MY X850XT immpossible OCer or is there soemthing i am missing?

incomudro

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok I have a Sapphire X850XT and I can't run anything with it overlcocked even the slighest.
Temps are find 40c idle.....I cant figure it out CAN YOU?I tried using ATi Tool isnt sopported,unsed ATi Tray tool clocks unstalbe and ATi's own overdrive feature all crash if i try running 3d viewer, any of the 3dmarks games ect......

my rig:
A64 3000+ Winnie STOCK w/zalman copper cooler (92mm one)
MSI RS480M2-LI mobo w/ ATI shipset
Sapphire X850XT STOCK COOLER
1GB Corsair 2-2-2-5 w/LEDs
Linksys wireless G adapter
Creative audigy 2 ZS sound card
WD/80GB/SATA HDD
WindowsXP Pro SP1
MSI COMBO MAXX SATA CD drive
Antec NeoPower 480W PSU

weired, mine is a sapphire X850XT and got it OCed to X850XT PE and runs with no problem
but to be honest with u when u play the games that r out now u wont c a difference, only 5-10 fps gain

i only did it so i can get a higher score with 3dmark05, highest i got was 6513 with CAT 5.3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD 4000+ (running at stock 2.4 Ghz)
300 GB 16 MB cache
1gig OCZ EL dual channel PE
X850XT (running @ PE)
DFI nf4 ultra-D lanparty

Overclocking is not guaranteed. You could just have a shitty card. If it has problems even at default speeds, on the other hand, you have every right to RMA it.

"atitool unsupported" have you tried the latest 0.24 dev build?

Antec NeoPower 480W PSU <----- cough junk cough not JUNK but the neo line isnt the best, i shouldnt say much about antec i love my truepower 550

i had an 9800 XT that wouldnt overclock but 10mhz on gpu and 5 on the ram.. so... yes if thats all you can get then unfortunately its quite possible.

DEFINATELY turn fastwrites off if your gunna be overclocking. turn it off in the bios and in the ATI control panel via the gart control's - this is a command you type from the run line to get the gart display, sorry i forget what it is.

also you never know that card may not like your ram's 2-2-2 timings. i know that sounds wierd but try anything see what happens.

if you REALLY REALLY want to overclock that card, give it to ViperJohn and i guarentee you that he will take it to never before heard of speeds.

If it's OEM, then nevermind unless you are still within your first few weeks (14-30 days, depending on reseller). I was suggesting RMAing IFF it was giving you any problems (e.g., artifacts) at default frequencies.

my friend can overclock his to fucking hell and back...and i can overclock my x850xt pe...we both have sapphire...and we both use ati tool..sry m8 i dno ur problem...

im starting to think its the MOBO, I dont know if this would matter but should i get the drivers from sapphire? instead of ATI site?

incomudro said:
im starting to think its the MOBO, I dont know if this would matter but should i get the drivers from sapphire? instead of ATI site?

No, ATI drivers are your best bet

Sappire doesn't even make their own drivers because they simply use the ATI Reference board design. In case you didn't know, many of the "ATI branded" cards out there were built by Sapphire for ATI.

Are all of these cards you guys are talking about pci express? Anyone heard of good overlocks on AGP cards? Cuz i have an ATI x850xt pe AGP 8x and it wont' overclock at all. Only 540 to 543 core and 590 to 594 mem. I'm in the process of rmaing it for replacement.

kalpha said:
Are all of these cards you guys are talking about pci express? Anyone heard of good overlocks on AGP cards? Cuz i have an ATI x850xt pe AGP 8x and it wont' overclock at all. Only 540 to 543 core and 590 to 594 mem. I'm in the process of rmaing it for replacement.

your rma'ing the card because you wont see the extra 5 frames a decent OC will give? I'd love to hear this justifaction. You waste of space.

Shifra said:
your rma'ing the card because you wont see the extra 5 frames a decent OC will give? I'd love to hear this justifaction. You waste of space.
if you read the whole thread u would know im not you moron

incomudro said:
im past RMAing had it for weeks now

how can anyone even consider RMAing something that ISNT technically broken?

does your card run fine at stock speeds? if so then you would have no right in RMAing the card.

as many others have said, O/Cing has always been a YMMV thing thus nothing's guaranteed.

(sorry to be so brupt but I cant stand it when people start talking about RMAing something just because it doesnt or wont O/C worth a damn.)

kalpha said:

burn in hell....just burn in hell. people like you are whats wrong in the world, and why we all have to pay more. RMAing a card that wont overclock is like returning your car because it wont go 150 when the speedometer only goes up to 120....its stupid and wrong.

incomudro: The statement from ozziegn was misguided, I think he got mixed up between you and kalpha.

ozziegn: incomudro was not planning on RMAing it because it wouldn't overclock, we were discussing whether or not it was causing any problems at stock settings. Anyway, he says he can't RMA it. Consider rereading the entire thread before posting next time, since I think you attacked the wrong person.

kalpha: *Slap on the wrist.* (I won't say anything else.)

just for the record i wouldnt have gone through with RMAing it if i would cos im 15 and dont feel like dealing with it.And 2ndly it wasnt my idea in the 1st place to RMA it! Get your facts straight ! for the record im having progress changed some BIOS settings and no have 540/581

incomudro said:
if you read the whole thread u would know im not you moron

and what made you think i was referring to you? Did i quote you? Nope.

Shifra said:
and what made you think i was referring to you? Did i quote you? Nope.
sorry this is true. i think the problem was the cooling fan @ 5% hehe ATi tray tool fixed that :)

Back