NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

The top panel is about 0.5mm wider, which pushes against the side panels when they're on. If the side panels are slightly bowed, it will push them flatter. The front panel is also slightly wider, which minimizes any apparent bowing out at the ends of the side panels.

Understood, thanks.

Phuncz, I'm sorry, I made a mistake. There were some very minor adjustments to the panel dimensions between V1 and V2 so they fit a little better, but one of the side effects is that the V2 top panel is slightly too wide for the V1 front panel. None of the other panels are a problem. If you've ordered it already and want a refund on it, just drop us an email requesting it.

Hi Necere, no problem since I hadn't ordered it yet as I went to sleep. But good to know, I'll keep my M1 original for now :D

Ordered a pair of silver panels to be able to change my black case. Still kind of preferred if shipping was combined for these. :/

I have the planning for my build going on here at Bit-Tech though it will probably until after summer before I can start filling these up.

Could anyone please tell me how tall the supplied casefeet are? I still really like the idea of putting a rad on the bottom with the fans on the outside of the case underneath. You could put some narrow audio feet underneath or even make some custom feet that provide enough room (through the use of some slots) for fans in their design. Something like these. (2.25cm or 7/8" leaves plenty of room for some slim fans with a filter.)

And another question: When using the 2.5" drive stacking brackets, can you still use a rad with fans? Or are you limited to a single 2.5" disk?

Last edited:
Hey Necere! First of all, thanks for doing all of this! I really appreciate it. :)
Anyhow, I ordered the M1 with TW Air shipping to the Netherlands, but I'm moving at the end of August. Seeing as shipping wont happen until manufacturing is done, somewhere in July, should I change my address details now to my dads or should it be fine?

Last edited:
Ordered a pair of silver panels to be able to change my black case. Still kind of preferred if shipping was combined for these. :/

I have the planning for my build going on here at Bit-Tech though it will probably until after summer before I can start filling these up.

Could anyone please tell me how tall the supplied casefeet are? I still really like the idea of putting a rad on the bottom with the fans on the outside of the case underneath. You could put some narrow audio feet underneath or even make some custom feet that provide enough room (through the use of some slots) for fans in their design. Something like these. (2.25cm or 7/8" leaves plenty of room for some slim fans with a filter.)

And another question: When using the 2.5" drive stacking brackets, can you still use a rad with fans? Or are you limited to a single 2.5" disk?
Black Ice GTS XFlow is both a long (292mm) and wide (133mm) rad compared to most other 240 rads. It's not ideal for the space constraints in the M1, and you may not be able to mount any 2.5" drive on the inside front with it. The H220 rad is a bit under 290mm and barely allows for a single 7mm SSD, and then only with the ports at the back. With a shorter rad (<280mm), it shouldn't be a problem mounting a pair of SSDs using the stacking brackets.

The feet are 10mm tall. You can replace them easily (one screw each).

Hey Necere! First of all, thanks for doing all of this! I really appreciate it. :)
Anyhow, I ordered the M1 with TW Air shipping to the Netherlands, but I'm moving at the end of August. Seeing as shipping wont happen until manufacturing is done, somewhere in July, should I change my address details now to my dads or should it be fine?
I'd probably change it to be on the safe side.

Black Ice GTS XFlow is both a long (292mm) and wide (133mm) rad compared to most other 240 rads. It's not ideal for the space constraints in the M1, and you may not be able to mount any 2.5" drive on the inside front with it. The H220 rad is a bit under 290mm and barely allows for a single 7mm SSD, and then only with the ports at the back. With a shorter rad (<280mm), it shouldn't be a problem mounting a pair of SSDs using the stacking brackets.

The feet are 10mm tall. You can replace them easily (one screw each).
That's some very useful info. Thanks :)
Back to the drawing board

So that leaves us with a XSPC EX240 Slim Line Dual fan radiator (275mm x 121 x 35.5) or the MagiCool SLIM DUAL 240 Radiator (273x121x30mm)

EDIT2: Or a Black Ice Nemesis GTS (278mm x 133mm x 29.6mm) (Still wide, but hmmm)

Last edited:
(back on the user generated google docs file. All the user names have been "one'd". Did someone wipe out all the user names intentionally? Or is that an unintended result of unknowingly damaging the file, or malicious intent. (Or am I simply not seeing the names because I am somewhat blind?)

