NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

They are all sold out according to the title. It only took 3 minutes to do so!

I managed to get myself the silver one. I've been looking to buying this for months and I finally have it! :D

Damn it! Totally was on there at 10AM, was getting 'Sold out' when others scored :(.

They are all sold out according to the title. It only took 3 minutes to do so!

I managed to get myself the silver one. I've been looking to buying this for months and I finally have it! :D

did you get the silver that comes with the extra no odd panel? I saw the $206 silver one pop up for me but I didnt want that one :(

did you get the silver that comes with the extra no odd panel? I saw the $206 silver one pop up for me but I didnt want that one :(

I bought the one without the extra panel. I didn't see much need for one so I decided against it.

From the looks of it silver was very limited. The Majority of the spares must have been black cases.

I bought the one without the extra panel. I didn't see much need for one so I decided against it.

Thanks that just reaffirms be suspicion that it was never available, I was spamming that checkout button hard and it never popped up

After checking this thread daily for over 3 months there was only one way this could end: PayPal confirmation in my inbox is dated Mar 1, 2014 07:00:05 PST ;)

Well I guess I will have to treasure my black m1 that I already have more, I just wanted a silver one so bad dammit!

Bman I know the feeling :( Really wanted the silver with the extra panel, but it didn't seem to want to go through the whole of that 3 minute sale :(

That made my decision for me on pickup up a 3rd case... Good luck on the builds to those that got the cases.

You guys have to remember that the cases just sold where spares so numbers would of be very small after all the replacements and spare parts taken.

So I'm rethinking my red/black asus rog impact color scheme.

Been reading that external sound devices are better, so I don't really need the sound card on the impact. Also been thinking about how much I would really be moving this thing around and the answer turned out to be not much, so I don't need the onboard ssd slot either.

The Asus Z87i Deluxe seems like the better deal for me right now. I get two additional sata 6 ports so that means more storage for me.

This changes the color scheme dramatically for me. So I'm going to go with gold/yellow/black/silver design for all the components.

So new part wish list is...

Motherboard: Asus Z87i Deluxe (gold/black)
CPU: Intel 4770k (silver)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Gold 16GB (gold/black)
GPU: Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X OC 4GB (yellow/black)
PSU: Silverstone 600W modular SFX (black)
Cables: Silverstone PP05-E (black)
SSD: 3 Samsung EVO 250GB 2.5" (silver/black)
HDD: 2 Seagate 1TB SSHD 2.5" (silver/black)
ODD: Silverstone Slot Load Blu Ray Writer (silver/black)

The only thing that constantly threw a monkey wrench in my plans was finding a good CPU air cooler that would match the color scheme and perform reasonably well.

I want to do a kind of frankenstein monster of two different parts from two different companies.

For the heatsink itself, I found that I really wanted a black painted heatsink rather than the standard silver.

That led me to the Phanteks PH-TC14CS CPU Cooler.
http://www.phanteks.com/PH-TC14CS.html

It looks awesome. The fans it comes with make it too big to fit in the case as is. They also don't match the color scheme I want as the black heatsink version comes with white and black fans.

So the search was on for 2 slim attractive 140mm PWM fans to mount onto the heatsink so that everything(and I mean EVERYTHING) fits properly.

I found these and they look really promising.

Cryorig XT140mm slim PWM fan
http://www.cryorig.com/xt140.php

The fan is 13 mm thick. THIRTEEN MILLIMETERS THICK! CRYORIG is a new startup company. Their new CPU coolers are going toe to toe with be Quiet's fans and heatsinks in most benchmarks. So I know the performance is there in the fans and build quality at least.

My hope is that I can use two of these. The Phanteks heatsink has a height of 112mm. This with a 13mm height cryorig slim fan should leave 5mm between the fan and the side panel. I've seen reviews where the original 25mm height Phanteks fans can be installed with fairly normal size RAM with no problems. So I expect the bottom cryorig 13mm height fan to be more than compatible with the Vengeance Pro ram.

Also I may be able to get away with installing the SFX PSU normally, as the bottom slim fan might just pass over the top of the PSU without touching it.

Since the SSHDs have moving parts I figure I will install both of them using the SSD brackets next to the PSU. I figure I can find a fairly cheap solution to mount the 3 SSDs onto the front 120mm side panel fan bracket somehow.

I also plan on putting a 92mm BeQuiet PWM in the back panel for exhaust.

