NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I have a Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5 motherboard coming. It looks like this.

20150821142253_big.png

My questions is.. will the Be Quiet Dark Rock TF fit this board without any issues? I have low profile DDR4 on the way too.

be-quiet-Dark-Rock-TF-19.jpg

If not. What other air cooler do you recommend for this motherboard? I am using a 6600K and not overclocking. Also.. does anyone know the maximum height air cooler I can use with the M1?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5 motherboard coming. It looks like this.

20150821142253_big.png

My questions is.. will the Be Quiet Dark Rock TF fit this board without any issues? I have low profile DDR4 on the way too.

be-quiet-Dark-Rock-TF-19.jpg

If not. What other air cooler do you recommend for this motherboard? I am using a 6600K and not overclocking. Also.. does anyone know the maximum height air cooler I can use with the M1?

Thanks.
It fits the board, take a look at my build a few posts back for pics. It's pretty tight but it went in the case with no real problems and it does a fantastic job of cooling. If you're going air cooling I'd recommend it.

Word of the wise. When you install the cooler to the mobo make sure the first corner you start threading the bolt on is the bracket screw near the mobo's chipset heat pipe, otherwise you'll be in for a world of aggravation if you start the other nuts first.

It fits the board, take a look at my build a few posts back for pics. It's pretty tight but it went in the case with no real problems and it does a fantastic job of cooling. If you're going air cooling I'd recommend it.

Word of the wise. When you install the cooler to the mobo make sure the first corner you start threading the bolt on is the bracket screw near the mobo's chipset heat pipe, otherwise you'll be in for a world of aggravation if you start the other nuts first.

Other thing to look out for is the USB3 header. I'm stripping the existing USB3 cable the M1 comes with to put a low-profile connector on, as it doesn't fit due to the heatpipes. That's if you install the TF with the longer heatpipes towards the top of the case. Everything else fits fine, if a bit of a squeeze. I didn't try the other combinations with the TF actually attached as mounting it this way made the most sense to me.

Other thing to look out for is the USB3 header. I'm stripping the existing USB3 cable the M1 comes with to put a low-profile connector on, as it doesn't fit due to the heatpipes. That's if you install the TF with the longer heatpipes towards the top of the case. Everything else fits fine, if a bit of a squeeze. I didn't try the other combinations with the TF actually attached as mounting it this way made the most sense to me.
I'll admit I screwed up the USB header trying to install the cable after the cooler was already on. I was doing this really late at night and I was too tired and impatient to plan the assembly step by step ahead of time and that's something you really need to do when working with such a small case. I'm handy with a solder though so it's no big deal. Can you link me to that low profile USB header?

I'll admit I screwed up the USB header trying to install the cable after the cooler was already on. I was doing this really late at night and I was too tired and impatient to plan the assembly step by step ahead of time and that's something you really need to do when working with such a small case. I'm handy with a solder though so it's no big deal. Can you link me to that low profile USB header?

Here's an example of the piece I'm looking at: 2.0mm Dupont 20-Pin USB 3.0 Housing Female Connector

Figured I'd strip the existing USB 3 cable, and use this connector, as the cable is overly long as is. Should work fine. If not, moddiy also has a low profile adapter.

Here's an example of the piece I'm looking at: 2.0mm Dupont 20-Pin USB 3.0 Housing Female Connector

Figured I'd strip the existing USB 3 cable, and use this connector, as the cable is overly long as is. Should work fine. If not, moddiy also has a low profile adapter.
Ah so you're planning on modding the cable and not the header on the board. I was looking at right angle mobo headers but moddiy was the only place I could find that had them. Unfortunately they ship from China which takes a while and the shipping is relatively expensive.

Ah so you're planning on modding the cable and not the header on the board. I was looking at right angle mobo headers but moddiy was the only place I could find that had them. Unfortunately they ship from China which takes a while and the shipping is relatively expensive.

