NAS recommendations

PurduEE

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I have an old Infrant (pre-Netgear) ReadyNas NV+. It's served me well, but it's pretty slow, so I'm looking for upgrade. I'm looking for a 6-8 drive stand alone NAS and I wanted to see what people suggest. I'm not looking to "roll my own," because I'd like to have both small form factor and hot swap bays. The solutions I see are either don't have enough bays (Chenbro ES4069), have no mobile racks (Fractal R2 Array), or the size doesn't work for me (i.e., a regular case with some hotswap bays).

I've looked at the QNAP 659 Pro, Synology 1511+, ReadyNas Pro 6, Promise NS6700, and the Thecus N7700+. These are all within my price range (although cheaper is better). I'm a little concerned that some of these systems are older designs (ReadyNas is a couple years old), but maybe stable is better than new.

Right now, I'm probably leaning towards the Promise or the Thecus (if only for the idea that I could upgrade it to 10GbE).

Anybody?

I like Synology been recommending them for clients and they work pretty well, plus there are models that can expand the raid array using esata.

out of those, only these QNAP 659 Pro, Synology 1511+ I would recommend. You can't go wrong with either.

out of those, only these QNAP 659 Pro, Synology 1511+ I would recommend. You can't go wrong with either.

I do wish that QNAP had an upgraded 859 or that the 659 has something more beefy than a dual-core Atom.

Back