NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

I haven't heard of anyone whose case was uneven once it was populated. Everyone who has mentioned wobble thus far said it went away when there were components in the case.

Mine is loaded up and still has a slight wobble (like the rear-left foot is shorter). I physically have to push the case towards that corner to notice it, though.. it's not like the case just sits there teetering all day :D

I'm going to try adding a plastic washer whenever I get around to swapping out my feet, and see if that helps any. Who knows.. my desk is all hardwood, and might be warped.

Afaik, this is a issue for V2, so far a few people have email me about this. Lian Li will get back to us about this.

I don't suppose offering V2 owners a set of the V1 feet is possible? Would it be too expensive? They just look so darn good.

lol...several people from NY/NJ/PA asked about it actually.

I'm trying to figure out the logistic of sending people replacement feet via USPS atm.
lol why am I not surprised? I'm about 45 minutes away but I don't think I could have suggested it with a straight face :p

I think the case wobble is due to the flex of the case at the rivet points. Its essentially not square. When its weighed down by the components, it is simply forced to square up by weight, or even to a small degree, the installation of components. My case will still flex if I apply a force to it, its just belt flat on the table as its no longer feather light as it was out of the box.
I think it's most likely variation in the chassis as well. Unless someone can definitively show it to be an issue with the variation in the feet themselves, which I don't think is likely at all. But if your case wobbles, you can test it by swapping one of the feet from a wobbling corner to a non-wobbling corner and see if that changes anything.

Would using the chassis without any feet impact it in any way other than temperatures due to the fans/GPU not being able to get as much air?

Just received my NCASE M1 V2 in the UK. I'm very pleased with the case, and would like to thank you guys for making this happen.

Looking forward to building in it once Silverstone ships SFX 600 watt PSU's. :)

Yeah, this seems to be a common problem. I'm guessing that the plastic "dries out" and cracks too easily. Lian Li should perhaps try another plastic or change the construction of these clips.

It happened to all four clips in the top of my M1 after about half a year or so.

I got a bunch of replacement clips through the Ncase site.

So there is chance that the plastic can break on all cases in a relatively short time, given enough remove/add of the panels?

Anyone knows if this a problem with the V2 version of the case, as well? Has Lian Li said anything?

I am waiting for my case to arrive, and wasn't expecting to hear issues about plastic in an otherwise amazing case. Hoping for the best.

Would using the chassis without any feet impact it in any way other than temperatures due to the fans/GPU not being able to get as much air?
Aside from the potential for scratches on whatever it's sitting on (or the case itself, depending), nothing I can think of.

Is anyone using a blu-ray drive in their M1? I would like to get one in the future. Can any slim slot loading drive be used, or do I need to purchase a specific brand? I see a bunch on ebay that look like they were pulled out of laptops, just curious to know if anyone has tried this? Thanks!

Is there a list of standalone radiators (i.e. not AIO's) that fit inside the M1?
There's not, but any rad with dimensions up to 280x130x35mm should fit without issue. Larger than that can fit, but it may introduce some incompatibilities (e.g., longer might prevent SSD mounting on the inside front).

Is anyone using a blu-ray drive in their M1? I would like to get one in the future. Can any slim slot loading drive be used, or do I need to purchase a specific brand? I see a bunch on ebay that look like they were pulled out of laptops, just curious to know if anyone has tried this? Thanks!
AFAIK any 12.7mm thick slot-load drive should work.

There's not, but any rad with dimensions up to 280x130x35mm should fit without issue. Larger than that can fit, but it may introduce some incompatibilities (e.g., longer might prevent SSD mounting on the inside front).
Thanks for the response. It would appear that that length limitation limits the MCRx20-QP, which is 299mm (i.e. the rad out of the swiftech H220-Elite w/ apogee drive)

Afaik, this is a issue for V2, so far a few people have email me about this. Lian Li will get back to us about this.

Actually my V1 does wobble a little.
It is still empty though and I am confident it will stabilize when loaded.

I'm using one of these and am very pleased with it. They also seem to have dropped drastically in price since I purchased.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
dsc_04682bcuiu4.jpg

Actually my V1 does wobble a little.
It is still empty though and I am confident it will stabilize when loaded.

+1 Same for me. I almost didn't notice it it's so small. Put everything in it, became perfect.

Assembly done.
Still waiting for the SFX 600W Psu.
Until then WM Horror with an ATX Psu :)

http://imgur.com/wXvtHL6

http://imgur.com/fDqpGb8

I enjoy touching the case too much, the finish is excellent. :D

Last edited:
is paying double for the 600w version worth it?
using a 4670k and a 660ti-soon-to-be-870 or 880.

is paying double for the 600w version worth it?
using a 4670k and a 660ti-soon-to-be-870 or 880.
Where are you? I'm seeing $90 for the 450W and $130 for the 600W. If you don't care about fan noise or overclocking, you're probably fine with the 450W. The 600W will give you (apparently much) reduced fan noise and more overhead for overclocking or crazy graphics cards beyond the 780Ti/290X level.