I was worried about right angle for some reason, although I'd have to open the case up and stare at it for a minute to remember why. Maybe because of how tall the USB3 connector is, and touching the GPU? Or some other item on the board... So I dismissed using a right angle adapter. Beyond modding the cable, I'd go with the low profile extension, but that cable really doesn't need an extra 10cm or however long the extension is.

I was worried about right angle for some reason, although I'd have to open the case up and stare at it for a minute to remember why. Maybe because of how tall the USB3 connector is, and touching the GPU? Or some other item on the board... So I dismissed using a right angle adapter. Beyond modding the cable, I'd go with the low profile extension, but that cable really doesn't need an extra 10cm or however long the extension is.
You can always splice the low profile onto the front panel cable so it doesn't get too long. My pins aren't salvageable so it'd kill two birds with one stone to go with the right angle but the chipset heat pipe might cause clearance issues so I'll have to measure it out first. I'm also probably going to recable and resleeve all my front panel cables and maybe the fan cables since I'm already making some custom psu cables.

Thanks for the input guys. Still researching a cooler for this Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5 board. I think the Dark Rock TF is out of the question since i'm going to be cuttting a side window on my panel and replacing it with plexiglass. So no more air vents there. My contenders are:

Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP: be quiet! Virtually Inaudible Hardware

Cryorig C7: CRYORIG | C7

Noctua NH-L9x65.. but with a different fan cuz I hate the color.. any 92mm fan recommendations?: NH-L9x65

(on a side note: Is there a way to search within a thread? This thread is HUGE and searching it would make things a lot easier)

Thanks for the input guys. Still researching a cooler for this Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5 board. I think the Dark Rock TF is out of the question since i'm going to be cuttting a side window on my panel and replacing it with plexiglass. So no more air vents there. My contenders are:

Noctua NH-L9x65.. but with a different fan cuz I hate the color.. any 92mm fan recommendations?: NH-L9x65

(on a side note: Is there a way to search within a thread? This thread is HUGE and searching it would make things a lot easier)

When you're in the thread, and click search at the top, it defaults to "search within thread"

Don't expect to be doing much overclocking with those coolers.

If you're going to do a side panel I'd recommend going the water cooling route because the loss of the side vent will definitely kill the airflow in the case. I find water cooling to be a lot easier because you don't have to worry about clearances and blocked headers on the mobo, just take it slow when removing the gpu shroud and the rest is easy.

When you're in the thread, and click search at the top, it defaults to "search within thread"

thanks!

Don't expect to be doing much overclocking with those coolers.

If you're going to do a side panel I'd recommend going the water cooling route because the loss of the side vent will definitely kill the airflow in the case. I find water cooling to be a lot easier because you don't have to worry about clearances and blocked headers on the mobo, just take it slow when removing the gpu shroud and the rest is easy.

no.. i'm keeping it stock speed. But besides watercooling.. what other coolers do you recommend for the Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5 board?

Last edited:
I understand that the case supports a slot loading optical drive. Does it support a 9.5 mm, 12.7 mm, or both sizes? Does anyone have any personal recommendations on drives? I'm open to a dvd or blu ray.
I've got a 12.7mm ODD but I've seen a build with a 9.5mm (Panasonic U272).

A few here have reported using the Noctua NH-U9S, smaller 92 mm fan based heatsink that was released last year. It comes with one NF-A9 PWM 92 mm fan that is the normal 25 mm in thickness. Two sets of fan clips are provided so you could easily use any other 2 fans you like. Noctua also sells the NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM, a black and grey 92 mm fan that spins a bit slower and with less static pressure than the NF-A9, so I would use two of those.

anyone else that pre-ordered before 5-21-2016 have an idea when the tracking #'s will be shipped out?

anyone else that pre-ordered before 5-21-2016 have an idea when the tracking #'s will be shipped out?

This is the email I got

Thank you again for supporting the NCASE project!

For M1 order(s), we are preparing now for Taiwan Postal Service to ship between 2016 MAY 25 to MAY 27.

