n00b SSD questions

digilink

Gawd
Hey guys... had some questions about SSD drives. It's been a long time since I've put my hands on any computer hardware and I've recently saddled up again with the purchase of a new machine.

I want to purchase an SSD to use as a primary/boot drive. I'll be running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I've got a terabyte drive now that I want to use to store all of my music, photos, games, etc. and use the SSD to hold the OS.

It's been a long time since I've put my hands on a Windows box and I've forgotten a lot, I've been using Linux/OSX for the last 7 years, so I'm trying to learn all I can. 7 is way far from what XP was and I like it :)

Dumb question... but when I install my apps (games etc.) I would just select the drive I want to install it on? (the terabyte drive in this case). Do I need to mess with or tweak any path's etc?

I see the system requirements for the OS are 20gb for the 64-bit version, I am targeting a 40-60gb drive to keep it within my budget, I should be ok?

I would try to get the largest SSD you can afford - space tends to run out quicker than you'd expect. You can install your games/apps to the other drive, or you can investigate the use of symbolic links, which lets you put the files on the terabyte drive while they still appear to be on the C drive.

I would try to get the largest SSD you can afford - space tends to run out quicker than you'd expect. You can install your games/apps to the other drive, or you can investigate the use of symbolic links, which lets you put the files on the terabyte drive while they still appear to be on the C drive.

I'm hoping SSD's will continue to drop in price.. that's their biggest downfall in my opinion. I ended up picking one of these up at the local Best Buy, going to start with this and purchase another one in a few weeks to do a RAID 0 with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167030

Space is definitely my concern... but was looking to keep this under $100 per drive so this one fit the bill perfectly :)

Back