I think it's worth it just for the different fan characteristics. But silence is important to me in my rigs.

Where are you? I'm seeing $90 for the 450W and $130 for the 600W. If you don't care about fan noise or overclocking, you're probably fine with the 450W. The 600W will give you (apparently much) reduced fan noise and more overhead for overclocking or crazy graphics cards beyond the 780Ti/290X level.

I saw $75 earlier today but i just searched now and I'm seeing 90 from the big stores like amazon. I think I saw a ST45SF (non-g) that was $75, so yes, you are right, there are only $90 ones.
Speaking of that, I forgot what's the difference between the non g and the g version?

I think it's worth it just for the different fan characteristics. But silence is important to me in my rigs.

I agree, I will be putting the rig on the desktop.

So, let's say i get the 600w. Now, the only places I see them are newegg, amazon, and frozencpu.
Regarding Newegg, it is out of stock, and when it becomes available I may not be able to just buy it. Also, anyone know when it was recently stocked? I don't want to rely on newegg. Regarding amazon, it's ready to ship in 3-4 weeks, and by that time school will have started and I will need someone to buy my current PSU. Regarding Frozencpu, total price will be $160...yea no. So anyone know where we can get this right now in the states?
Also, I see that some already got their V2. I am in the states and I think I got the USPS economy. Anyone have any info where they are?

Regarding amazon, it's ready to ship in 3-4 weeks, and by that time school will have started and I will need someone to buy my current PSU.
Amazon usually overstates the lead times for products not currently in stock. When I wanted to order a K70 keyboard a few months back it said 3-4 weeks and they were in stock within 2 weeks (not a back order shipping out, but actual stock on hand).

Regarding Newegg, it is out of stock, and when it becomes available I may not be able to just buy it. Also, anyone know when it was recently stocked?

It was just listed at Newegg for the first time yesterday, and in-stock through the afternoon and evening, then sold-out by the morning.

Unfortunately, the bastards wouldn't honor my Shoprunner 2-day shipping for just that one item.. only S&H option available was "Super Eggsaver" (4-7 business days) for $6, which means I'll probably get it sometime in September :rolleyes:

Hey Irek, did I label your custom DEMCiflex filters correctly?

1 x DEMCiflex Filter Non-Ferrous Black/black O/D 280mm x 150mm (I/D 252mm x 122mm) (NCASE M1 - bottom interior 1-piece)
1 x DEMCiflex Filter Non-Ferrous Black/black O/D 270mm x 130mm (I/D 242mm x 102mm) (NCASE M1 - top panel interior 1-piece)
1 x DEMCiflex Filter Non-Ferrous Black/black O/D 100mm x 90mm (I/D 80mm x 70mm) (NCASE M1 - rear exhaust exterior)
1 x DEMCiflex Filter Non-Ferrous Black/black O/D 250mm x 120mm as/drawing (NCASE M1 - side fan rack interior 1-piece)

DRAWING: http://abload.de/img/filtervpkjn.jpg

Just wanted to make sure I was ordering the correct ones (I only need the top and side), and in case DEMCi wanted to add them to their website as alternate filters for the M1.

Just a heads up: we've run out of no-ODD slot cases so we've removed them from the order page.

Will you get more stock of no-ODD slot cases, or is that it for the time being [for this current run]?

Also, based on your best estimate do you think you'll still be taking pre-orders for the current run after 8/29? I'm trying to decide between this case and another upcoming case whose embargo is lifted on the 29th meaning reviews should be out which will help make my decision easier.

Thanks,
vpr

That's for V2 or V1 case? Or is there no difference? Cheers!

1 x DEMCiflex Filter Non-Ferrous Black/black O/D 280mm x 150mm (I/D 252mm x 122mm) (NCASE M1 - bottom interior 1-piece)
1 x DEMCiflex Filter Non-Ferrous Black/black O/D 270mm x 130mm (I/D 242mm x 102mm) (NCASE M1 - top panel interior 1-piece)
1 x DEMCiflex Filter Non-Ferrous Black/black O/D 100mm x 90mm (I/D 80mm x 70mm) (NCASE M1 - rear exhaust exterior)
1 x DEMCiflex Filter Non-Ferrous Black/black O/D 250mm x 120mm as/drawing (NCASE M1 - side fan rack interior 1-piece)

That's for V2 or V1 case? Or is there no difference? Cheers!

Think Irek tested these on a v1, but don't see why they wouldn't fit the v2 as well.. not 100% sure though.

If you don't want to risk fitment issues, maybe just get the standard NCASE M1 DEMCi filters that Necere designed.

Back