Post shipping, tracking numbers are provided to us about one week later. As a result, there is a delay getting your tracking number after shipping. To that end, the current estimated date for getting the tracking number(s) is before JUN 1.

This email is meant to confirm your order and address again. You don’t have to respond to this email if everything is correct, but if something is wrong, email us ASAP!

This is the email I got

Thank you again for supporting the NCASE project!

For M1 order(s), we are preparing now for Taiwan Postal Service to ship between 2016 MAY 25 to MAY 27.

Post shipping, tracking numbers are provided to us about one week later. As a result, there is a delay getting your tracking number after shipping. To that end, the current estimated date for getting the tracking number(s) is before JUN 1.

This email is meant to confirm your order and address again. You don’t have to respond to this email if everything is correct, but if something is wrong, email us ASAP!

I was on the May 11th shipment, I got my tracking info on the 14th.

one more quick question. Is the inner chassis/frame still painted black? Or have they switch to anodized black now?
The interior is still painted. We inquired about full anodizing before the first run, but it would've added too much cost.

I understand that the case supports a slot loading optical drive. Does it support a 9.5 mm, 12.7 mm, or both sizes? Does anyone have any personal recommendations on drives? I'm open to a dvd or blu ray.

I've got a 12.7mm ODD but I've seen a build with a 9.5mm (Panasonic U272).
It's designed for 12.7mm thick drives. 9.5mm drives have different dimensions and won't work.

Here's mah new v5 build. Pretty standard stuff. I had a question about my temps though. Playing Witcher 3 on an ultrawide at 1080 I'm getting high 50s to low 60s on the CPU and the GPU sits pretty consistently at 70 degrees. Are these temps acceptable? CPU is a 4590.

I think it's a little on the hot side so I ordered another 92mm for the CPU cooler and I plan on buying another NF-F12 for the GPU because one is an S12 which isn't really meant for heatsinks. Doubt that will make much of a difference but I'd feel better if the CPU stayed closer to 55.

rlLz1ek.jpg

Someone on the last page said adding ducts to the GPU would help with temps. Could someone explain this in more detail or tell me what page it's on? I don't get how the airflow is supposed to work.

why are you using the side bracket if you aren't using a radiator on it?

Reactions: BST4R
like this
How long does shipping usually take to the US? I am in NYC and should have mine shipped on the next batch. Hopefully I'll be able to build my rig within two weeks of that.

How long does shipping usually take to the US? I am in NYC and should have mine shipped on the next batch. Hopefully I'll be able to build my rig within two weeks of that.

Did you order before 5-21-2016 12am per the website? I ordered mine on the 16th of May I think and my payment cleared on the 19th or something, so jelly waiting for the case lol, have a shitty coolermaster elite 130 which I couldn't even put my noctua u9dxi4 on because no room.

Let me know if you get any info.

Mine shipped on May 11 and I got it on May 17 in Washington state.

I'm also in NYC. Mine shipped out the 13th and I got it the 18th so around 5 days if you chose tier 1 air shipping.

Radiator of giga 980ti water force can be mounted on the right after mounting Dark rock tf? My mabo is asrock z170 gaming-itx/ac.

I am planning to install a Geforce 1080. Normally I go with the reference cooler on a SFF case, but it seems like the reference cooler on the 1080 Founders Edition is not only an extra $100, but has inadequate power delivery and cooling.

My plan was to use the reference blower card to dump GPU air outside the case, and a Corsair H100i v2 for the CPU, dumping the hot CPU air into the case, and positive air pressure as passive exhaust. No extra fans needed. This is tried and true. But it seems like an open blower third party Geforce 1080 will probably be putting way too much hot air inside such a small case. Anyone has any suggestions as to go about this?

Last edited:
I am planning to install a Geforce 1080. Normally I go with the reference cooler on a SFF case, but it seems like the reference cooler on the 1080 Founders Edition is not only an extra $100, but has inadequate power delivery and cooling.

