NAS OS

meinzorn

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone ever made a DIY NAS here? (stupid question, but that isn't the one I want the answer to)

The real question is, what operating system do you use for your NAS and why do you like it better than others?

Maximum PC magazine did an article on a DIY NAS with it's own dedicated NAS OS.

I found the article very informative and downloaded the ISO. I think it's the best option when you look at all the streaming support for different clients and even lets you share your iTunes library across the LAN to any PC.

Check it out.

Maximum PC magazine did an article on a DIY NAS with it's own dedicated NAS OS.

I found the article very informative and downloaded the ISO. I think it's the best option when you look at all the streaming support for different clients and even lets you share your iTunes library across the LAN to any PC.

Check it out.

Using FreeNAS. You install it on a computer, do the initial configuration, and then log into a web interface to do just about anything you want. It's basically a web GUI to manage a FreeBSD server.

Using FreeNAS. You install it on a computer, do the initial configuration, and then log into a web interface to do just about anything you want. It's basically a web GUI to manage a FreeBSD server.

Yes. It's painless and rock solid. I recommend this!

Anyone have any hardware recommendations that is really cheap?

Obviously you don't need anything really high end, do people just make these with the things that are laying around their house?

I wouldn't go *really* cheap. The setup I've used and recommend is an Intel DG43NB motherboard and Celeron E3300/E3400. LGA775 is becoming dated, but performance is good, you get an onboard Intel NIC, and it's a high quality board. Add a quality PSU and boot from a USB stick, keep the SATA ports for your storage.

As for OS, I like FreeNAS for folks that aren't familiar with *nix, but if you have some experience there I'd suggest you instead just run a vanilla Linux box with software RAID and set things up yourself.

Does anyone know off hand if freenas can stream media to a xbox 360?

And, do you know if you can setup a torrent server on there? Kind of like deluge so you can run it via a web page?

I just use Gentoo on my NAS. It's an NFS sever and headless rtorrent box with Linux software RAID5.

Back