NAS on two networks.

officeboy

n00b
I have an existing somewhat remote location that I treat as "off site" for the purpose of nightly backups. There is a workstation and sometimes a laptop out there (so a little switch and wifi) We needed to add access to a separate and secure network out there so we ran some new cabling and were going to just wire it up to a PC dedicated for this network. (As a little background; due to terrible application software, network B must be kept secure from network A. )

Also turns out that servers on network B have no real backup plan (the plan was USB drives for 7 VMs :rolleyes:) . So I would like to upgrade my old ReadyNAS nv+ to something a bit more sturdy and new. I liked the way the synology DS1511+ looked, and with dual ports I thought maybe I can dual home it, not the most secure option but not bad I think. I call up synology and they tell me the device does not support being on two different subnets, and that is a configuration that needs to happen in the switch serving the device.

So I'm left with this question... How do I securely implement the red line when network A is 10.0.1.0/24 and network B is 10.0.10.0/22. I have PF sense routing at the server end, but I don't know if it could handle the traffic (~1TB a night). Is this just a switch option? Any suggestions on options, or alternative arrangement's?
BBfav.png

QNAP TS-459 or 659/669 can do all of you want and a truck load more.

Also this is more of a switch item not router. While you can use a router to route between 2 subnets you can use a switch to VLAN off the two networks that terminate into a common gateway, i.e. your PFsense box. Create a virtual NIC, i.e. bind a second IP to the physical interface that can answer when the two subnets want access to the internet.

It can get deeper than this but this is just an idea.

Looks like the ts-669 is just what the doctor ordered. And will keep configuration simple.

I have pfsense and Qnap TS-809 configured exactly the same as your diagram.

The "red line" is different subnet on the network or DMZ

Use 3 nic ports in pfsense, 1 WAN, 1 LAN, 1 OPT. Config the OPT as your DMZ.

The QNAP has 2 ports and they can be on different subnets.

Yup I will recommend QNAP any day over the other boxes simply because the software suite is MONEY!! You get a TON of features and QPKG plugins which is just sweeet!

Back