Why do you say it's inadequate? The 1080 uses less power thus less heat.

From preliminary reviews it seems that the cards are not getting enough power or enough cooling, so after about 10 minutes they start throttling under the turbo-boost goal, let alone any overclocking speed. The reference PCB has an open space for a VRM which NVIDIA decided not to populate and the cards are suffering from it. The Founders Edition cooler has also been altered from previous generation blowers and is not providing enough cooling, even though this chip is producing less heat.

Wow, I almost bought a 9.5. Hope Shartmachine reads this in time! Apologies.

Just tell people to buy the Silverstone model. Its a rebadged Panasonic. In fact in the manual data sheet that comes in the box it even says its a Panasonic. At least mine did.

My plan was to use the reference blower card to dump GPU air outside the case, and a Corsair H100i v2 for the CPU, dumping the hot CPU air into the case, and positive air pressure as passive exhaust. No extra fans needed. This is tried and true. But it seems like an open blower third party Geforce 1080 will probably be putting way too much hot air inside such a small case. Anyone has any suggestions as to go about this?

I am currently going through the same issue. From the reviews I have read thermal throttling isn't actually much of an issue if you manually adjust the fan curve. Some of the reviews I have read show the 1080 stable with an overclock of around 2050 with the fan at 100% and temps below 70 C. This isn't really bad at all. I'm sure you can adjust the fan curve and have the fan max out at about 70% and still achieve a decent overclock. That being said the card definitely has power constraints. I am personally going to wait a few weeks and see what comes out. If they release a hybrid version or something like that with more than the 8 pin plug that could be an option. Either that or go with a regular fan cooler and put some ducting in the bottom of the case and hope for the best!

I am currently going through the same issue. From the reviews I have read thermal throttling isn't actually much of an issue if you manually adjust the fan curve. Some of the reviews I have read show the 1080 stable with an overclock of around 2050 with the fan at 100% and temps below 70 C. This isn't really bad at all. I'm sure you can adjust the fan curve and have the fan max out at about 70% and still achieve a decent overclock. That being said the card definitely has power constraints. I am personally going to wait a few weeks and see what comes out. If they release a hybrid version or something like that with more than the 8 pin plug that could be an option. Either that or go with a regular fan cooler and put some ducting in the bottom of the case and hope for the best!

I am holding off on my v5 build for the 1080 due to these very same reasons. There seems to be some obvious issues which may or may not be corrected later. Working with such a small space planning out thermal loads is a priority for me as this is my first SFF machine.

Here's mah new v5 build. Pretty standard stuff. I had a question about my temps though. Playing Witcher 3 on an ultrawide at 1080 I'm getting high 50s to low 60s on the CPU and the GPU sits pretty consistently at 70 degrees. Are these temps acceptable? CPU is a 4590.

I think it's a little on the hot side so I ordered another 92mm for the CPU cooler and I plan on buying another NF-F12 for the GPU because one is an S12 which isn't really meant for heatsinks. Doubt that will make much of a difference but I'd feel better if the CPU stayed closer to 55.

rlLz1ek.jpg

Someone on the last page said adding ducts to the GPU would help with temps. Could someone explain this in more detail or tell me what page it's on? I don't get how the airflow is supposed to work.

Is this GPU fitting for you Properly that heat pipe on the Video card is not touching the side ?

SO what GPU are you guys getting? Anyone opting for a non-reference 1080?

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, the Founders Edition 1080 seems to have issues. On the other hand, I am wary of having an open air cooler dumping a lot of heat into the small case...

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, the Founders Edition 1080 seems to have issues. On the other hand, I am wary of having an open air cooler dumping a lot of heat into the small case...

I was getting the gtx1080 founders specifically for my NCASE build and now I'm a bit paranoid too after reading the reviews.

Is anyone actually considering getting a non-reference GTX1080 for their SFF case build?

Back