NCASE Build

updawg

Gawd
Part List:
Intel 4770k
Asrock Z87-E ITX
Corsair Vengance 1866 8GB
Samsung 840 EVO 512GB
Sapphire 7950 (Looking to upgrade to a 290x)
Silverstone SFX 450
Corsair H100i

KmjF0Gl.jpg

cc6a8PZ.jpg

fKmfoiO.jpg

tBltqY1.jpg

w4wpcvC.jpg

5RwRTFi.jpg

Khy0cgP.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Cable management is non-existant but my temps are crazy good so I don't care. I am waiting for the slimline sata power adapter to come in so I can use my slot loading blu ray player.

Strange how you'd have to remove the motherboard to change the CPU cooler.... considering there is almost no backplate...

Strange how you'd have to remove the motherboard to change the CPU cooler.... considering there is almost no backplate...
Not always easy to accommodate every single motherboard:CPU location. But in reality, how often are you going to change your CPU cooler? That said, it does look like a little cutout would give you access to the last 2 mounting points on updawg's particular application.

Grats on your build. I have a very similar build in the works but my H100i pump is dead so I have a NH-C12 on the way.

Currently have:
Asrock z87e-itx
Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 16gb
Mushkin Atlas Enhanced mSATA 120gb
Sapphire R9 290
Silverstone sfx 450 w/ pp05-e cables

The H100i fits nicely like you have it will the rad barbs at the psu, the pump barbs over the vrms, and the fans on the inside. Just wish mine worked. It doesn't look like it from the picture but the back plate can be removed and inserted with the board in place.

Not always easy to accommodate every single motherboard:CPU location. But in reality, how often are you going to change your CPU cooler? That said, it does look like a little cutout would give you access to the last 2 mounting points on updawg's particular application.

Actually CPU placement is pretty standard now. And ASrock to my knowledge is the only current mainstream manufacturer who has changed placement. Their its Z77 boards caused a lot of problems for people in small cases.

A case this "custom" and "for the community" I would expect it to have been accommodated, unless its just a 1-off ASrock fluke again.

Actually CPU placement is pretty standard now. And ASrock to my knowledge is the only current mainstream manufacturer who has changed placement. Their its Z77 boards caused a lot of problems for people in small cases.

A case this "custom" and "for the community" I would expect it to have been accommodated, unless its just a 1-off ASrock fluke again.

True, but Necere is probably one of the most savvy case designers on the forums, so there must be some reason for it. It's not always so simple.

Updawg, post some temps when you get a chance. We are all curious how it does.

Corair Link says my idle is 33C with my ambient around 21C, I'll have to do some load testing later.

Hey Updawg,

What ODD drive did you end up going with? I did not see it listed in your parts description...

Thanks!

True, but Necere is probably one of the most savvy case designers on the forums, so there must be some reason for it. It's not always so simple.
It's pretty simple really: boards with this socket placement didn't exist back when the M1 was designed. The design was mostly done in November-January, with the campaign for the prototype kicking off in February. The first of the ASRock Z87 ITX boards weren't shown until March, AFAIK. It's true that there was time to make changes to the design during the prototype testing phase, but for one reason or another I didn't catch it.

Thanks for the information Necere! I am loving this case, hats off to you.

I also wanted to note that I updated the original post with a few more pictures. I added the dust filters to ease my mind about wires inching over into the fan. Also, the blu ray drive is up and running. Lastly, I noticed my front USB 3 ports were not working but it was just because the wire came loose. I really think the usb header neads a complete redesign.

That radiator is bigger than the one my 250cc dirt bike, jebus 4770k doesn't make much heat.

I added the dust filters to ease my mind about wires inching over into the fan.

Aren't the M1s shipping with 120mm fan guards (see The_Cheese's pic below) in addition to the filters? Think those would allow more airflow into your rad, and inside filtration probably isn't all that useful.

Just a thought, and nice build :)

m1_acc_fanguards.jpg

Thanks, your're the best! Gonna order one for my build since I forgot to get the No ODD top plate!

Aren't the M1s shipping with 120mm fan guards (see The_Cheese's pic below) in addition to the filters? Think those would allow more airflow into your rad, and inside filtration probably isn't all that useful.

Just a thought, and nice build :)

m1_acc_fanguards.jpg

If my temps are fine with these I am going to keep them as I think those fan covers are kind of tacky looking, but I honestly forgot about them so thanks for the reminder!

Wow, thank you for the pictures, I was so undecided on what cooler to get, was planning on H100i or some good quality heatsink, but the way the whole Questions/answers and tips and tricks posted in one topic get flooded by other posts in a heart beat, making it hard to find good information.

I got the Asrock Z87 coming in, with a i5-4570S 65w , I know the H100i might be overkill, but I want it to be a one overkill HTPC. your H100i picture just made my day, thank you now I know the last component I need to purchase.

Hi, nice build. I am in the middle of putting mine together. Can I ask how the PSU runs in that orientation. Having not fired mine up yet I don't know whether the fan is push or pull.

As I have a 120mm fan opposite it I figure if the fan runs push [air into psu] then I would be better off having the psu fan on the inside of the case facing the 120mm on the side.

Cheers,
Jim

It exhausts out the top so it would probably be best to use the same orientation as in my photo.

Hey Updawg,

Is that your SSD I see beside the PSU and to the right of the CLC?

Also, I bought a reference GTX 780 and am planning on stacking my SSD and 2.5in 1TB drive under what would be the left side of the GPU. Do you feel like you would have enough room in your configuration to manage that?

Thanks for your time,
B

Last edited:
Yes that is the SSD It mounts with three screws and rubber grommets that lock in place on the rear side of the front panel. This still allows for the optical drive to be mounted as well. The 3.5" drive can be installed under the the 780 and as long as the cooler is the blower style as there is only one intake fan and it won't effect air flow.

Thank you sir. You guys that have already built are very helpful. Will be posting pics of my build next Saturday barring no problems with parts shipment!

Thanks again!

Back