Since I last exported a copy of the file in late feburary, only 2 additional entries have been made, so nothing significantly different.

Since I last exported a copy of the file in late feburary, only 2 additional entries have been made, so nothing significantly different.

That's really weird. Glad you made a back-up, thanks!

(back on the user generated google docs file. All the user names have been "one'd". Did someone wipe out all the user names intentionally? Or is that an unintended result of unknowingly damaging the file, or malicious intent. (Or am I simply not seeing the names because I am somewhat blind?)

May 23, 6:39 PM PT - someone deleted the user name column ...

We could restore it as all changes are save, but then all changes after May 23 probably would be lost (if there are any)

Okay I have pre-ordered the V2 and I have some plans laid out I'd appreciate if you guys could comment with any issues I might face.

I was initially planning on going with regular tubing and Bitspower nickel over brass plated fittings but I thought that spending the extra work in making a rig that requires the least maintenance possible would be good for a build of this size. It's also the reason why I'm going with full copper in and out the entire loop save for some antimicrobial silver in the Monsoon fittings. I hope the amount of silver in all the fittings will save me from using a separate kill coil.

Note that some of these parts aren't actually released yet!
  • ASUS Maximus VII Impact
    I'm getting this because it includes all the features I need not because I'm going to overclock.
  • i7 4790T (45W TDP)
  • Sapphire Tri-X OC 290x
  • Swiftech Apogee Drive II
  • Alphacool ST30 240mm
  • GentleTyphoon AP-12 800RPM x 2
  • Silverstone 600W SFX PSU
  • Noiseblocker 80x15mm BlackSilentPro (will replace the fan in the PSU with this)
  • Aquacomputer Kryographics 290x copper block with Active XCS backplate
  • FrozenQ M1 reservoir
  • Will recycle my 830 256GB SSD until I get an M.2 SSD later.
  • A ton of Monsoon Hardline fittings
  • A ton Alphacool copper fittings
  • Primochill acrylic tubing (probably red)
  • Only distilled water as coolant without any additives

I might go with the Fractal Design Kelvin S24 when it's out instead of buying the Apogee Drive II with the ST30 (same radiator?). Only issue is that all the research I've done far indicates that the DC-LT pump inside the Kelvin series are voltage controlled and lack an RPM sensor cable unless Alphacool modified their pump for this CLC. I am trying to make the quietest rig possible and having a loud pump would be a deal breaker.

looks like a nice build :)
anyone know if i can fit a 135mm wide rad on the bottom?
I assume you can because yo can fit 3.5" HDDs but i just want to be sure

Just made a crude mockup in Sketchup and it seems like there is plenty of floorspace for a wider 240 rad but you would need to use external fans or an external pump + res and a low profile, 30 mm maximum.
Theoretically you can fit in a pump as well... only to be unable to plug any cables into the PSU. :p

EDIT: Added picture
1u403JN.png

I probably wouldn't because that space is needed for cable management.
In this picture I only have 27mm of room to the side. But in the actual case it would be centered.

Last edited:
Okay I have pre-ordered the V2 and I have some plans laid out I'd appreciate if you guys could comment with any issues I might face.

I was initially planning on going with regular tubing and Bitspower nickel over brass plated fittings but I thought that spending the extra work in making a rig that requires the least maintenance possible would be good for a build of this size. It's also the reason why I'm going with full copper in and out the entire loop save for some antimicrobial silver in the Monsoon fittings. I hope the amount of silver in all the fittings will save me from using a separate kill coil.

I'm getting this because it includes all the features I need not because I'm going to overclock.
  • i7 4790T (45W TDP)
  • Sapphire Tri-X OC 290x
  • Alphacool ST30 240mm
  • Noiseblocker 80x15mm BlackSilentPro (will replace the fan in the PSU with this)
  • FrozenQ M1 reservoir

I might go with the Fractal Design Kelvin S24 when it's out instead of buying the Apogee Drive II with the ST30 (same radiator?). Only issue is that all the research I've done far indicates that the DC-LT pump inside the Kelvin series are voltage controlled and lack an RPM sensor cable unless Alphacool modified their pump for this CLC. I am trying to make the quietest rig possible and having a loud pump would be a deal breaker.
Only suggestion I would like to add is don't be so concrete on the PSU. The upcoming Silverstone SFX-L might be a better solution, if it fits. Comes with a 120mm fan that might work better with your quiet build.

