(Top panel is a little bit lower than side ones, but it's even from front to back side)
This is by design. It helps to keep the side panels from bowing.

Would any kind guys show me some illustration of the purpose of each screw? I will appreciate it pretty much! TKS
This is the updated version for V2:
Bl6aftf.jpg

Last edited:
So..

I might be scrapping the whole custom W/C loop..

I found a nice H220 for $90. I'm thinking of getting it, grabbing some barb fittings, tubes and a waterblock for the GPU

As far as I can tell only one hard drive can be mounted in the inside front if I do use the H220.
I have two hard drives mounted right now on the inside.

I would have to take out the ssd, grab a mSATA SSD and put it on the motherboard and then mount the two drives inside on the PSU

I can definitely save lots of bills if I go this route, however temp wise, what can I expect from the H220?

As far as I can tell only one hard drive can be mounted in the inside front if I do use the H220.
I have two hard drives mounted right now on the inside.

I would have to take out the ssd, grab a mSATA SSD and put it on the motherboard and then mount the two drives inside on the PSU
Remember also you can mount drives on the bottom of the case.

I can definitely save lots of bills if I go this route, however temp wise, what can I expect from the H220?
You can expect temperatures to be better than air. Exact temps will depend on your fan and filter setup, but with a 7950 in the loop you could probably expect 50s-60s under typical (gaming) loads. Don't forget to run the pump off the included powered splitter if you go this route.

Remember also you can mount drives on the bottom of the case.

You can expect temperatures to be better than air. Exact temps will depend on your fan and filter setup, but with a 7950 in the loop you could probably expect 50s-60s under typical (gaming) loads. Don't forget to run the pump off the included powered splitter if you go this route.

Thanks for the quick response

I understand I can run mount drives on the bottom, however I have modded my non-modular SFX PSU sata power cables to be much shorter to reach my 1x psu mounted drive, 2x inside drive & 1x outside drive

Hey everyone,

Been on this thread for a long time but haven't posted much, I have an M1 (V1) with a reference 6970 which is quite loud so I want to install an aftermarket cooler...

The Arctic accelero xtreme IV has caught my eye but it is rather large http://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-Acce...id=1409913315&sr=8-1&keywords=Accelero+Xtreme

I know Necere did the original testing on on older accelero xtreme but the new one looks a bit larger, can anyone tell me if it will fit in my rig (specs below) possibly with the shroud removed or backplate cooler removed? Or does anyone have any other suggestions on what I could use, thanks guys :)

56d.jpg

Rig:
Gigabyte GA-Z77N0WIFI
Radeon 6970 - reference
Intel 3570k
Corsair vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) - the tall ones
Closed loop 120mm CPU cooler - forgotten which one
Zalman ZM500-GS - non-modular, sub-140mm

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Can we send a fast drug running boat to interdict the container ship and get the US Economy cases here faster? I'm afraid if I have to wait another month I'll fall off the sexy small case wagon and get a dirty full ATX X99 board in something that resembles a wardrobe more than a computer case :D

NewEgg has $9 off with promotional code of the ASRock H97M-ITX board, plus $10 mail in rebate so that's $70.99 for a H97 chipset mini-ITX motherboard.

Hmm looks like Swiftechs H220 isn't that great, so probably going custom way

How many fittings would I need for one waterblock/pump combo, gpu + res?

2 for the waterblock/pump, 2 for gpu and 2 for res correct?

MSI B75IA-E33

Noiseblocker 2x B12-P , 1x PL-PS and 1x M12-P

But i've found a sata with 4 x 4 pin extension.

http://www.moddiy.com/products/SATA...-or-3%2dPin-Sleeved-Cable-Adapter-(30cm).html

Ordered one see how it will perform

Your fans are all PWM, but your motherboard only seems to have one PWM header, on the CPU fan. That's okay, because you could split four ways if you power from molex or sata. However, the splitter cables you linked are all full power only and probably the PWM pin is unconnected (or 5V) which means full speed.

Swiftech makes the ideal product. Sata connection for power and a hub with 8 pwm fan headers. However, I can't find any UK links to the product. My local shop has them but I don't know what shipping would be to UK.

http://www.highflow.nl/fans/fans-ventilator-toebehoren/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter-8w-pwm-spl.html

Aquatuning UK has the molex version, if you know anyone who can rewire a molex into a sata. http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/cables/fan-cables-und-adptors/16390/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter

Hmm looks like Swiftechs H220 isn't that great, so probably going custom way

How many fittings would I need for one waterblock/pump combo, gpu + res?

2 for the waterblock/pump, 2 for gpu and 2 for res correct?

You need a radiator as well, plus it's always good to get extra compression fittings for filling and draining. So 8 nice ones, and get 4 cheap ones.

Your fans are all PWM, but your motherboard only seems to have one PWM header, on the CPU fan. That's okay, because you could split four ways if you power from molex or sata. However, the splitter cables you linked are all full power only and probably the PWM pin is unconnected (or 5V) which means full speed.

Swiftech makes the ideal product. Sata connection for power and a hub with 8 pwm fan headers. However, I can't find any UK links to the product. My local shop has them but I don't know what shipping would be to UK.

http://www.highflow.nl/fans/fans-ventilator-toebehoren/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter-8w-pwm-spl.html

Aquatuning UK has the molex version, if you know anyone who can rewire a molex into a sata. http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/cables/fan-cables-und-adptors/16390/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter

You need a radiator as well, plus it's always good to get extra compression fittings for filling and draining. So 8 nice ones, and get 4 cheap ones.

Ah yes forgot about the rad :p

Thanks

Hey people, i purchased one of the v2 ncases, and while i wait for the thing to ship to Germany, i'm trying to figure out which hardware to put in. I have some more or less sensible builds in mind, one of the more experimental ones would require a mini-dtx board. Does anybody know how the Market is for those pretty rare species at the moment?
Is there any other option than the ECS Elitegroup H61H2-MV ?

Hey again WiSK sorry

The apogee drive II waterblock only is on sale for $40! I might get that and get a good small pump to save some bills

Is there a small pump that would be compatible with the case mounted on the bottom?

I'm thinking of getting the...

DDC-3.25TPMP, here is a pic

Would it fit? It looks like the ports are on the side

https://www.dazmode.com/store/uploaded/thumbnails/db_file_img_1410_800xauto.jpg

NCIX no pump included

Edit: Ordered.... so cheap...

If the DDC-3.25TPMP doesn't fit then the Swiftech MCP35 will fit since overrated has it in his build

Last edited:
I don't recommend using a non-PWM DDC in the Apogee Drive II. The reason is that, being mounted to the motherboard, the pump vibrates the whole case. You need to run the pump slowly (1500-2250rpm), and that's best with the MCP35X.

Thanks WiSK for the info.
If all the fans at full power are to loud i will try to get what you recomended.

Back