NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

cznv,

Here's the side shot if you're still curious about the clearance:

EEdhFJZ.jpg

Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W Full-Size Image

bJYhkVN.jpg

Closeup with one of the crystal cube modular connectors plugged in

1850's. Totally silent when running anything under 12v. Even at full blast, it just has a bit of a "windy" sound vs the stock helix fans. Definitely much quieter, without a doubt.

The build is what I'd consider totally silent. Just the slightest little "tick" from the H220 pump. The psu fan is modded too

i just order like 10 gt 1850 because they are being discontinue lol

gonna put two on h220 and two on bottom as intake, still deciding where to make h220 fans as intake or not. does m1 come with fan filters? Haven't really look at mine just took it out and put it back in

yep, 4 screw in

thx

silverstone has fan filters too

bit cheaper than lian li but not sure how thick it is compare to lian li

PT-AF12-3B-01.jpg

Lian Li PT-AF12-3B

ff123b_-_120mm_silverstone_fan_filter_with_magnet_120mm_vents_or_fans.jpg

^magnet silverstone FF122B
120mm (W) x 120mm (H) x 1.5mm (D)

sst-ff122b_-_120mm_silverstone_with_cleanable_fan_filter_with_magnet.jpg

^magnet SST-FF122B
120 mm(W) x 120 mm(L) x 3 mm (D)

I think magnets will be great for the bottom 120mm because i can put it on the external of the case :D

sst-ff121_-_120mm_silverstone_fan_grille_and_filter_kit_for_all_makes_of_120mm_fan.jpg

120 mm(W) x 120 mm(H) x 4.68 mm (D)

its cheaper and I can get it locally in canada

http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?area=&tid=wh12_008

This article will discuss seldom known facts about fan filters used in computers and how you can use this knowledge to maintain consistently high cooling performance for your PC.
Nylon is a material that was commonly used during the Second World War where it was used to make tires, tents, ropes, parachutes…etc. Since 2007 SilverStone has been using nylon as the material of choice for its filters, cases such as the Sugo SG03 had a filter constructed with plastic frame and nylon net. Compare to the traditional cotton and plastic fan filters which are commonly used on low-end computer chassis’s, nylon filter offers less air resistance which is more suitable for fans that offer direct airflow.

Although nylon fan filters are more expensive and complicated to manufacture, we at SilverStone, insist on producing fan filters with nylon to provide the best balance of cooling and dust reduction performance. This choice reflects highly of our philosophy in creating the best possible user experience for our customers.

A:Cotton filter B: Plastic filter C: Nylon filter

Although they both appear to allow air to pass, a closer inspection using an enlarged photo clearly reveals that the proportion of open holes on the plastic filter are far smaller compared to the nylon filter.

Filter type and airflow rate

Remaining airflow
Cotton Filter 20%
Plastic Filter 41%
Nylon Filter 65%
The results in the above table were obtained by testing a SilverStone FN121 fan with different type of filters to determine their remaining airflow rate.

From the above table you can clearly see that both cotton and plastic fan filters offer more airflow resistance. If you are using either of these types of filters, we recommend you to purchase SilverStone’s Air Penetrator fans, which are designed to maintain good air pressure even when used with highly resistant air filters.
Maintenance:
To ensure optimal cooling performance, fan filters need to be cleaned regularly. So to make this process easier, we have constantly improved fan filter systems in our chassis over the years.
Method of Cleaning:

Cleaning with a brush
Fan filter can be cleaned using a soft brush. Please DO NOT use a steel brush as it will cause damage to the filter. We recommend you to wear a respirator when cleaning the fan filter to prevent inhaling unnecessary dust.

Cleaning using a vacuum cleaner
If it is difficult to remove the fan filter, cleaning with a vacuum cleaner is the best method. To prevent the vacuum cleaner from damaging the fan blades of the fan, please secure them before cleaning.

Cleaning with water
Washing the fan filter is the best way to clean the fan filter. After washing the fan filter with water, dry the filter at a well ventilated area out of direct sunlight.