Or should this work fairly well. I'm probably not going to OC the 4770k with this and I doubt I'll see performance comparable to the Noctua solutions. But I really want maximum compatibility and aesthetics right now so this is my goal.

So what do you guys think? Am I crazy? :p

Also I hope this fan suggestion helps anyone else pulling their hair out with compatibility issues they are having with other heatsinks and fans.

Last edited:
14f62b1f__dsc9511oxp7a.jpeg

Someone on OCN has a build going, he/she says the side panel fits, but the dual fan/dual rad bracket most likely won't.

Thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1365342/ncase-m1-prototype-a-mini-itx-case/200_40#post_21858788

Someone on OCN has a build going, he/she says the side panel fits, but the dual fan/dual rad bracket most likely won't.

Thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1365342/ncase-m1-prototype-a-mini-itx-case/200_40#post_21858788

With a standard 25mm thick fan I can see why the fan bracket would not fit. But with the 13mm thick fans I suggested I don't see this being a problem. I really want the demciflex filters too so I need the fan bracket to be installed. I can use what little space is left to find some way to mount the SSDs to what would be the front fan bracket. I can't use the full 3.5" drive bracket though. It's literally the only thing that is not compatible with the build I am planning. So I have to find a way around it.

I wonder if you can install a single 120mm fan underneath the cooler as opposed to the top; that way you can install the side bracket and HDD bracket. If so, then that would probably be a better alternative than using a NH-C12P, so long as the single 120mm fan can keep the heatsink cool.

Since a couple people that bought posted they did not buy with the no ODD top, is there anyway to buy one?

I am looking for a black no ODD top panel

Not very happy about not being able to pick up this case for the second time in a row. :(...

I just got a wave of emails about how short the sale was, some ppl were pissed.

I'm going to talk with Necere and Lian Li tomorrow tonight, I think it just make sense to another campaign.

I'm part of the group that tried to get one this morning and couldn't. I think I speak for all of us when I say we'd love for you to do another run. Clearly with how quickly the spares sold out and how much they're selling for used, there's enough demand for it.

I wonder if you can install a single 120mm fan underneath the cooler as opposed to the top; that way you can install the side bracket and HDD bracket. If so, then that would probably be a better alternative than using a NH-C12P, so long as the single 120mm fan can keep the heatsink cool.

Once this guy posts his benchmarks with the Corsair 120mm fan he has, I'll know if I want to try the 120mm fan solution.

I just really like the idea of having 2 slim 140mm fans that can fit without any problems. They also spin at a slower speed while pushing more air, at a more quiet noise level which is an advantage I can't ignore.

The SSD mount issue should be able to be fixed fairly easily. I may even just daisy chain velcro tape them to the SSHDs, that way I don't have to use the fan bracket at all, and then I can even go for the full size 25mm height Cryorig 140mm fan on top. while still using a slim one for underneath. Only then, will I think of overclocking.

Been thinking of making extra perforations on the side panel so that this particularly high temp GPU can get even more ventilation. Then I would need to make a custom dust filter for the entire side panel.

I won't mount the SSDs on the bottom cus the 290x needs that for intake.

The 290x also fixes my sound issues for games and movies as the GPU comes with AMD True Audio built in.

When it comes to sound editing I'll be using a full external sound solution that I can buy at a later date.

What do you think?

I just got a wave of emails about how short the sale was, some ppl were pissed.

I'm going to talk with Necere and Lian Li tomorrow tonight, I think it just make sense to another campaign.

Should conduct a poll targeted to those who didn't manage to buy one and see how much demand there really is. Could promote it on other hardware forums as well to get a broad idea.

Any estimate on shipping times for those of us lucky enough to buy it this morning? Located in Austin, TX

I'm part of the group that tried to get one this morning and couldn't. I think I speak for all of us when I say we'd love for you to do another run. Clearly with how quickly the spares sold out and how much they're selling for used, there's enough demand for it.
As someone who did get one today, I'd also love to see another run and would probably buy another one as well.

You guys should really consider just setting up a small short-term NCASE webshop for a year or two.. selling the M1, extra parts (panels, clips, screws, cables, feet, etc), and maybe even stock a small quantity of DEMCiflex M1 filters and Adamantium's FrozenQ reservoir.

