NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Thanks Necere. I cannot wait for V3 :)

@Synomenon
This is what Necere wrote a few pages before.
Necere said:
1. Addition of braces at the bottom corners to mitigate wobbling.
2. Minor changes to the side panels (discussed a bit already).
3. Extra QC for both the above.

We're looking at opening orders mid-November, with shipments starting mid-December.

The new batch will be V3? Can you post a image with the new changes?
I can't wait for order my NCASE, can you open the preorder starting november? I know many users want it.

Better yet, just come up with good-sounding-but-meaningless specificaitons. And lots of them.

5. Now with 125% higher quality aluminum brushstrokes for a luxurious finish!
6. Awarded a Deiganstal score of 97 -- the highest in its category!
7. I/O cabling coated with "UltraFlex" thermoplastic polymer!
8. EasySwap power and HDD headers allow for unparalleled customization of all lighting in the case!

Lol@Phuncz & Phoenix

The new batch will be V3? Can you post a image with the new changes?
I can't wait for order my NCASE, can you open the preorder starting november? I know many users want it.
Yes the new batch will be V3. The only visibly change is the corner braces, and those aren't very interesting.

We'll open preorders as soon as it makes sense to. Currently that means mid-November.

Better yet, just come up with good-sounding-but-meaningless specificaitons. And lots of them.

5. Now with 125% higher quality aluminum brushstrokes for a luxurious finish!
6. Awarded a Deiganstal score of 97 -- the highest in its category!
7. I/O cabling coated with "UltraFlex" thermoplastic polymer!
8. EasySwap power and HDD headers allow for unparalleled customization of all lighting in the case!

The V3 will have the same cost as the V2?

Yes the new batch will be V3. The only visibly change is the corner braces, and those aren't very interesting.

We'll open preorders as soon as it makes sense to. Currently that means mid-November.

I'll waiting for the preorder and updates

The case is the same, however, the stand is not practical for production, just something cool.

So you guys are/were considering a riser stand for the M1?

I think a full aluminum floating stand, similar to the LRPC version, would be a pretty cool add-on if it was almost double the height of the current M1 feet, and could easily screw into the existing M1 v1, v2 and v3 (maybe attached where the feet were) without blocking too much.

For $20 to $30, I'd probably buy one just to try out if it looked nice.

EDIT: Ah, see that it was intended for the LRPC. Still think an M1 riser would be kinda cool :)

I'm just about to order the parts for mine and have decided to go the air-cooled route rather than the AIO or custom loop method and use the Noctua NH-C14.

I'm going for a GTX980 and fancied buying the EVGA 980 SuperClocked but it vents into the case rather than outwards - do you think this will be enough of an issue to warrant just buying a ref blower card?

I'm going for a GTX980 and fancied buying the EVGA 980 SuperClocked but it vents into the case rather than outwards - do you think this will be enough of an issue to warrant just buying a ref blower card?

EVGA does make a 980 Superclocked in a blower style..

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2982-KR

Unfortunately, the MSRP on that model jumped $60 since launch.

EDIT: And it's hard to find in-stock. Directron has them right now for $585 ($650 less 10% for first-time customers).

EVGA does make a 980 Superclocked in a blower style..

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2982-KR

Unfortunately, the MSRP on that model jumped $60 since launch.

EDIT: And it's hard to find in-stock. Directron has them right now for $585 ($650 less 10% for first-time customers).

Awesome - thanks for posting, I was certain I had saw one before but all the pictures showed the non-ref cooler and I thought I was going insane.

Either one is going to be a MASSIVE saving to me, I'm in the UK but getting one from the US since it's significantly cheaper.

I've only got the case at the moment, waiting for some money to clear into my account before I drop a bunch on it, hopefully there are a few more in stock by the time I order.

Edit: Might even go for another manufacturer or just the ref card if I have to.

You wouldn't be able to measure any improvement. It takes something like 30 right-angle fittings to give as much restriction as a waterblock. And even then, your pump is plenty strong enough to overcome the restriction.

Thanks wisk, so modifying my runs to be shorted wouldn't have a huge impact on performance as well right?

Does any one sell the 2.5" drive stacking brackets or something similar? Unfortunately, the m1 v3 will be too late for my build, but I can't find a similar bracket anywhere.

For any of the twin frozr owners out there, are you able to close your case? I recently swapped out my reference and got a msi twin frozr 980 but the case can't seem to stay closed since the 8 pine connectors are too stiff on the sx600 and budge out. I'm thinking of buying custom cables but I'm not entirely sure if that'll help the issue.

how bad is it? any pics? I'd thought since the MSI's 970 fit fine I wouldn't have any problem jumping on a MSI 980. But reading your post just made me realize the power connectors on the 970 are recessed behind the shroud while the 980's power connectors are more or less flush with the edge of the shroud and heatpipes.. would it be enough to sand off a couple millimeters of the plastic on the male end of the pins so the wires can bend closer to the card?

Last edited:
tried to order one of these cases yesterday

but says

''currently not available''

day before that it was letting me buy one

im guessing your getting ready for v3? if so I might aswell wait :p

just a quick question will a titan Z fit in this case?

just a quick question will a titan Z fit in this case?