DO NOT use a blow dryer, oven or microwave oven...etc to dry the fan filter. This will damage the fan filter.
If you feel the drying process is too time-consuming, we recommend you to keep a spare set of fan filter as backups. DO NOT reinstall the fan filter before it is fully dry, it may cause shortage or damage to other computer components.

Important notice:

Purchasing the fan filter
To purchase a retail fan filter as an upgrade or replacement in the event of loss, damage or simply as a backup, you can search on our website for the nearest distributor: http://www.silverstonetek.com/wheretobuy_all.php?area=en

Fan filter will expand when wet
The fan filter net is made of nylon which will expand in high humidity environment or after coming into contact with water. This is a normal phenomenon that will make the filter net look uneven or wrinkled. Once you allow the nylon filter to dry completely, it will contract and resume its

Last edited:
Picked up my case from usps today. Havent had the chance to really look at it yet but my quick glance before grocery shopping were all I needed to know this was money well spent.

Silver NCASE M1 made its way to Long Beach, CA. Got #0904.

The case looks beautiful in person and I luckily have no defects on the outside of the case from either the manufacturing process or the delivery (although I don't think I have an eye to find such subtle imperfections as other people). The inner side of the panels has some scuffs, but they obviously won't be seen when the build is assembled. I replaced the silver case feet with black ones and I'm loving the look of it.

The only bad thing I can say about the case is something that's been brought up a couple of times already: the flimsiness of the panels. I wonder if taking constantly taking off the panels from either the front or back end will cause the panel to go concave after a while. It's an extremely minor potential issue though.

It's been said a thousand times, but Necere and Wahaha360 deserve the praise for making this case a reality. Before I heard about the M1 back in February I spent months mulling over what case to do my ITX build with. Leave it to two dudes on a forum to outdo all PC companies in delivering the ultimate ITX case.

Finally finalized my final build list! Took a while, but it's looks good. :D

I'll be purchasing the parts within the next 2 months.

How's it looking? Any concerns?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Commander_/saved/3a9g

Any reason for going with the U9B over the C14? Just to save some money?

Also, I see that your getting the PP05-E cables. You can save $5 if you get them from Amazon. I know Amazon says their out of stock but I ordered mine from them and they shipped it 4 days after I purchased it. I think another person in this thread had the same experience.

I'm little bit late to the boat on this. I've only just heard of this chassis, but after doing a fair bit of reading it won me over. Is there any way to still get this case? I NEED it!

I'm little bit late to the boat on this. I've only just heard of this chassis, but after doing a fair bit of reading it won me over. Is there any way to still get this case? I NEED it!

eBay or the For Sale section is your only option for now.

:(:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

and still no frozenq res nor email replies....

adamantium you get yours res yet ?

Alex sent me one of the original prototypes, but I haven't ordered a finalized one yet. I have seen two people post that they have received theirs so far. I don't know if that is all that have been shipped or just all who care to post. I have sent a message to Alex asking for status. I will relay anything I receive.

Any reason for going with the U9B over the C14? Just to save some money?

Also, I see that your getting the PP05-E cables. You can save $5 if you get them from Amazon. I know Amazon says their out of stock but I ordered mine from them and they shipped it 4 days after I purchased it. I think another person in this thread had the same experience.

I was gonna go with the C14, but then after seeing a M1 build with the U9B, it won me over. I'd prefer having all the fans line up (two on the U9B and the exhaust). Something like this I have in mind: http://i.imgur.com/AH3fMjh.png

Some air would go into the PSU, then some would go to the U9B. A reasonable idea right? :D

why the 92mm fans? bigger fans push more air and is quieter :p

Why do you need pp05?

Since I'm mounting a 3.5" drive on the case floor, I'll be using one 92mm fan to feed the 770. Two more would be in a push-pull configuration on the U9B, and the last will be on the exhaust on the back.

Also the PP05-E cables will make my life easier when cable managing.

Please note: I don't care if it sounds like a jet in a box! My headphones are on 24/7 ;)

Last edited:
Also the PP05-E cables will make my life easier when cable managing.