Just built mine after months and months of waiting.
Now I have 2 issues, the demci filters rub on the GT fans over my CPU creating an audible sound. I think I have a fix though.

The other issue is my EVGA 780 FTW edition is running at 93 degrees C. I tried removing the fans and shroud and blasting it with air from a pair of Scythe Glidestream 2000rpm which output 114cfm and it ran at the same temperature but a lower fps (I figured it's throttling because of the high temps)

Any thoughts on either of these?

I've got a little pentium box for my htpc so I might throw the 780 into that and see if it's still really hot. Maybe the card's faulty?

• i7 4790T (45W TDP)
  • Sapphire Tri-X OC 290x
  • Alphacool ST30 240mm
  • FrozenQ M1 reservoir

I agree with the comment above about Silverstone's upcoming 600W PSU. also I want to suggest considering Noctua fans.

I know that the gentle typhons have been a watercooling favorite, but Noctua's upcoming industrial fans look pretty sweet (already out in a number of countries, awaiting US release here)

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=78&lng=en

that's a link to the 2000 rpm PWM one, they have upto 3000 rpm PWM :eek:

That PSU will be well beyond 140mm (Necero's spec) in depth when you count in the modular connectors. Are you sure Hanakuso/vmem? Also vmem, I already have the fans.

Now I have 2 issues, the demci filters rub on the GT fans over my CPU creating an audible sound. I think I have a fix though.

The other issue is my EVGA 780 FTW edition is running at 93 degrees C. I tried removing the fans and shroud and blasting it with air from a pair of Scythe Glidestream 2000rpm which output 114cfm and it ran at the same temperature but a lower fps (I figured it's throttling because of the high temps)

I've got a little pentium box for my htpc so I might throw the 780 into that and see if it's still really hot. Maybe the card's faulty?

this rarely happens but maybe the heatsink have gotten 'loose' somehow? you can try reseating it. though honestly if you just bought it I would try to get an exchange or something

That PSU will be well beyond 140mm (Necero's spec) in depth when you count in the modular connectors. Are you sure Hanakuso/vmem? Also vmem, I already have the fans.

I can't find the link atm, but I remember reading somewhere that a Silverstone rep assured us that the PSU will be the exact same dimensions as the current 450W one. (i'll try to post a link once I find it)

if the above is true, then we're good. if you're right, then go with the smaller PSU. though honestly I think it would be rather stupid of silverstone to release an SFX PSU that would have trouble fitting in their own cases (it would be a pain to install something beyond 140mm in their own FT03-mini).

anyway, I would wait while you can until we have more concrete info

Dude are you in the right thread or what? :eek:

This is the NCASE M1 thread not Silverstone :p

Edit: I was asking Hanakuso about his suggestion to switch to the SFX-L form-factor PSU which is 130mm (140mm+ with modular connectors) in depth.

Dude are you in the right thread or what? :eek:

This is the NCASE M1 thread not Silverstone :p

Edit: I was asking Hanakuso about his suggestion to switch to the SFX-L form-factor PSU which is 130mm (140mm+ with modular connectors) in depth.

I know, I was replying to your question... here are my assumptions:

1. Silverstone designs SFX PSU, it MUST at least fit SFX mounting screwholes (compatibility 1 check)

2. Silverstone designed SFX MUST work with their OWN cases that use SFX... otherwise they're engineers are smoking a lot of crack.

3. Silverstone probably doesn't care about the Ncase M1 (especially since it's being manufactured by their competitor LL), but their own cases would limit their SFX designs to something that fit our Ncase M1 (at least by my research)

Yeah the 600W SFX PSU is fine and is my first choice (you did quote my initial list). However, for the sake of silence I am willing to go for the SFX-L if its guaranteed to work.

Silverstone has announced two different upcoming SFX PSUs:

1. SST-SX600-G: 600W modular gold-rated, standard SFX size (100mm long), OEM is Enhance
  2. SST-SX500-GL: 500W modular gold-rated, "SFX-L" (130mm long), OEM is High Power

There are pics linked in this post (note the 600W is probably a ST45SF-G with a sticker).

