NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I've said this before, but there is a few Ebay sellers scalping on those PP05-e kits. That's where I got mine, almost double what Amazon wanted.

But Amazon being sold out didn't help me get my rig built... :(

For all those still looking for a cooler it looks like Newegg has 15% off most of their air coolers including all the Noctuas they stock. Also the C12-se14 fits the z87e-itx nicely.

I (and probably many others) got Amazon to PM that price, nice for those who would rather not use Newegg and can wait for stock to arrive.

ASRock H87M itx. I don't OC. The socket placement is a little higher than what's on the z87e, so I had to opt for this cooler as the larger Noctua coolers would interfere with the top panel.

Edit: For anyone who's wondering why I'm running an unlocked CPU on a motherboard that cannot take advantage of a K variant CPU, it's because the 4770K was available to me through Intel's Retail Edge Program for $100 USD. If I didn't have that available to me, I would probably purchase a non-K variant CPU lol

Cant blame you. If I was offered a 4770k for $100 I'd be all over it too. I bought mine last Summer while vacationing in Georgia near a Microcenter. I saved $90 off retail price. NE and Amazon cant/wont do that even during the holiday sales.

I've said this before, but there is a few Ebay sellers scalping on those PP05-e kits. That's where I got mine, almost double what Amazon wanted.

But Amazon being sold out didn't help me get my rig built... :(

I brought mine off ebay only place I could find a set over here they have increased the price since I brought mine maybe to slow down sales?

I paid 44 bucks with free shipping. When I looked again to post a link for some one on here looking for some they'd gone up to 48 a set. :rolleyes:

it might work but you the extra reservoir would have to be on the right (across from the sfx psu) and facing bottom (hopefully its longer than the sfx psu). so there is enough clearance.

thx for the fan controller links guys still deciding what I want.

bottom two 120mm will be intake fans for sure and so would the rear 120mm.

dual 120 fans on the h220 intake or out take. going for a positive air flow so I dont get too much dust in the case

http://www.moddiy.com/product_images/z/249/PWM_1-to-4_Splitter__94697_zoom.jpg[/I
PWN 1-To-4 Fan Splitter Cable

will this work on the onboard fan outlet ? I can increase fan speed with software if I increase fan speed on my asrock z87e-itx speed and it will increase the fans connected to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid 44 bucks with free shipping. When I looked again to post a link for some one on here looking for some they'd gone up to 48 a set. :rolleyes:

They started off at $32.89 USD thats what I paid 4 weeks back but I also had to pay shipping as im in the AU.

Does anyone know where I can get an extra "Side HDD cage"? The website didn’t have the option to add it.

Also was wondering if 2 Side HDD cages would fit (I saw a picture where 4 3.5Hard drives were attached to the side), I need it for my project that will fit 5 or 6 3.5 Hard Drives into a NCASE M1.

Does anyone know where I can get an extra "Side HDD cage"? The website didn’t have the option to add it.

Also was wondering if 2 Side HDD cages would fit (I saw a picture where 4 3.5Hard drives were attached to the side), I need it for my project that will fit 5 or 6 3.5 Hard Drives into a NCASE M1.

you can probably message necere or wahaha360 and ask if they will sell you any.

but using the case as a NAS does not do this case justice... ;)

thank you. that rules out a lot of new Radeon R9-series GPUs (not that they're easy to find these days anyway).

would the new Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X fit? i'm not sure if everybody is measuring the height of the card from the same place or not. the Sapphire video card is a bit taller than the standard bracket...

edit: it might fit, actually. it's quite a bit shorter than ASUS R9 290X DirectCU II:
290x-video-hookups-645x544.png

Last edited:
would the new Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X fit? i'm not sure if everybody is measuring the height of the card from the same place or not. the Sapphire video card is a bit taller than the standard bracket...

edit: it might fit, actually. it's quite a bit shorter than ASUS R9 290X DirectCU II:
290x-video-hookups-645x544.png

Yes it will fit the easy i posted this back on my build thread.

Space from the expansion slot to the side of the case is 34mm the PCB sticks out over the expansion slot 5mm leaving 29mm of space from the PCB to the side of the case. The waterblock sticks out 25mm from the cards PCB so that leaves 4mm of space.

Orderable, Stock Expected 1-18 Days

I was thinking of waiting for the MSI Z87i-GAMING-AC as I have a 5.1 stereo and want to be able to plug it in properly, I want AC wireless and I DON'T want audible hiss over the audio lines (Impact + SS SFX PSU)

The other option I'm looking at now is the GA-Z87N-WIFI and a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 to replace the existing wireless card.

Thoughts on this idea vs the MSI gaming board?

Might also have to look at my cooling again too. I wanted to use a Noctua NH-C14 but it blocks the pci slot on the Gigabyte apparently. No idea if it blocks on the MSI.

Maybe I use a riser cable to mount the GPU in the bottom 2 slots...

Last edited:
I was thinking of waiting for the MSI Z87i-GAMING-AC as I have a 5.1 stereo and want to be able to plug it in properly, I want AC wireless and I DON'T want audible hiss over the audio lines (Impact + SS SFX PSU)

The other option I'm looking at now is the GA-Z87N-WIFI and a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 to replace the existing wireless card.

Thoughts on this idea vs the MSI gaming board?

Might also have to look at my cooling again too. I wanted to use a Noctua NH-C14 but it blocks the pci slot on the Gigabyte apparently. No idea if it blocks on the MSI.

Maybe I use a riser cable to mount the GPU in the bottom 2 slots...

