NAS suggestion

charold

Limp Gawd
I'm running an ancient Buffalo Terastation that barely gets 35MBps realworld speeds on 1Gb ethernet. I also have a SFF Dell Optiplex running primarily Kodi on it. I have someone in need of a computer and that Dell is completely overkill for what I need it for.

I see a QNAP TS-453-Pro-8gb with 4x4TB WD Red NAS drives for $1000 OBO. Considering it's been on sale for 2months, the guy sounds ready to sell. I'm thinking I could get it for $900 which is considerably cheaper than I could buy all that new. The NAS still has plastic wrap on it, but the drives have been opened and tested.

This would replace my Kodi box, as well as my NAS obviously, but $900 is a lot to stomach right now after the holidays.

I'm really looking to cut the cord as far as cable goes, but I need it to be easy for my roommate to use (he pays the cable bill anyways). It'd be nice to have an all-in-one solution like the QNAP, but maybe there are other solutions? I have an AppleTV (1st gen?) I got for free that could be hacked maybe.

My main killer right now is Amazon Prime, which doesn't work seamlessly that I've seen with Kodi which is a real bummer. I have very little local storage needs really, mainly stream things.

I have FreeNAS experience at work, building a box from an old Dell R510, and was looking at a DIY FreeNAS box using something like this for example. Asus Server ITX, but then I'm above the price of the QNAP with drives by a long shot.

Anything affordable for an all-in-one NAS/HTPC box? Low power is also a concern.

I've decided on a Roku 3 and 2nd gen Raspberry Pi with Kodi on it, keeping my existing NAS for now.

I found this kit Raspberry Pi 2 that seems like it has everything I need to get started.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
First, this might be a good option for you, a Dell T20 mini-tower:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1883753

If not, I would just go with a dedicated streaming box(es) like a roko/firetv/appletv etc. and a seperate nas. Otherwise, I'd lean towards the QNAP for ease of use and setup. Yeah, you pay more but time = money.

I have a small itx box with an asrock mobo and its ok, but not what I would call easy to use or cheap in the long run. It beats out the QNAP speed wise for the same money (sans drives) but getting it running in FreeNAS or something else takes time and I've had issues with freenas.

You can build an unRaid box out of about anything, use any size drives, run Docker for things like Plex server to stream from and get a ROKU

That is what I do. Good luck

You can build an unRaid box out of about anything, use any size drives, run Docker for things like Plex server to stream from and get a ROKU

That is what I do. Good luck

Great suggestion! I haven't looked at unRAID in quite awhile, but wow is it powerful with the new version 6 release! This is definitely the way I'm going now, ditching the raspberry pi and buying a roku this weekend. Thanks again

Back