There's actually only ~132mm between the clips that hold the side panels on, so probably not. 3.5" HDDs are ~100mm wide.

Use the included fans grills between the fan and filter to stop the rubbing.

Regarding the GPU - test it with the side panels off, or in a different case. The M1 isn't ideal for high-power open cooler GPUs, but it should still be better than that.

Last edited:
There's actually only ~132mm between the clips that hold the side panels on, so probably not. 3.5" HDDs are ~100mm wide.

Use the included fans grills between the fan and filter to stop the rubbing.

Regarding the GPU - test it with the side panels off, or in a different case. The M1 isn't ideal for high-power open cooler GPUs, but it should still be better than that.

Good point on the fan grille. Should I go FAN>BRACKET>GRILL>FILTER or FAN>GRILL>BRACKET>FILTER?
My plan was to just glue an unfolded paperclip over the face to give the filter support XD

I think I'll try reseating the cooler on my GPU because I tried running it with the panel off and it didn't really help. I'm also going to get a couple of slim fans in the bottom to try feeding it cool air.

Good point on the fan grille. Should I go FAN>BRACKET>GRILL>FILTER or FAN>GRILL>BRACKET>FILTER?
My plan was to just glue an unfolded paperclip over the face to give the filter support XD
It should be fairly obvious if you think about it: having the grille between the filter and the bracket won't work because then how will the filter attach to the ferrous strips? I don't think the grilles will fit between the bracket and side panel anyway.

So to answer the question: fan>grille>bracket>filter.

I wasn't sure on the thickness of the strips or the grill. I'm sneakily on the forums while at work so I can't just check my bits.

Thanks Necere

I think I'll try reseating the cooler on my GPU because I tried running it with the panel off and it didn't really help. I'm also going to get a couple of slim fans in the bottom to try feeding it cool air.
I had used fan grills for a week but decided 2-3mm thick washers were more "clean" and the filters don't hit the GTs with either solution.

I guess fan grills are a sure thing but I wanted a "cleaner" solution

Starting from the outside of the case, my setup is filter>bracket>washer or fan grill>fan

Thanks Hanakuso! I definitely want to go with the rounded 25mm eBay plugs.. that overlap would def drive me crazy too.

It's amazing that I cannot find this particular plug in the US, but the UK has a million of 'em :confused:

• i7 4790T (45W TDP)
  • Sapphire Tri-X OC 290x
Why hamstring a top end GPU with the low TDP procesor? I'd think you'd either want a faster processor or a slower card. Especially under water I can't imagine you'd have trouble cooling the full power processor.

Why hamstring a top end GPU with the low TDP procesor? I'd think you'd either want a faster processor or a slower card. Especially under water I can't imagine you'd have trouble cooling the full power processor.
4.4GHz stock turbo is slow? What are you implying? Also I already have the card so thats that.

Considering how near impossible it is to find T parts outside of OEM pre-builts, you're better off going with the K anyways.

Definitely do. The T SKU is going to be dramatically slower.

Indeed. 4790T can get up to 3.9GHz, but only when one core is loaded. At full load, it drops down to 2.7GHz. But still, it has 4+4HT cores and Haswell tech.

If you don't need to do any encoding or rendering, the i5-4690K is a cheaper option.

May 23, 6:39 PM PT - someone deleted the user name column ...

We could restore it as all changes are save, but then all changes after May 23 probably would be lost (if there are any)

It looks like someone had frozen the Name column, and then someone dragged the Qty column all the way to the left; GDocs seems to get really angry about altering/inserting/shifting columns when they're frozen, so it overwrote instead of just moving the column. Moving the Qty column all over the place also destroyed the Statistics page.

I pulled the list of names from the pre-May 23rd revision history version, and was able to line it up with the current data (no new rows), and restore it. Then I fixed the Statistics queries (which fixed the Charts), and scrapped and re-built the Buyer Pivot, because it was angry, and refused to be resuscitated. I know my row is right, and celebrities like ANML, M4rk, and The_Cheese are correct, so I have at least some confidence that I managed not to just further hose it.

It honestly doesn't look like there have been any legitimate changes to the Buyers sheet since May (one guy added an updated link to his buildlog; one person in the US had their country overwritten by "fin"), but I was afraid a full restore might lose a lot more of the content in the other tabs that would be harder to spot.

Back