Please note: I don't care if it sounds like a jet in a box! My headphones are on 24/7 ;)

450w cables
1 x 24 / 20-Pin motherboard connector(300mm)
1 x 8 / 4-Pin EPS / ATX 12V connector(400mm)
1 x 8/6-Pin PCIE connector(400mm)
1 x 6-Pin PCIE connector(400mm / 150mm)
3 x SATA connector(300mm / 200mm / 100mm)
2 x 4-Pin Peripheral connector (300mm / 200mm)
1 x 4-Pin Floppy connector(300mm / 200mm / 200mm)

pp05-e
1 x 20+4pin ATX connector (350mm)
1 x EPS/ATX12V 8pin(4+4) connector (350mm)
2 x PCI-E 8pin(6+2) connector (350mm)
2x PCI-E 8pin(6+2)+PCIE 6Pin Connector (350+50mm)
1 x two (2) SATA 90˚connectors (350+50mm)
1 x two (2) SATA 180˚connectors (300+150mm)
1 x two (2) 4pin +1 x Slimline SATA connectors (300+100+100mm)
1 x two (2) 4pin + floppy connectors (350+100+100mm)
1 x three (3) SATA 180˚ +1 x Slimline SATA connectors (300+150+150+150mm)

pp05
1 x 20+4pin ATX adapter (350mm)
1 x EPS/ATX12V 8pin(4+4) connector (350mm)
4 x PCI-E 8pin(6+2) connector (350mm)
1 x two (2) SATA 90˚connectors (350+50mm)
1 x two (2) SATA 180˚connectors (300+150mm)
1 x two (2) 4pin connectors (300+100mm)
1 x two (2) 4pin + floppy connectors (350+100+100mm)

the default 24pin is shorter, I still have some pp05 cables from my ST50F-P left

Why do you need pp05?

Though slightly longer than the stock ST45SF-G cables; routing and hiding their new thin cables should be infinitely easier to work with, and much nicer looking to boot.

Also the PP05-E set should be easier to shorten, since you can skip the sleeving step and still get nice looking results. For $25 it's a no brainer imo.

Here's Lemkeant's build using that set, which I could definitely live with..

OdPyNiAl.jpg

eBay or the For Sale section is your only option for now.

Surprisingly, bidding has actually been reasonable. Heck, if I had missed out on the IGG funding, I'd honestly be incredibly happy to score one on eBay for under $300.

I guess its better than 90 dollar cables from moddiy

Didn't say they were better than the custom ModDIY set, just better than the stock ST45SF-G cables. The ModDIY are really nice considering the price, though I kinda prefer the plain unsleeved black cables.. different strokes for different folks ;)

Alex sent me one of the original prototypes, but I haven't ordered a finalized one yet. I have seen two people post that they have received theirs so far. I don't know if that is all that have been shipped or just all who care to post. I have sent a message to Alex asking for status. I will relay anything I receive.

I have emailed them but go no reply last i heard it was being made that was a week ago i guess its Christmas so it will take longer than normal.

I guess its better than 90 dollar cables from moddiy

The PCI-e cable is missing its 6 pin so its useless.

Case #0051 arrived in UT on Friday. Post man didn't even try to deliver it. I had to wait until the next day to pick it up. The case is amazing! I have had thoughts of selling, but after seeing it, I couldn't part with it for anywhere near a fair price!
Computer is built with what I have so far:
Gigabyte z87 wifi mobo
Core i7 4770k
Stock cooler (cooler master glacier 240 coming soon!)
Crucial 16GB vlp 1600
Nvidia GTX 460 (I know, still working on a replacement)
Samsung 840 ssd for windows 8
500GB 2.5" HDD for data
80GB 3.5" HDD for OSX ( this will be replaced with ssd sometime after video card upgrade)
2x120mm no-name, non-pwm, really noisy fans (to be replaced by water cooler above)
1x80mm no-name fan on case bottom front slot.
Silverstone 450 modular SFX power supply.

The case is great to work with. This is my first SFF build but I have built multiple mATX and ATX machines. Be careful because the black paint on the inside can scratch!

Thank you Necere Wahaha et all, this case is amazing!