1. As far as I can tell it should Physically fit.
2. From reviews, system power draw should be below 600W, but with very little headroom so the SX-600G from Silverstone which is the most powerful SFX PSU right now should be able to power it.

This means that theoretically it should fit but why would you even consider it?

Unless you already own one, the 980 is a third of the price and perform better.

1. As far as I can tell it should Physically fit.
2. From reviews, system power draw should be below 600W, but with very little headroom so the SX-600G from Silverstone which is the most powerful SFX PSU right now should be able to power it.

This means that theoretically it should fit but why would you even consider it?

Unless you already own one, the 980 is a third of the price and perform better.

thats good to know, yeah the silverstone 600w will have to do, even though it really isnt worth the price from reviews ive seen about components used in it.

the gtx titan z I managed to get for £899 with free borderlands game

the gtx 980 is around £429-600 so the titan z is already cheaper in that respect & only uses 1 slot, also has more ram, will probably have better resale & 99% of reviews of it is @ stock which is only 705mhz, these can hit 1200mhz each core on stock cooling which will see off gtx 980 sli imo

;)

The 780DCII-OC and Phanteks PH-TC14CS does fit with a SX-600G?
Please check the specs on the manufacturer websites and compare them to the maximum dimensions listed in the 'compatibility' section on our site. That GPU and CPU cooler are both too tall for the M1.

Please check the specs on the manufacturer websites and compare them to the maximum dimensions listed in the 'compatibility' section on our site. That GPU and CPU cooler are both too tall for the M1.

The page says the M1 support 130mm headskins but i don't know if with or without fan on the side

Thanks, another thing, some headskin that you know fit and you recommend?
It very much depends on your motherboard. If you want to use a heatsink that is larger than the socket (i.e., larger than 92mm fan size), you need a board with a centrally-located socket. This restricts you to mostly ASUS boards.

If you want a larger heatsink, the Noctua NH-C12 is a decent choice. You could also use the NH-C14, but it will prevent the use of the side 3.5" HDD cage, and can only be used with one of its two 140mm fans (though you can still use a 120mm fan on the underside). The Scythe Kabuto 2 is another large heatsink a few people have as an alternative to the C14, that still allows for the HDD cage to be used.

I'd advise you to take a look at the build threads, gallery, and google docs spreadsheet to get ideas for your build.

thats good to know, yeah the silverstone 600w will have to do, even though it really isnt worth the price from reviews ive seen about components used in it.

the gtx titan z I managed to get for £899 with free borderlands game

the gtx 980 is around £429-600 so the titan z is already cheaper in that respect & only uses 1 slot, also has more ram, will probably have better resale & 99% of reviews of it is @ stock which is only 705mhz, these can hit 1200mhz each core on stock cooling which will see off gtx 980 sli imo

;)

Ah, if you already have it then no use replacing it.
Regarding the SX600-G you are kind of right in the sense that an atx psu will be a much better choice in all sirustions where it fits. In this case it won't :) You do pay a premium for the size.
If you do cram a titan z in powered by a 600w psu, you won't have the extra juice to overclock. A 980 on the other hand has a lot of headroom and overclocks really well according to reviews.
I don't think anyone has put a titan z in an M1 yet, so if you do try, I think it would be a first.

Don't mean to cross-post, but I'm not sure if this issue is with the USB ports on the M1 or the header on my Maximus VII Impact.

One of my front USB3.0 ports / port 1 (the one on the left when looking at the front of the case head-on) runs at USB3.0 speeds and the other port (port 2) runs at about half the speed.

The flash drive I'm using is a Patriot PSF32GTAB3USB:
http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodline=7&catid=99&prodgroupid=252&id=1373

OikZXwO.jpg
s5FFTJF.jpg

Patriot PSF32GTAB3USB Port 1 - CrystalDisk Mark-----------------------------Patriot PSF32GTAB3USB Port 2 - CrystalDisk Mark

SPHSEMR.jpg
CWX7Zk4.jpg

Patriot PSF32GTAB3USB Port 1 - SpeedOut-----------------------Patriot PSF32GTAB3USB Port 2 - SpeedOut

Wait didn't Malik use a Phanteks PH-TC14CS with a standard 25mm thick fan?

modding-malik-m1-01_t.jpg

Hello,

is there a reason why the case is currently unavailable to purchase at this time?

thanks!
Yes: we have no inventory at this time. We're actually planning to skip the month-long pre-order phase this time and go straight to the next production run, but it is taking a little time to set that up (thanks in part to Paypal being difficult about releasing funds).

Yes: we have no inventory at this time. We're actually planning to skip the month-long pre-order phase this time and go straight to the next production run, but it is taking a little time to set that up (thanks in part to Paypal being difficult about releasing funds).

ok thanks for the info, ill wait for the v3 preorder :)

was so close to ordering a caselab s3 but this case does appeal to me more as its tiny!

:p

Wait didn't Malik use a Phanteks PH-TC14CS with a standard 25mm thick fan?
It looks like he did. Based on my measurements, without the fan bracket in place, there is almost exactly 137mm to the side panel, which, incidentally, is also the the height of the PH-TC14CS (112mm) with a 25mm thick fan. So I'll amend my statement: it won't fit with the stock fans; with thinner fans, it may fit.

Back