No hissing here only some people seem to have the problem, The MSI Z87i-GAMING-AC layout isn't a good match for the M1 at all just take that into mind.

I don't have the highest opinion of Asrock, I've seen 6 returns of their boards with bent pins out of the box in the last 2 days and (in Australia at least) their warranty policy is woeful.

Guys would a 240mm rad with fans be possible below a watercooled GPU? I saw a user named adamantium reporting that he uses 2 240mm rads with one at the bottom. Don't know if he/she runs it fanless though. This would be nice so you don't have the radiator in the way when you want to stare at your beautiful components.

Damn that swifttech! The H220X would have paired nicely with the full cover block or the Impact (if it actually fits)!

Can't comment on the audio quality of the MSI GAMING yet (been using my XFi-HD USB), but I'll install the drivers and do some comparison testing with speakers and headphones. As mentioned, the board layout is less than ideal. I'm waiting on HK post for my flat cable set so I'll do a full report on cable routing once I get them. I haven't bothered cabling up the USB, FP audio, etc yet. I'm hoping with some clever cable routing everything will be fine.

Other than that it's a nice board. The WiFI is great and I haven't had any issue with the Killer NIC (just .inf drivers). I'll do more in-depth testing of the NIC this weekend, I've been running 8/24hr stress tests all week and haven't had a chance to play.

Last edited:
Guys would a 240mm rad with fans be possible below a watercooled GPU? I saw a user named adamantium reporting that he uses 2 240mm rads with one at the bottom. Don't know if he/she runs it fanless though. This would be nice so you don't have the radiator in the way when you want to stare at your beautiful components.

Theres 45mm from the waterblock to the bottom of the case, So you could put a slim 240mm rad with slim line fans down there but i wouldn't run a full loop using a slim rad thats the only problem.

Last edited:
866 arrived in germany. thanks guys.

i startet building and mounted a 2,5" hdd ob the inside of the front with 3 of the screws with the rubber things. but there are only 5 (!) of theses screws, so i don't see how i mount my ssd on the outside of the front now as 2 of the screws are not enough and there are no holes to mount the ssd tightly.

what am i missing?

UPDATE: now just put tho of the rubber spacers into the mounts without screws. so, two diagonal screws are enough to hold the ssd in place

Last edited:
Hey Guys, another problem:
the holes for the mainboard have a smaller thread than usual but the Asus P8Z77-i has its own two screws for the extension board on the upside but they don't fit. the fitting screws that came with the case are far too short

the only fitting screws for the mainboard are far too short, just checked again. Does my case have the wrong threads?

The fitting screws are the ones with the same thread as 2,5" ssd's

Those of you who have received the FrozenQ res: Does it come with fittings? If not, what kind of fittings will I need to get? G1/4"? Their website doesn't appear to offer much (any?) information. Thanks!

Hey Guys, another problem:
the holes for the mainboard have a smaller thread than usual but the Asus P8Z77-i has its own two screws for the extension board on the upside but they don't fit. the fitting screws that came with the case are far too short

The P8Z77-I comes with two sets of long screws. One set will work. The set that I'd used in my Prodigy build (which was moved to the M1) did not work. I had to find the other set, which did fit.

EDIT: to clarify, the two sets I think are the same length but have different widths from what I can tell. The slimmer one worked.

okay crap, i don't have those or can't find them. Guess i'll take a trip to the hardware store tomorrow. The only thing in the package is another set of the long M3 screws but in black

Those of you who have received the FrozenQ res: Does it come with fittings? If not, what kind of fittings will I need to get? G1/4"? Their website doesn't appear to offer much (any?) information. Thanks!

Reservoirs normally don't come with fittings any more. Not for a few years now anyway. G1/4 is indeed the standard size for the PC water cooling industry.

so what motherboard should i get? i will be getting a 4770k, i plan on using an apogee 2 drive. i do not want gigabyte. i want the better wifi in the ac connection style.

asrock is looking good, any suggestions for or against it?

While my case might not have arrived yet, my patience for getting a new graphics card has run out. Does anyone know whether the Gigabyte R9-290 WindForce will fit? It seems to have some weird flappy thing on the side that serves no real purpose, that might get in the way.

I am having a difficult time mounting (2) iStar BPN-2535DE-SA hot swap cages into the 3.5" HDD cage (should mount the same as (2) HDDs I would think). Just seems loose with either the hot swap cages or HDDs. http://www.istarusa.com/istarusa/products_accessory.php?model=BPN-2535DE-SA

The hot swap cages will make it easier to swap out storage drives between my M1s and PC-Q25. I intend to upgrade my SATA 2.5" HDDs to 1TB SSDs as funds become available. Each iStar 2x 2.5" HDD to 1x 3.5" HDD backplane uses a single SATA power connector so I hope it will help to pull off some decent cable management.

So what am I doing wrong? I added the middle screw and grommet but it doesn't make much difference. still loose. I've been looking at the 3.5' HDD cage since Cheese 1st posted and It still doesn't make sense to me.

w9sn.jpg

3bms.jpg

If anyone has pics of a 3.5" HDD mounted (connectors facing down) in the 3.5" HDD cage I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
I am having a difficult time mounting (2) iStar BPN-2535DE-SA hot swap cages into the 3.5" HDD cage (should mount the same as (2) HDDs I would think). Just seems loose with either the hot swap cages or HDDs.
Do you have a spare 3.5" hard drive lying around? See if you can compare the mounting holes on the side of the hotswap cage with the ones on the hard drive. It looks like the distance between the holes may be different.

Back