Case #0051 arrived in UT on Friday. Post man didn't even try to deliver it. I had to wait until the next day to pick it up. The case is amazing! I have had thoughts of selling, but after seeing it, I couldn't part with it for anywhere near a fair price!
Computer is built with what I have so far:
Gigabyte z87 wifi mobo
Core i7 4770k
Stock cooler (cooler master glacier 240 coming soon!)
Crucial 16GB vlp 1600
Nvidia GTX 460 (I know, still working on a replacement)
Samsung 840 ssd for windows 8
500GB 2.5" HDD for data
80GB 3.5" HDD for OSX ( this will be replaced with ssd sometime after video card upgrade)
2x120mm no-name, non-pwm, really noisy fans (to be replaced by water cooler above)
1x80mm no-name fan on case bottom front slot.
Silverstone 450 modular SFX power supply.

The case is great to work with. This is my first SFF build but I have built multiple mATX and ATX machines. Be careful because the black paint on the inside can scratch!

Thank you Necere Wahaha et all, this case is amazing!

The black paint every where can scratch apart from the panels so even putting fans on the bottom will kill the paint washers should of been sent along with the screws for those who like there cases in mint condition.

The black paint every where can scratch apart from the panels so even putting fans on the bottom will kill the paint washers should of been sent along with the screws for those who like there cases in mint condition.

dude, do you really have to have complain about everything?

My first build went for the u9b to respect the airflow pathways however I had a non blower gpu and it suffered under gpu load. When the gpu is not loaded, it's performance was sufficient but nothing spectacular. With sufficient fan power where noise is no concern. The u9B will be satisfactory for mild overclocking. I would strongly recommend gentle typhoon 92mm fans if you can acquire them. I got significantly more airflow and better temps over the noctua fans. The noctua fans had insufficient static pressure to be as effective as it could be.

The c14 I now have is significantly better a performer. Noise to thermal delta ratio is significantly improved, but even if noise is irrelevant, the temperatures and overclocking overhead is not something to be ignored if you have the option for the c14. This means your not needing the side panel HDD and have the budgetary allowance for it. I've ended up buying both coolers but do not regret the change.

Last edited:
My first build went for the u9b to respect the airflow pathways however I had a non blower gpu and it suffered under gpu load. When the gpu is not loaded, it's performance was sufficient but nothing spectacular. With sufficient fan power where noise is no concern. The u9B will be satisfactory for mild overclocking. I would strongly recommend gentle typhoon 92mm fans if you can acquire them. I got significantly more airflow and better temps over the noctua fans. The noctua fans had insufficient static pressure to be as effective as it could be.

The c14 I now have is significantly better a performer. Noise to thermal delta ratio is significantly improved, but even if noise is irrelevant, the temperatures and overclocking overhead is not something to be ignored if you have the option for the c14. This means your not needing the side panel HDD and have the budgetary allowance for it. I've ended up buying both coolers but do not regret the change.

Good to hear your builds working out man :)

ModDiy cables are custom made, you can ask for the PCIe to have 6 pin, 8 pin, 8+6 pin or 6+2+6 pin whatever you need for your rig. Those pictures are just examples.

Here is 8+6 pin http://www.overclock.net/t/1386655/completed-c-o-m-p-a-c-t-s-p-l-a-s-h-0-0-8/20#post_19929186

Arr that's understandable i just thought they where pre-made that was all.

I was going to use my H100i fans on my new rad instead of buying some Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition because of the stats what do you guys think ? i heard they where meant to be the same fan but looks like there better ?

Untitled_1.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to use my H100i fans on my new rad instead of buying some Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition because of the stats what do you guys think ? i heard they where meant to be the same fan but looks like there better ?

Manufacturer stats are generally useless for fans that are used on radiators, because they only show the extremes of the measurements, rather than an actual curve.

The static pressure is measured at 0 airflow, and the airflow is measured at 0 resistance. On a radiator the resistance will fall somewhere in the middle.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/02...w-specs-are-poor-measures-of-fan-performance/

#687 arrived safely here in Seattle. Attempted delivery on the 24th, but I was out of town, so I picked it up from USPS.