Just leave a disclaimer on the site that items only ship out once per month or something, so you can accrue orders and not have to be visiting the post office every day. Biggest hurdle would probably be having the capital and space for the inventory.

Just a thought :)

You guys should really consider just setting up a small short-term NCASE webshop for a year or two.. selling the M1, extra parts (panels, clips, screws, cables, feet, etc), and maybe even stock a small quantity of DEMCiflex M1 filters and Adamantium's FrozenQ reservoir.

Just leave a disclaimer on the site that items only ship out once per month or something, so you can accrue orders and not have to be visiting the post office every day. Biggest hurdle would probably be having the capital and space for the inventory.

While that would be great for us - they have to meet MOQs and I seriously doubt they are interested in laying out $50K+ out of pocket to make things a little more convenient for buyers.

I Most likely would buy a second case, and/or spare parts :) Also my friend who is planning a build later down the road would probably get in on a second campaign.

T ought I was going to get one of these babies after work (2 hours after 10 AM EST) never been more wrong.

I can just picture the look on my roommates' face when I tell him the Apt will be storage...lol

I need to talk to Lian Li first, the issue is MOQ and minimum $ order for Lian Li.

I can just picture the look on my roommates' face when I tell him the Apt will be storage...lol

I need to talk to Lian Li first, the issue is MOQ and minimum $ order for Lian Li.

i would love an option to buy silver panels only, i am very happy with my case but would like to change the color from time to time ya know? also the fasteners fort he side panel would be somethingn i would love to get my hands on, i have been meaning to msg lian li, i believe necere said that those might be up for sale, along with most of the hardware for the m1

missed out on buying a silver one itself, but happy people got it and i love my case.

Vortaku

PS: anyone know if the twin frozr 4 780ti will fit?

If you do go about doing a second run, please consider some replacement parts or atleast the right links to them. I'm thinking about the plastic clips, the case feet, set of screws, stuff like that. It's get asked a lot and it would atleast help if it was easy for people to order these or atleast easily find out where they can buy them, like linking them on the site.

I appreciate the effort and I'd like to thank you and Necere for the fantastic achievements you both have done !

Whats the total number of M1's that have sold so far? (Overall total from preproduction to spares today)

Maybe you could look into a fulfillment center like Fulfillrite? Never actually done it myself but from what I understand you can ship the fulfillment center the goods, link them up to your online store, and when an order comes in they pick, pack, and ship out the goods to anywhere in the world.

Congrats to everyone that got in on a case this morning, and sorry to those who didn't. There were only ~50, and clearly a lot more people interested than that.

Got me a silver (with optical drive) :D
Just to be clear: the case does not come with an optical drive. I don't know how w360 had it listed on the site this morning, but the description he used may have been a bit ambiguous.

By default, the top panel of the case has a slot cut for a slim slot-loading drive. The no ODD option is the case with both the original top panel w/slot, plus an additional top panel without the slot.

Whats the total number of M1's that have sold so far? (Overall total from preproduction to spares today)
Well, there were exactly 1000 produced during the production run. There were a few that had to be replaced due to loss or damage during shipping, plus some that had to be parted out for replacement parts. W360 would know the exact number, but it would be at least 950-960.

Think I might've mentioned this before, but I'd really like to see Necere design a tiny NUC (or NUC replacement case) that matches the M1.

Get something powerful going like that new Gigabyte Brix Pro.. that can accommodate either a single or 2x 2.5" drives (single 15mm-tall would be nice), 4770R w/Iris Pro (or choice of an i5), toss in a 2TB WD Green and 1TB mSATA 840 Evo, 16GB RAM, and a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card. Something that could be configured as a tiny Steam box or HTPC, but much nicer looking than the Brix and other NUCs.

Maybe something classy like the Tranquil Abel H2..

98VPN9E.jpg

Just an idea for the future ;)

If you are still trying to gauge demand - I'd buy one if you did another campaign. I didn't manage to get one today, and didn't find out about the M1 till the first runs were well past sold out. I suspect I'm far from the only one...

Whatever you end up deciding though - good luck on your future endeavors! Your collaboration and ability to make this actually happen were pretty inspiring, and I hope to see more from you guys (whether it's another run of M1s or something else).

Just to be clear: the case does not come with an optical drive. I don't know how w360 had it listed on the site this morning, but the description he used may have been a bit ambiguous.

Optical drive slot. I know I'm not buying a bluray/dvd drive. ;)

Back