I'm loving this case, sooo slick. I've mostly completed my build, pretty much the same setup as the watercooled configuration 4 but with a different gpu/cpu. Needless to say, my first experience with watercooling and small form factor cases has been interesting. I still have some cable management to do and a little more H220 bleeding, but at the end of the day (and part of this morning) I'm super happy with how it turned out.

Thanks Necere & wahaha360!!

I have both. I have two pairs of H80i/H100i fans and a pair of SP120 high performance edition fans. The ones that ship with the H80i/H100i are rated at 0.36amps and the SP120 HP edition are rated at 0.25 amps. The blades look exactly the same so the only diference ( in regards to performance ) should be in their motor.

#443 arrived in perfect condition to NY. Hurrah! Now, I hope I can figure out how everything goes together.
Thank you very much to this entire community and especially Necere and Waha360

My beautiful M1 is currently up and running. With an awful DSL connection, I've been downloading games on steam for literally 4 days straight.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage (OS): Crucial M500 120GB mSATA Solid State Disk
Storage (Steam Games): Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage (misc): Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)
Monitor: Dell U2713HM 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Case: NCase M1
ODD: Panasonic Slot Load Blu Ray Burner

For cooling, I had bought a Noctua C12 and an H220, but returned both because I was just too intimidated, so I'm sticking with the intel heatsink & fan for now. If anyone has suggestions for improvements over the retail heatsink & fan that's both simple and small, I'll definitely keep it in mind for future tweaks. **EDIT** thinking about this EVGA CPU Cooler...might fit the bill.

I don't have any case fans installed. Literally didn't occur to me that I needed to buy some. I guess i'm used to cases that come with 1 or 2, with the option to add more on your own (I never did). I've hopefully demonstrated my ignorance with respect to cooling by now, so would love any recommendations for both the 92mm fan on the bottom and adding 2x120mm fans to the side (thinking about Corsair SP120s on the side and Noctua NF-A9x14 on the bottom??).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Though slightly longer than the stock ST45SF-G cables; routing and hiding their new thin cables should be infinitely easier to work with, and much nicer looking to boot.

Also the PP05-E set should be easier to shorten, since you can skip the sleeving step and still get nice looking results. For $25 it's a no brainer imo.

Here's Lemkeant's build using that set, which I could definitely live with..

OdPyNiAl.jpg

Yeah, cable management is basically non existent with this. I pinned the 24 pin and the 8 pin mb cables between the psu and the mb.

This shows it a bit better. Although I dont have the usb front header installed yet in this pic

hxV5FaAl.jpg

Problem is, there's pretty much no room behind the mb and the side panels to close the panels. So you must have the flat cables in order to possibly be able to get the side panel closed

If I've got 2 120mm fans on the side, and a single 92mm PWM fan on the bottom (next to a 3.5 HDD)...how should they be set up in terms of exhaust/intake?

@warden182,

I believe the 2x 120mm fans should both be intake (mine are set like that), and the bottom fan should be intake also, basically it's sucking cool air from the bottom of pushing it to the GPU. The only fan that should be exhaust if I'm not mistaken is the 92mm rear fan.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken

Thanks Nivaku, for some reason a rear fan hadn't even occurred to me (actually, given that I hadn't really thought about fans in general it's less surprising).

Just home from vacation, and found my M1's (one black and one silver). They were delivered in LA on the 30th. Haven't had any time too look at them, except to see I have both colours and they're not damaged.

Oh and the case numbers are 0215 & 0814

Last edited:
I got a response from Alex at FrozenQ on the reservoirs. It sounds like things are starting to get back to normal. He says that the first run was finished and shipped over the course of the last two weeks, and that if anyone hasn't received theirs yet, it could be due to the holidays. He says that 95% of the orders placed in the first batch chose USPS as their shipping option instead of UPS, hence the delays during the holidays. (as we have seen with the cases)

The second run is currently being machined. He says they are looking to ship that run by Friday of next week, and that should complete all of the orders placed so far. He will have about 10 extra available from that run for additional orders. If he needs to do another run in the future he can do that too.

Steve will be working to get back online in order to answer questions and provide support.

Back